It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:48 pm 

How do I determine this?

And then: how do you recommend I conduct backups to maintain a full offsite copy of Shares and also backups that could restore all of my desktops, in the event homeserver and house went up in flames?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:10 pm 
Founder
Founder

acer_8 wrote:
How do I determine this?

The pie chart on the Server Storage tab, or the BDBB Add-In will tell you when you try to create a backup.

Quote:
And then: how do you recommend I conduct backups to maintain a full offsite copy of Shares and also backups that could restore all of my desktops, in the event homeserver and house went up in flames?

The same way you'd do this with any data. If you've got 3.5 TB of data, you'll need at least 2TB of drives. I'd probably use the built-in WHS Shared Folder backup (add a drive as a backup drive) to benefit from incremental backups. Then take a fresh BDBB backup and move the drives off-site.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:28 pm 

This looks like a great add-in and can't wait to try it. However, I have have been pouring over all the docs & couldn't find not only an answer to my question but my question as well. OF COURSE, it was the very last post here.

Quote:
The same way you'd do this with any data. If you've got 3.5 TB of data, you'll need at least 2TB of drives. I'd probably use the built-in WHS Shared Folder backup (add a drive as a backup drive) to benefit from incremental backups. Then take a fresh BDBB backup and move the drives off-site.

I want to do this exactly the same thing as above. My WHS will have 2 WD20EARS installed (1 now the 2nd within the next 2 days) a 2T external HD is now set up as a backup drive. I will duplicate the shares for RAID, set an SBS server, 4 PC's & 2 laptops for client backups (only smaller partitioned Data drives since all OS's have Ghost images). Then use BDBB to backup the client data and somehow also backup the WHS shares. That is my question. You say use the built-in WHS Shared Folder backup??????? I guess that is the backup now option for the WHS. But what I really want to know, can BDBB be also used to back up these shares on a schedual too? The only option I can see to backup shares is manually. An automated process would really simplify things. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thank you in advance.

Also, I would hate to go in through RDP, setup windows backup to run on a schedual & then break WHS & have to reinstall. aaghh!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:01 pm 
Founder
Founder

BDBB is only for the client backup database, WHS has built-in functionality to backup the shared folders. Neither BDBB nor the built-in WHS Shared Folder backup feature have any form of scheduled backups at this time. It is the top feature request and one I hope to deliver in the next version of BDBB.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:58 pm 

Thank you for your help. 2nd HD installed & duplicating. Going to add BDBB tonight & I hope that process of schedualing backups of shared folders is added to the next version, I will be looking forward to it. This seems to be a very nice add-in & look forward to useing it.

Thanks again. :cheers:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:12 pm 
Founder
Founder

Boshmontro wrote:
I hope that process of schedualing backups of shared folders is added to the next version

I'm sorry if I mis-led you, I've never intended to implement shared folder backups. If/when I do add scheduling to BDBB it'll be for the backup database only.

Thanks  
 Post subject: Upgrade Server
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:46 pm 

I apologize if this has been asked before:

I had WHSv1 on an old single core pentium machine that is on its last legs (old WHS).
I built a new sandybridge machine to replace (New WHS).
On the New WHS, I did not get the Server Reinstall option. I tried some kludges to get the reinstall option, but nothing worked (never rebuilt the databases from the old drives).
So, I did a New Server installation (with only the System Drive), installed all the updates, added storage drives, and now I am trying to manually copy over the Backup Database from the Old WHS, which led me to WHSBDBB.

The Backup database is 2.3Tb (yes, 2.3 terabytes). I am backing up 6 computers, one with lots of video.
Note: I have access to the Windows Server 2003 Desktop via monitor/keyboard on both WHS, so I am not limited to the WHS Console.

Question 1: Is there an easy way to directly copy the backup database from Old WHS to the New WHS.

Share the D drive over the network, and use explorer?

Plug in the drives to the New WHS, and copy the data? I tried putting the old system drive in a 3rd computer and copying the database from the D: drive, but it seemed to want to grab data off the other Data drives (i.e. I could not just copy the 60 GB of data on that drive). I was hoping I could just copy that to the New WHS, and plug in the old data drives.

Will Server 2003 automatically span the source and destination d: drives over the pool drives? i.e. find the data to transfer from the pool drive, and on the destination, when the d: drive is full, start storing data on the pool drives.

Before I run WHSBDBB:

The largest single drive I have for backup is 2TB, so the entire Backup Database will not fit on one drive. Will WHSBDBB span drives? Is it as easy as plugging in two drives and specifying both drives for the backup? Or, is WHSBDBB limited to one destination?

Should I just add more storage to the WHSDBDD and back up the database to the Pool, and then restore on the New WHS from the pool on the Old WHS?

Any other tidbits of wisdom before I embark on the project?

Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:45 pm 
Founder
Founder

BDBB is limited to a single drive, it won't span. I'd copy over the network, BDBB supports this or you can do it manually.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
iakot
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:39 am 

Thanks. Since BDBB does not span, I will have to figure out how to do external backups. NAS? or Raid 0 on drives in removable caddies?

I tried installing the Old WHS drives in the New WHS machine, but the copy did not work. I'm guessing it could not resolve the pointers to the other drives.

So, I am trying to copy directly from Old WHS to New WHS. All of the following was done directly on each machine, and not through the WHS Console.
1) On Old WHS, Shared the D:\folders directory
2) On the New WHS, used explorer to access the D:\folders directory. I had to log in as Administrator as the guest login did not let me access the directory.
3) Stopped the PDL (?) and WHSbackup services
4) On New WHS, deleted the backupdatabase
5) Using explorer, directly copied from Old WHS backup database to the New WHS.

I'll let you know in a few days (when the copy is complete) if it worked.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:55 pm 
Founder
Founder

If it were me, I'd get the video off of the PC and onto the server to reduce the size of the backup DB and centralize storage.

I don't know how you did the copy, you should be able to get the files directly off the old drives to the new. See this guide for instructions on how WHS organizes files. http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-U ... 573697777f

You might try Robocopy or similar instead of explorer copy, those utilities are more robust and can retry, etc. Do let us know how it goes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:16 am 

Note: When moving the backup database from one WHS machine to another (vs restoring to the same WHS), you may need to edit the registry. Does BDBB save the Registry Keys for the Client Computers when it does the backup?

It seems to have worked. I see the backups for the computers, and I successfully accessed a few of them. Here is what I did:

Situation: I built a new WHS v1 computer (NEW) to replace an old WHS computer (OLD) that was dying. OLD is a single core Pentium (Pentium 4 2GHz) and New is a Sandybridge Celeron (G530).

Problem: When building NEW, I was not offered the Server Reinstall option. I tried various kludges, but nothing reinstalled the Backup Database.

I have 2.3 TB of Backupdatabase. Since BDBB does not span drives, I could not use one of by 2TB drives to do a backup and restore. I tried installing the disk drives from OLD onto NEW, and doing a direct copy of the Backupdatabase, but that did not work (I'm guessing the pointers on OLD D: does not work when it is not the real drive D). Not having spare drives, I did the following:

Solution:

Shares:
Used WHS built in functionality to backup the Shares on OLD to an External Drive, and then restore onto NEW. That is easy.

Backupdatabase:

Note: All of the following occurs on the Desktop of each WHS, not the WHS Console. I did this by plugging in monitors and keyboards to each WHS. It is possible to do it by remote connection, and such, but you will have to figure that out for yourself.

Note2: You will have to give OLD and NEW different computer names, since they will both be on the network at the same time. That can be done under Windows Explorer, right click on “my computer”, and select the “computer name” tab, and click on the “change” button.

1) OLD: Start, Run and type “CMD”. This gets you to the Command Prompt
2) OLD: type “net stop pdl”.
3) OLD: type “net stop whsbackup”. These two steps stops the backup process. You can close the command prompt by typing “exit”

4) OLD: open windows explorer. You can find it under start, programs, accessories.
5) OLD: navigate down Desktop, My Computer, Data (D:)
6) OLD: Right click on “folders” on the D: drive.
7) OLD: Select “Sharing and Security”
8) OLD: Under the “Sharing” tab, click on the radio button next to “Share this folder”.
9) OLD: Click on the “OK” box. You can now close the explorer window. These steps shared the folder with the backup database directly on your network.

The rest happens on NEW:

10) Start, Run and type “CMD”. This gets you to the Command Prompt
11) Type “net stop pdl”.
12) Type “net stop whsbackup”. These two steps stops the backup process. You can close the command prompt by typing “exit”

13) Note: You are about to replace the Backupdatabase on NEW. If it is a new install, no problem. If you have done any backups on NEW, they will be lost.

14) Open windows explorer. You can find it under start, programs, accessories.
15) Navigate down Desktop, My Computer, Data (D:), Folders, {00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
16) Delete all the files in the directory, but not the directory itself.

17) Navigate down Desktop, My Network Places, Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network, [domain] which would be Workgroup if you accept defaults, [OLD] name of OLD, Select “Folders”, or whatever name you gave in Step 8 if you changed the name.
18) You will be prompted to login. Use the account “Administrator”, and your WHS password. You need admin rights to access the Folders directory.
19) Navigate to the {00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} directory.
20) Copy everything from OLD (step 19) to NEW (step 15). It took 20 hours over a gigabit network to copy 2.1 TB of data.

You have just copied the Backupdatabase. Next, you will have to copy the descriptions of the computers. The following involves editing the registry, and all the warnings about doing that. The good thing is: If you are on a new WHS, if you mess up, you can just do a new install, and try again.

21) Navigate up one level (back to the folders directory on OLD), and then down to {378AE094-F4CA-4D9B-BDA5-649D6F738276}
22) Copy the file “whs.reg” (the registry of OLD) to the desktop of NEW. You can now close Explorer.
23) Right click on whs.reg on your desktop, and select “Edit”. This will open the file in Notepad.
24) Keep the first line that starts “Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00".
25) Delete everything up to, and including "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients]". Note: it is all the keys below that you want.
26) Find [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Server]".
27) Delete from (and including that line) to the end of the file. Note: This presumes that “\server” immediately follows “\Clients”. If it does not, then find the next section in the registry that is NOT “\Clients…”, and delete from there.
28) Save and Exit from Notepad.

29) Start, Run and type “regedit”. DANGER: This is the registry editor part, so make sure you know what you are doing.
30) Select File, Import
31) In the popup box, in the “look in” box, navigate to Desktop, and select the file “whs.reg”
32) close the registry editor, and save the changes

Note: an alternative to steps 29-32 is to right click on whs.reg on your desktop, and select “merge”. I did not try that, so I cannot tell you what happens, and if it will work

33) If you want to rename NEW back to the same name as OLD, then now would be a good time to do it (you have to reboot after changing a computer name).

34) Shut down OLD, and reboot NEW.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:16 am 
Founder
Founder

Try a reboot of your server.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21