It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:12 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

yakuza wrote:
You are encountering a "feature" (I believe it's a nasty bug) in PP1 where data is not migrated off the System Drive until there is 10% space left. I've updated my initial post with this info.

To delete the backup, simply select it in the list, and click the Delete button.

Disk Management shows that I only have 2% left and its not started migrating the file off of Drive 0 yet (at least 5 hours after the backup completed). I'm just going to delete it and start over this weekend when I can get an external drive in place.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:17 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I had the same issue, but DE finally did the job. I would wait a little more to see if it settles. I installed it this morning and only tonight the files were distributed on my other disks. Probably DE is slower than before PP1, we can understand why. :D

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:26 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

A few minutes ago (about 20), I deleted the Backup using the delete button in the BDBB control panel. I watched the Disk Management info for about 10 minutes and the available space on Drive 0 had not changed. I checked the file using Advanced Admin Console and the file was still there. So still waiting for the Backup file to delete, I checked Hardware status to check the MSS temps and they were high. I then checked the MSS Fan Control settings to find that they had reverted back to defaults. I went back to Disk Management and noticed that the file had finally deleted and Drive 0 was back to normal. What would have caused the Fan Control settings to revert back to default?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:14 pm 
Founder
Founder

VieuxJules wrote:
I had the same issue, but DE finally did the job. I would wait a little more to see if it settles. I installed it this morning and only tonight the files were distributed on my other disks. Probably DE is slower than before PP1, we can understand why. :D

ViexJules, I added a link to my original post, linking to the WHS forums where this issue is discussed. It is affecting both my dev and production home servers, and is a very big issue for me with PP1. :( I'm surprised to hear it is working for you, unless you have little free space on your system drive.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:16 pm 
Founder
Founder

cavediver wrote:
A few minutes ago (about 20), I deleted the Backup using the delete button in the BDBB control panel. I watched the Disk Management info for about 10 minutes and the available space on Drive 0 had not changed. I checked the file using Advanced Admin Console and the file was still there. So still waiting for the Backup file to delete, I checked Hardware status to check the MSS temps and they were high. I then checked the MSS Fan Control settings to find that they had reverted back to defaults. I went back to Disk Management and noticed that the file had finally deleted and Drive 0 was back to normal. What would have caused the Fan Control settings to revert back to default?

You are deleting a couple hundred GB set of files, so that can take a little bit of time. I have no clue why Fan Control could have reverted, I know of no other service that interacts with those registry settings. I'm running it on both my systems along with BDBB, Remote Notification, and others, and have seen no problems. If you can get a reproducible test case I'll happily try to figure out what's going on!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:05 am 

yakuza wrote:
JackieBr wrote:
VieuxJules wrote:
JackieBr wrote:
... I then logged into my WHS and checked the folders share manually under C:\fs\G\DE\folders...

I think you're looking at the wrong place. In C:\ there are probably only pointers, just check the size of C:\ and you'll see it cannot contain the BDBB. The backup backup is in D:\folders\{88929185-7F43-4470-9F49-EEF410C7790D}\2008_08_12 or whatever {number generated} and date you made it. Check the size now!

VieuxJules, You are right, C contains the pointers to that directory. Still, when I check the folder D:\folders\{88929185-7F43-4470-9F49-EEF410C7790D}\<date of backup> I notice that it only contains 137gb and not 370 gb (which is the size of the WHS backup in D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4})
When I start backing up the WHS backup, I am advised by the add-in, that I have 370 gb to back up (and time to completion is computed accordingly). The backup nevertheless stops at 137 gb (tried it twice, will try it one further time).

Do you have any suggestions?

Are you doing anything during the backup? Any error messages? Does the GUI report that it completes the backup successfully? Are there any error messages in the Event Viewer logs on the server?

Will try again, monitoring the Event logs.

regards,

Giacomo

Thanks  
 Post subject: Another Great Add-in
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:19 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I now understand why Alex left HP.
1) So he can now admit that the memory upgrade is great ! :D
2) That he can give us useful add-ins that should have been part of the MSS to begin with. Alex, you are the man! 8)

Microsoft looks like a bunch of bananaheads compared to you!
Thanks for enhancing our MSS experience !

Cheers,
Lars

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:47 am 

After installing WHSBDBB and checking enable both WHS & BDBB ny disk space usage soared for "system"and I am now receiving a Network Critical error reporting inadequate disk space on one disk of two.

I have unchecked the two "enable" boxes will my system return to pre-WHSBDBB profile. If not what do I need to do to reduce the "system" storage

GW

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:51 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

yakuza wrote:
I have no clue why Fan Control could have reverted, I know of no other service that interacts with those registry settings. I'm running it on both my systems along with BDBB, Remote Notification, and others, and have seen no problems. If you can get a reproducible test case I'll happily try to figure out what's going on!

I don't know how I'll be able to reproduce the effect unless and untill there is an update to the BDBB addin and I uninstall and reinstall it. Anyway, I really don't have any clue what would have caused the effect in Fan Control.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:13 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Another major tool from Alex! Impressive!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:22 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

"Duplication for WHS Backups" actually happened last night sometime or during the nightly backup. Before last night's backup of all 3 PC's, Disk Management was showing Disk 0 @ 4% full, Disk 1 @ 86% full, Disk 2 @ 36% full and Disk 3 @ 3% full. After experiencing the PP1 disk usage problem with the Backup, I was concerned that the duplication would be placed on Disk 0, filling up Disk 0 again. But all is well. After last night's backups and duplication, Disk Management is showing: Disk 0 @ 4% full, Disk 1 @ 86% full, Disk 2 @ 43% full, and Disk 3 @ 43% full. Disk 0 is 500 GB and disks 1, 2 & 3 are all 1 TB.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:23 am 
Founder
Founder

gwheelo wrote:
After installing WHSBDBB and checking enable both WHS & BDBB ny disk space usage soared for "system"and I am now receiving a Network Critical error reporting inadequate disk space on one disk of two.

I have unchecked the two "enable" boxes will my system return to pre-WHSBDBB profile. If not what do I need to do to reduce the "system" storage

GW

Just like if you enable duplication for your Videos share, when you enable duplication for the WHS backups it will DOUBLE the amount of storage needed for your PC backups. Personally I recommend NOT using the Duplicate features, but rather use the Backup feature to make a copy of your backup to another, separately attached disk (either a Server Backup disk using that new feature in PP1, or another disk connected but not added to the server storage pool).

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:24 am 
Founder
Founder

JohnBick wrote:
Another major tool from Alex! Impressive!

Welcome back, John, sorry you didn't get to help me in the private beta! :D

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Another Great Add-in
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:26 am 
Founder
Founder

GPKing wrote:
I now understand why Alex left HP.
1) So he can now admit that the memory upgrade is great ! :D
2) That he can give us useful add-ins that should have been part of the MSS to begin with. Alex, you are the man! 8)

Microsoft looks like a bunch of bananaheads compared to you!
Thanks for enhancing our MSS experience !

Cheers,
Lars

Haha thank you very much, but 1) I didn't do my own memory upgrade until about a month ago. :shock: and 2) Well I'll agree with most of this, thanks! I figure there's a reason MS didn't include this feature, which is why I've tried to announce it as experimental and a beta only, I'd like to get more feedback from people on how well the restore works, too!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:14 pm 

Personally I recommend NOT using the Duplicate features, but rather use the Backup feature to make a copy of your backup to another, separately attached disk (either a Server Backup disk using that new feature in PP1, or another disk connected but not added to the server storage pool).[/quote]
I'm using the WHS duplication across my disks, so I've got a working on-site backup of the PCs, plus a manual backup to my external backup disks which I'll swap weekly.

Peter.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next