It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Digital Archound
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:26 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hestaman wrote:
OK - I'll bite...

This topic comes at an interesting time for me as I just recently stored all available bank statements, credit card statements, etc. that I could get online in my MSS. I'll look at this product as an alternative to storing the documents directly in Quicken (which is what I'm doing now...)

I have a question for those of you who are scanning their documents: Can you recommend a good document scanner <$500.00? It would really be great if it had a document feeder and would scan both sides of a 2 sided document (no need to scan both sides at the same time). I don't need all of the fancy photo scan abilities (that's what scancafe is for :D ) I really would like to scan directly to a PDF document to store in either Quicken or ArcHound or something similar. Less important, but would be great: is there one that can do all of the above that attaches via network so multiple PC's can use it over the network? Thanks for the help, guys!

I haven't committed to Digital Archound but I will tell you what I'm currently doing:

I recently bought a Canon MX310 AIO (all-in-one) including document feeder and scanner for $60. It is USB only but can be shared to be used by others on the network. I also have an "older" Brother AIO with similar functionality and is network capable. Anyway, I use the Canon in my office to scan my documents using the bundled software. That bundled software allows me to create PDFs of all of those scans. BTW, it does support duplex scanning although that's not fully automated. You still need to take the docs out of the feeder, flip the pages over, and scan them back in. The software will automatically put the scanned docs in the right order. All of this for $60 not including future ink supplies.

I've been "adequately" happy with this, however, what I'm looking for is a solution that would allow me to index these PDFs so that I can search and find these documents easily. I don't know if it's worth the cost of a Digital Archound to perform this. In my household, I'm the "computer guy" so I don't know if I need a WHS version of Archound and may consider the desktop version and store the database on the MSS (I would hope that you can store the DB on a network share).

EDIT: After some further thought, if I used the desktop version of Archound, I would store the DB on my local desktop and have the MSS back it up on a nightly basis allowing me to rollback to a previous version if I suffer DB corruption or data loss. By storing the DB on the WHS, even with duplication, it won't protect you from DB corruption or allowing you to rollback unless you are doing a daily or regular server backup of the MSS.

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Last edited by All4Fun on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:31 am 

Does anyone know if the Desktop Home Edition is available for Evaluation, on the Archound website the Evalutaion Period notice only shows up under the WHS Edition. As with Richard, I have no need to pay the premium for the WHS edition, as I am the only computer guy in my household.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:08 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

hestaman wrote:
OCan you recommend a good document scanner <$500.00? It would really be great if it had a document feeder and would scan both sides of a 2 sided document (no need to scan both sides at the same time). I don't need all of the fancy photo scan abilities (that's what scancafe is for :D ) I really would like to scan directly to a PDF document to store in either Quicken or ArcHound or something similar. Less important, but would be great: is there one that can do all of the above that attaches via network so multiple PC's can use it over the network? Thanks for the help, guys!

I use the Fujitsu ScanSnap 510 for scanning all my docs (which are stored as PDFs on my WHS). It has a document feeder, can scan 2-sided documents, saves to PDF format and can be stored in its own document management system. (which is, as I understand it, a poor man's version of Digital ArcHound) It's good enough for what I need and I have been thrilled with its performance. It has indexing and OCR capabilities as well. It does not attach via the network, however.

--kurt

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:12 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

JLanders wrote:
Many of you have asked what is the difference between the Windows Home Server Edition and the Home Desktop Edition of Digital ArcHound.

The WHS Edition is designed for multiple users saving to one archiving vault. It allows up to 5 users/computers to save, search, edit, and view the archive vault on the WHS. Digital ArcHound is also designed to capitalize on the WHS security features allowing you to designate whether those 5 users have full, read, or no access to the archive vault. The WHS Edition comes with installation packages for both the server and client computers. The WHS Edition was released Q1 2008.

The Home Desktop Edition is designed for a single user/computer. There is the one vault on your desktop machine that the owner of that machine uses. The HD Edition is slated to be released Q4 2008.

Although these two editions seem almost identical to the user, they are very different. The WHS Edition is more robust “under the hood” utilizing the unique features only the Windows Home Sever network offers.

Thank you so much for your question. We look forward to more of your questions and comments.

Why the limit of 5 users considering that WHS supports up to 10 clients? Granted, most folks won't need 10 clients but there are several people on this board that are at the 10 client limit.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:11 am 

Just thought I'd weigh in with my thoughts on Digital Archound. I did the 15-day trial and before it was over I licensed my copy. I've been using the program since May '08 and currently have over 400 files archived. I use an HP C7280 AIO and scan directly to PDF on my desktop and when I'm ready I drop the files into the watched folder, add some keywords and a description and I'm done. All of my monthly statements go in the Vault along with just about anything else I can scan.

You do need to make sure that any manipulation of the PDF(s) is done before you drop into Archound, as there are no editing capabilities from the Archound interface. You can easily make any changes to files in the Vault with your favorite PDF editor though.

I looked at PaperPort, eDocXL and a couple others that I can't remember right now, but kept coming back to Archound. The program has never once crashed, hung or otherwise done anything other than what it's supposed to. I'm looking forward to the update that was supposed to be released today (guess its been delayed for 10 days) to see what goodies Glen and the gang have added.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:27 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

YumanBeing wrote:
Just thought I'd weigh in with my thoughts on Digital Archound. I did the 15-day trial and before it was over I licensed my copy. I've been using the program since May '08 and currently have over 400 files archived. I use an HP C7280 AIO and scan directly to PDF on my desktop and when I'm ready I drop the files into the watched folder, add some keywords and a description and I'm done. All of my monthly statements go in the Vault along with just about anything else I can scan.

You do need to make sure that any manipulation of the PDF(s) is done before you drop into Archound, as there are no editing capabilities from the Archound interface. You can easily make any changes to files in the Vault with your favorite PDF editor though.

I looked at PaperPort, eDocXL and a couple others that I can't remember right now, but kept coming back to Archound. The program has never once crashed, hung or otherwise done anything other than what it's supposed to. I'm looking forward to the update that was supposed to be released today (guess its been delayed for 10 days) to see what goodies Glen and the gang have added.

Thanks YumanBeing for weighing in with your thoughts about Digital Archound. I especially like the fact that you looked at PaperPort as that's what I was using at one point.

I have yet to commit to Archound but I may revisit that since I continue to scan documents but have no way of indexing and easily finding those documents when I need them.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:07 am 

I have the evaluation copy of the desktop version of Archound. I am hoping to start trying out this weekend (the WHS version doesn't really fit my needs since I am the only one who would be using), and will give my thoughts then.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:02 pm 

All4Fun wrote:
Thanks YumanBeing for weighing in with your thoughts about Digital Archound. I especially like the fact that you looked at PaperPort as that's what I was using at one point.

I have yet to commit to Archound but I may revisit that since I continue to scan documents but have no way of indexing and easily finding those documents when I need them.

My pleasure. Probably the biggest thing that drew me to Archound and away from PaperPort was the interface. It's not that Archound has a perfect interface, but it just made more sense to me. I work for my local city and we use a Hummingbird/OpenText DMS that is extremely powerful. (It should be at over $100k in price) There just seemed to be a lot of similarities between the two.

Regardless of which way you go with document management, you do need to sit down and figure out some kind of scheme to organize your stuff. Archound allows you to create categories, subcategories, and then assign keywords, a title and a description, as well as a few other things, to any document you drop in. But if you don't do a little planning ahead of time, your document vault can get pretty messy pretty quickly. 8)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:22 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Anyone care to share their organizational strategies/structures?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:11 pm 
Mr. XXX

Im waiting util they come out with the 64bit Vista version but I am eager to hear your pointers on your organization of your paperwork....
Also, I know we are all limited on time, but maybe a more detailed review of the software?

CFI ESata 4 Bay Enclosure
San Digital 4 Bay Enclosure-USB ( for backup )
3 Apple TVs - Streaming from MSS
2 Xbox 360 - Streaming from MSS

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:42 am 

I installed the Desktop version of Digital Archound this weekend and had a few minutes to play around with it. I don't have a scanner at home yet, but I have one at work, so I scan my bills/docs there. I kept having issues with the software recognizing the location of my pdfs on my PC, and just got frustrated. I will take another crack at it this weekend, see if I was just doing something stupid. My only complaint as of now until I have more of a chance to test out is that Archound does not support Vista with its PDF Digitizer Printer (32 bit or 64 bit, of course nothing 64 bit is supported currently)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:23 pm 
Mr. XXX

Any news on the Vista x64 bit version......
Ive been waiting to give this software a try as my papeless items are really getting out of hand

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:16 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Side Note:

While waiting for the Digital ArcHound PDF digitizer for Windows Vista to be released.

I have stumbled accross a free one that does work with Vista and Digital ArcHound.

Cute PDF Writer

I had been only able to store documents that were already in PDF form.

Now I can easily convert any document to PDF form.

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:47 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

CBick wrote:
Side Note:

While waiting for the Digital ArcHound PDF digitizer for Windows Vista to be released.

I have stumbled accross a free one that does work with Vista and Digital ArcHound.

Cute PDF Writer

I had been only able to store documents that were already in PDF form.

Now I can easily convert any document to PDF form.

CutePDF Writer is an excellent utility. So much so, that our company purchased licenses and has made it part of our standard desktop image for creating PDF files.

I certainly endorse it and use it frequently myself.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:25 am 
Mr. XXX

I use Cute PDF but what Im waiting on is the cleint software for the x64 vista

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next