It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 pm 

Cougar wrote:
You need to have the Bonjour Service (shows up as mdnsresponder.exe in task manager), its a key component of firefly

And that is probably the issue, as mdnsresponder.exe does not exist in task manager and Bonjour does not exist as a service. I will dig around to see if I can get Bonjour put back on my MSS.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:30 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Dig here.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Bonjour_for_Windows

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Cougar for this post
dbone1026
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:50 pm 

Cougar wrote:

Was just on the Apple site downloading when you posted. Installed on my MSS, FirePlay now works!!! Thanks for your help.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:49 pm 

Is there a way to get FirePlay to stop attempting to autoconfigure my UPnP-disabled (but manually port-forwarded) router? Everytime I restart my server, a FirePlayWHS warning prevents the restarted server from "getting" its IP address (and connecting to the network) until the warning prompt is acknowledged and the service starts successfully. I currently have my monitor and peripherals plugged into my (DIY) WHS, but you could see how this would be an issue in my normal setup where it's headless and peripheral-less; everytime an update requires a restart, I'd have to be here to physically hook up a monitor and keyboard/mouse in order to get beyond the prompt and restore normal activity. The config page doesn't seem to have that listed as an option.

Other than that, it's a great piece of software...I'm just hoping that since the Add-In uses ASP, that it can leverage that existing security of WHS's IIS (I'd like to be able to have only those with accounts --- and music share permissions --- on my server, have access to the FirePlay page).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:39 pm 
Founder
Founder

Shidoshi wrote:
Is there a way to get FirePlay to stop attempting to autoconfigure my UPnP-disabled (but manually port-forwarded) router? Everytime I restart my server, a FirePlayWHS warning prevents the restarted server from "getting" its IP address (and connecting to the network) until the warning prompt is acknowledged and the service starts successfully. I currently have my monitor and peripherals plugged into my (DIY) WHS, but you could see how this would be an issue in my normal setup where it's headless and peripheral-less; everytime an update requires a restart, I'd have to be here to physically hook up a monitor and keyboard/mouse in order to get beyond the prompt and restore normal activity. The config page doesn't seem to have that listed as an option.

Can you share a screenshot of this? I'd like some more details...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:57 pm 

Yessir...

Attachment:
File comment: Screen cap taken from a console directly on the WHS.
Screencap.jpg
Screencap.jpg [ 401.86 KiB | Viewed 24225 times ]

Until that prompt is acknowledged, the clients WHS Consoles can't see the WHS has being online and it appears that the TCP/IP service doesn't start until it does.

I should clarify, it's not that the FirePlay creates its own prompt, it's just that the WHS prompts with the normal, warning-induced "One or more services or drivers failed to start" message, which I've pinpointed to be caused by what you see in the attached image. Upon testing several restarts, sometimes I'm even able to log into the WHS before the prompt comes up and see that not only is it the only thing causing that kind of warning prompt, but that the LAN connection system tray icon doesn't even appear (and the WHS consoles on my clients don't recognize the WHS is powered on) until that prompt is acknowledged.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:42 pm 
Founder
Founder

That is really blowing my mind, I have no clue how this could be preventing your server from getting an IP address. Can you share the Informational message that occurs right after the Warning, please? I'd also like to see the specific prompt that you must acknowledge. Is the FirePlayWHS Service Started or Stopped in the Services management console after you acknowledge the prompt?

It appears you don't have an MSS, and the date looks to be formatted differently than my servers, can you share some more details about your server, including locale?

I also reviewed the code to check the behavior. If I detect that the router doesn't support UPnP I log the event (as shown in the Warning message you captured), do a few housekeeping activities, and then deactivate the service. It is possible the service takes a long time to start in this case, and causes the prompt. In my testing I've never encountered this behavior. Are you willing to try a test build if I send you an updated FirePlayWHSService.exe?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:25 am 

yakuza wrote:
That is really blowing my mind, I have no clue how this could be preventing your server from getting an IP address. Can you share the Informational message that occurs right after the Warning, please? I'd also like to see the specific prompt that you must acknowledge. Is the FirePlayWHS Service Started or Stopped in the Services management console after you acknowledge the prompt?
Certainly...

Attachment:
File comment: SCM prompt during boot
Screencap.png
Screencap.png [ 111.48 KiB | Viewed 24222 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Event Monitor afteward
Screencap 2.png
Screencap 2.png [ 266.05 KiB | Viewed 24222 times ]

Firefly and FirePlay both function normally afterwards. The prompt happens between the time Firefly starts its work and FirePlay tries to either configure UPnP or whatever other "housekeeping duties" you indicate it does, because the event above it indicates that FirePlay starts successfully afterwards.

Quote:
It appears you don't have an MSS, and the date looks to be formatted differently than my servers, can you share some more details about your server, including locale?
US English with different IMEs installed. I just changed the date's short format in the Control Panel's Regional and Language Options to something I liked better. Power Pack 2 installed, IE 7, Remote Access enabled.

Quote:
I also reviewed the code to check the behavior. If I detect that the router doesn't support UPnP I log the event (as shown in the Warning message you captured), do a few housekeeping activities, and then deactivate the service. It is possible the service takes a long time to start in this case, and causes the prompt. In my testing I've never encountered this behavior. Are you willing to try a test build if I send you an updated FirePlayWHSService.exe?
After testing several more restarts, I've seen that "normal" performance actually does occur a few minutes after the prompt appears if I don't do anything. It just takes an abnormally long time for it to do so. I'd be willing to try out your test binary.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Shidoshi for this post
saaiberke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:11 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Just out of curiosity, what service fails? The entry will be in the System event log.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:55 am 

Cougar wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what service fails? The entry will be in the System event log.
That's the thing. Nothing actually fails; at least, nothing is shown in the System event log during boot that fails. The only thing the system event log shows is that there was an Application popup that says what's shown in the first screen cap from the Service Control Manager...

...which was what I was saying before, the only thing that's not informational in my Event Monitor is the FirePlay UPnP issue that's screencapped.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:13 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Stange; I'd still expect to see something logged.

I'm running the same setup as you , with uPNP disabled and I get the warning in the log but don't experience the message about a service failure.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:06 am 
Founder
Founder

Thanks, Shidoshi, this is helpful. To be clear, the FirePlayWHSService is code that I wrote for Cougar's Add-In, and not part of the FirePlay media player. The log message is a simple bit of debug output I write when the WHS API test for UPnP support returns false.

I'll be honest, I don't think it's my service that is causing the failure, the best way to tell would be to uninstall the add-in and see if the behavior goes away.

As another test, I built a test executable last night that should circumvent the possible areas of delay, and will PM it to you with instructions to test.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:36 pm 

New popup with your test binary has arised:

Attachment:
File comment: After replacement with updated binary...
Screencap 3.png
Screencap 3.png [ 121.25 KiB | Viewed 24213 times ]

And the old UPnP log still applies. I think the prompt occurs sooner though, at least within 20-30 seconds of logging in rather than 5-7 minutes afterwards. Still no new system event error or warning logged either.

Despite the message, Fireplay and Firefly still start (verified in the Services console and by brining up a FirePlay media window on another client).

Should I have installed both the original FirePlay service executable and FirePlayWHS Add-in (such that I'd have three services: Firefly, FirePlay and FirePlayWHS)?

Last edited by Shidoshi on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:39 pm 
Founder
Founder

So that's not a popup, that's a log message, and is a benign message at that. If the behavior changed with the new .exe (I'd recommend you reboot a couple times to be sure), then I'd suggest you uninstall the add-in completely and see if the issue goes away entirely.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:18 pm 

Hello. I upgraded to the new version lastnight and I am receiveing a dialogue box, "this page requires ac_runactivecontent.js". Am I missing something on the computer, which is trying access the music library or is this from the server end? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments:
fireplay_webpage_error.JPG
fireplay_webpage_error.JPG [ 33.71 KiB | Viewed 24209 times ]
Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next