It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:33 pm 

I installed Grid Junction for the first time, and grabbed version 1.4 since it was available. I successfully connected my APC UPS. I performed a power loss test by unplugging the UPS. The MediaSmart Server shut down exactly as it was supposed to. After plugging the UPS back in, I turned on the MediaSmart Server, and now the Health light on the front of the server blinks blue on and off, and all the disk lights are off. I can't connect to the server via the Windows Home Server Console, nor can I connect via a Remote Desktop Connection. I tried resetting the server from the Console, and I power cycled the server twice (had to hold down the power button to get it to shut down). Any suggestions on how to at least re-establish communication with the server so I can diagnose what's up with it?

Peter

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:27 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Are you sure it did a proper shutdown? If not, it might be doing a disk check. Sounds like what happened to me after an improper shutdown, described here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3519

After about 45 minutes to an hour, the server came back up.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:21 pm 

MeSue wrote:
Are you sure it did a proper shutdown? If not, it might be doing a disk check. Sounds like what happened to me after an improper shutdown, described here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3519

After about 45 minutes to an hour, the server came back up.

I ran the server overnight, and the health light was still blinking blue. I rebooted the server again in the morning and after a couple hours now it's still blinking blue.

So far as I can tell it did a proper shutdown. I had the Grid Junction window open in the console to monitor the UPS battery power remaining indicator to confirm the shutdown triggered when I wanted it to (which it did). The UPS was alive continuously, and was still alive 10 minutes later when I re-applied power to the UPS. So as to whether the server had a proper shutdown, I was at the mercy of what Grid Junction was doing.

Peter

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:22 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Bummer. I never installed Grid Junction, but I remember reading about problem if you installed other power management software at the same time as Grid Junction. I don't know what else to suggest. Hope you figure it out without having to reinstall.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:01 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Did you install any other add-ins or made any WHS system changes during the time span prior to this shutdown?

Carefully remove the system drive and check if it needs a Seagate Firmware update, see: http://www.homeserverland.com/blogs/hslblog/archive/2009/03/04/seagate-barracuda-drives-firmware-reminder.aspx

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:28 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I believe you have a stalled reboot due to a bad hard drive. Do you also use an external tower like an eSATA.

Thanks