It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:03 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
Edit: Another thought, can you check the Event Log on the server and see if there are any error messages from BDBB? Also, please check the Services control panel and see if the names are "PDL" and "WHSBackup" for those two services. I doubt they are localized, but it'd be good to make sure.

I think you've got a point here. First, the only error (around 9:30 pm corresponding to 4:30 pm Pacific time) was a ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error"
Quote:
EventType clr20r3, P1 homeserverconsole.exe, P2 6.0.0.0, P3 48791358, P4 whscommon, P5 6.0.0.0, P6 487912f9, P7 32a, P8 1c, P9 system.argumentoutofrange, P10 NIL.

But second, in the Services Control panel the "WHSBackup" service is named "Sauvegarde d'ordinateur Windows Home Server", I couldn't find how "PDL" was translated into French in the service panel, though.

If I understand the point, the services were called, in the add-in, through their English acronyms, and my version couldn't make it. Is that what you have in mind?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:50 pm 
Founder
Founder

You want to look for the "Service Name", it's in the Service Properties. What you see in the services control panel is the "Display Name" which is "Windows HOme Server Drive Letter Server" for PDL and "Windows Home Server COmputer Backup" for WHSBackup. Please tell me what the "Service Name" is on your system.

I'm not sure about that error in the Event log, I suppose it could be from BDBB but not sure... I've never seen it before in my testing.

I'm running this on my production system, and did a 271GB backup last night with no DB corruption. My development system did experience corruption, but it was during the rough initial development and I'm not sure what caused it. It was successfully repaired very easily by WHS.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:30 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Thanks for clarifying this. Results: exact names you suggest are present in the respective service properties: "pdl" and "WHSBackup".

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:32 am 
ubermensch

Yakusa made the Headline over at wegotserved.com with the public beta:

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2008/08/13/add-in-whs-backup-database-backup-bdbb-1004-beta/

But, hey, Yak...I Don't think Terry likes the name :D

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:35 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

On another ground,

In my system, the BDBB is stored on the system disk (partition D). If we look under the Disk Management tab (Disk Management add-in), disks 1 and 2 (which have more than 1TB free) had the same % of use before and after the backup, so the BDBB was not stored on these disks. But disk 0 went from 36% of use to 66%. Now, if we look under the Server Storage tab, the graph to the right shows 8% for system (it was kind of 1% before BDBB) and the legend shows that System is at 166 GB, when it was 20GB before the backup.

Is it something planned, meaning the bigger the backup DataBase, the larger the system disk (disk 0) must be, or is it my system that reacts innaccordingly?

Anyway, as soon as I have an appropriate external disk, I will store de BDBB externally.

Thanks again for all the work you put into this, vey appreciated

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:39 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

He's worried it might be mistaken for Twiki from Buck Rogers. :D :D

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:40 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I see that there are two "Enable" buttons at the top. "Enable Duplication for WHS Backups" and "Enable Duplication for BDBB Backups." I'd like to be completely clear on what each does. I figure that "Enable Duplication for 'WHS Backups" creates the registry edit to duplicate the WHS Backup within the storage pool? And "Enable Duplication for BDBB Backups" allows me to backup the backup database to an external or non-pool drive?

Also, in the window under the buttons, it says "Server Storage 445 GB free", when in fact I have 2.0 TB free. What does the info in this box mean when its not telling me the correct server storage availability? My non-duplicated PC Backups occupy 437 GB of space on my MSS.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:05 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I just enabled "Duplication for WHS Backup" and pressed the "Backup" button and told it to back up the backup database to the server storage pool. Immediately, the console icon in my task bar went red and a message indicating "Backup Service is not runing on server" appeared. BDBB appears to be running as it's now at 2% complete. Is this message normal and if not, what do I need to do to fix the problem?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:43 am 

Dear All,

Premise: I am not running HP WHS but a TranquilPC WHS T7-HSA with two extra HDDs (inside a second T7-HDX unit), which are connected to the main unit via USB 2.0 (setup as 1 TB in the main unit and 2x1TB in the secondary unit)
All three drives are part of the storage pool (I currently do not have any of them setup as "backup" outside of the pool).

I have installed the Database backup addin and run it. Because of storage rebalancing most of my files where stored in the secondary unit.
I have selected both WHS and Backup duplication.

I have run the backup twice and both times only managed to backup 137gb of data - I then logged into my WHS and checked the folders share manually under C:\fs\G\DE\folders - I reckon the WHS backups should be contained in {00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}, which tolals about 360 gb. The backup of the WHS backup was stored in the pool, always in C:\fs\G\DE\folders but this time in {88929185-7F43-4470-9F49-EEF410C7790D}.
Comparing folders I notice that the "backup backup" folder{88929185-7F43-4470-9F49-EEF410C7790D} only contains a part of the original WHS backup folder (Files Commit.dat, Control.dat, Data.4096.0.dat and Data.4096.100.dat to Data.4096.133.dat)
The original WHS backup folder contains all of these and also Data.4096.1.dat to Data.4096.99.dat + a number of other files).

I noticed that the add-in only backed up the WHS backup from a certain date: may this be the issue?

Please let me have your thoughts/questions on the matter.

regards,

Giacomo

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:29 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

JackieBr wrote:
... I then logged into my WHS and checked the folders share manually under C:\fs\G\DE\folders...

I think you're looking at the wrong place. In C:\ there are probably only pointers, just check the size of C:\ and you'll see it cannot contain the BDBB. The backup backup is in D:\folders\{88929185-7F43-4470-9F49-EEF410C7790D}\2008_08_12 or whatever {number generated} and date you made it. Check the size now!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:05 am 
Founder
Founder

cavediver wrote:
I see that there are two "Enable" buttons at the top. "Enable Duplication for WHS Backups" and "Enable Duplication for BDBB Backups." I'd like to be completely clear on what each does. I figure that "Enable Duplication for 'WHS Backups" creates the registry edit to duplicate the WHS Backup within the storage pool? And "Enable Duplication for BDBB Backups" allows me to backup the backup database to an external or non-pool drive?

Thanks for the feedback. There are tooltips for those options, as well as they are mentioned in the Help button and Readme. Please let me know if their usage is still unclear or if you have suggestions on how to improve the wording/help to better document them.

Quote:
Also, in the window under the buttons, it says "Server Storage 445 GB free", when in fact I have 2.0 TB free. What does the info in this box mean when its not telling me the correct server storage availability? My non-duplicated PC Backups occupy 437 GB of space on my MSS.

This is the "Landing Pad" effect, where the primary drive shows the available free space. It's quasi-true, meaning that BDBB stores the Server Storage backups in d:\folders\{889* which can be limited to the size of your system disk, until WHS migrates that data off to other disks.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:09 am 
Founder
Founder

cavediver wrote:
I just enabled "Duplication for WHS Backup" and pressed the "Backup" button and told it to back up the backup database to the server storage pool. Immediately, the console icon in my task bar went red and a message indicating "Backup Service is not runing on server" appeared. BDBB appears to be running as it's now at 2% complete. Is this message normal and if not, what do I need to do to fix the problem?

We discussed this earlier in this thread, and I'm learning that I need to add some verbage to either the Help, Readme, or Backup popup (more likely all of the above) to inform users that BDBB has to disable the WHS Backup service to copy the backup files. Imagine the consequences if a WHS backup kicked off while BDBB was doing it's thing!

To be honest, I expected most users of this add-in to be familiar with the manual steps in the WHS documentation I link in the Readme and Help buttons, I'm learning I need to increase the level of messaging.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:10 am 
Founder
Founder

jd33308 wrote:
Yakusa made the Headline over at wegotserved.com with the public beta:

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2008/08/13/add-in-whs-backup-database-backup-bdbb-1004-beta/

But, hey, Yak...I Don't think Terry likes the name :D

Front Page coverage is nice! And I challenge anyone to come up with a better name. :lol:

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:13 am 
Founder
Founder

JackieBr wrote:
I have run the backup twice and both times only managed to backup 137gb of data - I then logged into my WHS and checked the folders share manually under C:\fs\G\DE\folders - I reckon the WHS backups should be contained in {00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}, which tolals about 360 gb. The backup of the WHS backup was stored in the pool, always in C:\fs\G\DE\folders but this time in {88929185-7F43-4470-9F49-EEF410C7790D}.
Comparing folders I notice that the "backup backup" folder{88929185-7F43-4470-9F49-EEF410C7790D} only contains a part of the original WHS backup folder (Files Commit.dat, Control.dat, Data.4096.0.dat and Data.4096.100.dat to Data.4096.133.dat)
The original WHS backup folder contains all of these and also Data.4096.1.dat to Data.4096.99.dat + a number of other files).

I noticed that the add-in only backed up the WHS backup from a certain date: may this be the issue?

VieuxJules is right, the WHS backups are stored in D:\folders\{000*, check the WHS manual steps documented in the link I include on both the Help link and in the Readme for the specific details.

BDBB stores the backups it creates in either X:\BDBB\<yourfilename> on whatever drive you backup to, or on D:\folders\{889* if you backup to Server Storage.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:33 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Yakuza said: To be honest, I expected most users of this add-in to be familiar with the manual steps in the WHS documentation I link in the Readme and Help buttons, I'm learning I need to increase the level of messaging.[/quote]

You mean after all of my posts you guys still have not figured it out.

When you built this site the only people who probably visited were power users & people in the industry.

Now you've hit the big time baby! 8) Witch fortunatly/ Unfortunatly means all of us posers, wana bes & noobs have found the site.

I think I have earned the right to speak for all of us technology challenged individuals when I say " Thank you to Yakuza, The moderators & the users who help all of us noobs for all of the hard work & information that makes this easier for all of us."

OH & yea " Talk to us like a third grader!" :D

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next