It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:18 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

yakuza wrote:
We discussed this earlier in this thread, and I'm learning that I need to add some verbage to either the Help, Readme, or Backup popup (more likely all of the above) to inform users that BDBB has to disable the WHS Backup service to copy the backup files. Imagine the consequences if a WHS backup kicked off while BDBB was doing it's thing!

To be honest, I expected most users of this add-in to be familiar with the manual steps in the WHS documentation I link in the Readme and Help buttons, I'm learning I need to increase the level of messaging.

I did read the earlier discussions, about the back-up issue, but I somehow got it stuck in my tiny brain that the problem was related to the French version. I understand the show now.

As far as being familar with the manual steps in the WHS documentation to to the backup, I've never read that document. I was waiting for something like BDBB to come along.

Thanks for the add-in. My backup of the backup is at 52% complete now so it appears to be working just fine.

Last edited by cavediver on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:25 am 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for the feedback, I'm pretty sure I'll roll a new release in the next day or so that includes a note in the GUI about the backup service being stopped, I understand it can be concerning to suddenly see red health alerts when you aren't expecting them!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:53 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Is this a manually triggered backup or can it be set to happen at set times i.e. Daily? Incremental or a total backup each time? Does it overwrite the existing?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:08 am 
Founder
Founder

It's entirely manual at this point, and a total replacement, not incremental.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:11 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

yakuza wrote:

So the duplication of the WHS backup isn't automatic with duplication of the WHS backup turned on in BDBB as with share duplication?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:18 am 

VieuxJules wrote:
JackieBr wrote:
... I then logged into my WHS and checked the folders share manually under C:\fs\G\DE\folders...

I think you're looking at the wrong place. In C:\ there are probably only pointers, just check the size of C:\ and you'll see it cannot contain the BDBB. The backup backup is in D:\folders\{88929185-7F43-4470-9F49-EEF410C7790D}\2008_08_12 or whatever {number generated} and date you made it. Check the size now!

VieuxJules, You are right, C contains the pointers to that directory. Still, when I check the folder D:\folders\{88929185-7F43-4470-9F49-EEF410C7790D}\<date of backup> I notice that it only contains 137gb and not 370 gb (which is the size of the WHS backup in D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4})
When I start backing up the WHS backup, I am advised by the add-in, that I have 370 gb to back up (and time to completion is computed accordingly). The backup nevertheless stops at 137 gb (tried it twice, will try it one further time).

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:22 am 
Founder
Founder

cavediver wrote:
yakuza wrote:

So the duplication of the WHS backup isn't automatic with duplication of the WHS backup turned on in BDBB as with share duplication?

Yes, the checkbox enables WHS duplication for the WHS Backup Database.

rplenty was asking if there is an automatic/scheduled backup within BDBB, and I was responding that no, there is no such option at this time.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:23 am 
Founder
Founder

JackieBr wrote:
VieuxJules wrote:
JackieBr wrote:
... I then logged into my WHS and checked the folders share manually under C:\fs\G\DE\folders...

I think you're looking at the wrong place. In C:\ there are probably only pointers, just check the size of C:\ and you'll see it cannot contain the BDBB. The backup backup is in D:\folders\{88929185-7F43-4470-9F49-EEF410C7790D}\2008_08_12 or whatever {number generated} and date you made it. Check the size now!

VieuxJules, You are right, C contains the pointers to that directory. Still, when I check the folder D:\folders\{88929185-7F43-4470-9F49-EEF410C7790D}\<date of backup> I notice that it only contains 137gb and not 370 gb (which is the size of the WHS backup in D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4})
When I start backing up the WHS backup, I am advised by the add-in, that I have 370 gb to back up (and time to completion is computed accordingly). The backup nevertheless stops at 137 gb (tried it twice, will try it one further time).

Do you have any suggestions?

Are you doing anything during the backup? Any error messages? Does the GUI report that it completes the backup successfully? Are there any error messages in the Event Viewer logs on the server?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:39 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

So it will backup the DB when the normal backups are turned on? Is that incremental or can I expect it to take hours each night?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:41 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

yakuza wrote:

rplenty was asking if there is an automatic/scheduled backup within BDBB, and I was responding that no, there is no such option at this time.

Ok. Please excuse me, I'm still somewhat confused. I checked the box "Enable WHS backup duplication" and I pressed the back-up button. What is my MSS doing now, duplicating the backup database or creating a wholly separate back-up of the back-up database? And, if it's creating a wholly separate back-up of the back-up database, will it also duplicate the main backup database? I figured that the "Enable duplication of the BDBB backup" created the separate third backup?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:42 am 
Founder
Founder

rplenty wrote:
So it will backup the DB when the normal backups are turned on? Is that incremental or can I expect it to take hours each night?

The only way BDBB backups up the database is when you click the Backup button.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am 
Founder
Founder

cavediver wrote:
yakuza wrote:

Ok. Please excuse me, I'm still somewhat confused. I checked the box "Enable WHS backup duplication" and I pressed the back-up button. What is my MSS doing now, duplicating the backup database or creating a wholly separate back-up of the back-up database? And, if it's creating a wholly separate back-up of the back-up database, will it also duplicate the main backup database? I figured that the "Enable duplication of the BDBB backup" created the separate third backup?

The "Enable WHS backup duplication" turns on normal WHS Duplication, just like you can do for a share you create. DE is now responsible for duplicating the backup DB across multiple physical disks. This is a separate action from manually backing up your Backup DB by pressing the Backup button.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:56 am 

cavediver wrote:

Enable duplication for WHS backups: Turns on WHS's backup duplication.
This means all your PC backups, created by WHS, are duplicated across your storage-pool disks. By default, they only live on one disk. When enabled, this happens constantly in the background - all your PC backups are duplicated as and when a new PC backup is completed.

Enable duplication for BDBB Backups: Turns on BDBB's backup duplication.
If you are storing your BDBB backup on your WHS storage pool, by default it only lives on one disk. Turning this on causes the BDBB backup to be duplicated across your storage-pool disks. When enabled, this happens constantly in the background - whenever a BDBB backup is run, it is automatically duplicated in the background.

Backup: Runs a BDBB manual backup.
When you click this, it stops the PDL and WHSBackup services, copies the PC Backups to your specified destination (either Server Storage or a specified drive) then restarts the services. This happens whenever, and only whenever, you click the button. It doesn't do it daily, weekly, monthly.

I think I'm right with everything I've said there.

Peter.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:03 pm 
Founder
Founder

Spot-on, Peter, thanks! I'll update the readme with your wording. :D

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:10 pm 

Quote:
Spot-on, Peter, thanks! I'll update the readme with your wording.

You're welcome. :-)

The reason I came to this thread in the first place was to ask what all the buttons did because I couldn't find any 'help' other than the readme. :!: :lol:

Having read through the first three pages, I managed to work out in my own mind what the buttons were supposed to do. I also noticed that several people had either got confused themselves, or tried to help but more-often-than-not confused people further. So I thought I'd throw my tuppence in.

If this was a licensed product, I'd be cheekily asking you for a free license as a 'thank you' but I can't really ask for that with a free Add-in... :)

Peter

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next