It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:23 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I noticed that they registered tonight under User Name GHansen.

They should be avalible to answer questions soon.

I discover today that my notebook has a PDF converter installed on it called ABBYY fine reader.

I have been scanning ad saving documents all night. Report cards, Insurance docs, Investment statements. anything and everything that I can get my hands on.

I have downloaded and stored every user manuel for every camera, TV, lawnmower that I own and still have less than 100 MB stored.

I don't think that disk space would be much of an issue unless multi people were trying to store every piece of junkmail that came by.

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:10 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So I have a few questions:

1 Are these scanned in receipts and documents as good as the originals? I mean I i have an issue can I print them out and have them honored by whom ever?

2 Are you scanning and keeping the originals or screwding them after scanning.

3 Are the files regular PDF can I burn them to disk and take them to say a computer that doesnt have archhound an read them?

4 what is this about PDF do I need to buy this program then buy a PDF creator program also?

Thanks for the info in advance. The more and more I think about getting the most out of my server and cleaning up paper files the more this doesnt sound like a horrible idea.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:56 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

We appreciate the comments and feedback to improve Digital ArcHound - Windows Home Server Edition. We think that the concept of the Home Server is a positive move for the future of home computing (and small offices). And, our goal is to provide you with great tools for you to easily archive and recall all kinds of documents.

We will do our best to answer most questions regarding Digital ArcHound posted in this forum.

Some answers to posted questions:
1 Are these scanned in receipts and documents as good as the originals? I mean I i have an issue can I print them out and have them honored by whom ever? Several Digital ArcHound users are archiving their receipts and printing/cutting them for store returns with success, but it is up to the store to honor the receipt. The quality of the reprint output also depends on the resolution of your scanner/PDF writer and printer.

3 Are the files regular PDF can I burn them to disk and take them to say a computer that doesnt have archhound an read them? Digital ArcHound documents are stored as regular PDF documents and can be saved and/or saved to other disks.

4 what is this about PDF do I need to buy this program then buy a PDF creator program also? Digital ArcHound will both process existing PDFs and create new PDFs when binding multiple PDFs, spliting or rotating documents.

Best Regards,
Glenn Hansen and the Digital ArcHound Team (GHansen)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:07 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Digital ArcHound PDF Digitizer and other PDF Printers

Most PDF printers will work great with Digital ArcHound, but they typically require an additional step of typing in a file name and selecting an output folder. Many output folders are automatically monitored by Digital ArcHound, but if your PDF writer's folder is not monitored, the DA settings can be configured to do so.

Our goal in providing a free PDF Digitizer is to streamline the whole archiving process. The Digital ArcHound PDF Digitizers are designed to eliminate the manual "file save as..." step in order to make the archiving experience just a bit easier.

We will be releasing a 32-bit Vista PDF Digitizer in Q3 2008.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:11 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate the info. what do you mean by binding? If I use my plain jane scanner Arch Hound will take care of everything else?

I might be trying this very soon.

we must have been posting close to the same time I think the above post answers the question I had.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:30 pm 

GHansen - can you clarify what is the main difference between the WHS version and the Desktop Home Edition ( I see the WHS version is priced @ $79.99 vs. the Desktop Home Edition @ $49.99). Thanks

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:26 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

The receipts that I have been saving are for purchases that I make
online. Ie... for printers, Computer & other large purchases were you can just download a PDF of the receipt or copy of warranty.

I had not even thought about scanning regular receipts. Thats another thing that I can now start doing.

I store
#1. Birth certifacates
#2. Will
#3. Insurance papers
#4. Broker statements
#5. Bank Statements
#6. Monthly bill statements.
#7. Owners manuals
I know that some of these Items can be pulled up from the websites anytime should you need them, but it's more convenient for me to go ahead and save them when I'm there the first time.

I do shred the documents I feel that I don't need a "hard copy" of anymore. Any important documents like insurance papers, wills, birth certifacates and others I scan and then place in my safe deposit box.
This way if I need the doc I can go get it and if I just need some info from the doc I also have it right there handy. I also place a memo with the saved document telling myself were the hard copy is located should I ever need to have the original in hand.

I realize that some people might say that saving all of these documents will be taking up space on the server. It seems to me that you can store an awful lot of documents in a relatively small amount of disk space. So unless you just keep ginormus amounts of documents stored I don't think that you will notice the used storage space.

One Idea that I just though of for a future version would be the ability to add a purge date to your documents if you wanted to. Maybe you could set it to purge all tax related documents every 7 years and other documents after 12 months & even never on some documents.

That might make managing the documents easier & help keep from having documents that you only needed for a year or 2 taking up space.

What do you think Glenn?

Yes I know!! I praise this product alot. Thats because this is the first ADD-ON that I have found that actually lets me utilize my server for more than just storing pictures and daily back-ups.

For discloser puposes I do not or have not ever worked for Digital ArcHound & I am a paying customer. But I have sent Glenn Hansen & his team several Emails asking to be included in their next versions beta. :D

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:39 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Reading the recent posts above is making Digital Archound something for me to seriously consider.

I am using a version of Paperport (read: stripped down version) that was included with my purchased scanner. It works but there is a lot of manual interaction with the software to make everything work.

I like the automatic PDF digitizing that Archound is advertised to have.

GHansen or anyone, what distinguishes Archound from using Paperport?

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:41 am 
Mr. XXX

I agree with you All....
The only thing thats stopping me right now is that they dont have a version for 64 bit Vista....
Im really intrested in the program

CFI ESata 4 Bay Enclosure
San Digital 4 Bay Enclosure-USB ( for backup )
3 Apple TVs - Streaming from MSS
2 Xbox 360 - Streaming from MSS

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:58 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

There was a question earlier, "What is binding?"

We use the term binding when two or more PDFs are concatenated into a single document to be archived. The binding is done in order of document appearance in the Digital ArcHound workspace (the first tab in the DA client).

You can change the order of the documents to be bound together by dragging and dropping documents in the desired order.

In the upcoming release, you will be able to split documents into separate pages to either re-order the pages and/or archive a subset of the original pages in a document.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:05 pm 
Mr. XXX

GHANSEN - Can you tell us if the Vista x64 version is on track for the 4th qtr of 2008? Im really juest waiting for that to come out to meet my paperless needs.....

CFI ESata 4 Bay Enclosure
San Digital 4 Bay Enclosure-USB ( for backup )
3 Apple TVs - Streaming from MSS
2 Xbox 360 - Streaming from MSS

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:30 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

The question was asked, "Is the Vista x64 version on track for Q4 2008 release?" [paraphrased]

We are still on target for a Q4 2008 release. Most critical features of the 64-bit version of Digital ArcHound client are complete. The Digital ArcHound Team has debated whether to release the 64-bit client without all of the 32-bit client features in order to have a presence in the 64-bit world. After the 64-bit client is released, we plan to release a 64-bit PDF Digitizer (PDF printer) at no charge.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:27 am 

Many of you have asked what is the difference between the Windows Home Server Edition and the Home Desktop Edition of Digital ArcHound.

The WHS Edition is designed for multiple users saving to one archiving vault. It allows up to 5 users/computers to save, search, edit, and view the archive vault on the WHS. Digital ArcHound is also designed to capitalize on the WHS security features allowing you to designate whether those 5 users have full, read, or no access to the archive vault. The WHS Edition comes with installation packages for both the server and client computers. The WHS Edition was released Q1 2008.

The Home Desktop Edition is designed for a single user/computer. There is the one vault on your desktop machine that the owner of that machine uses. The HD Edition is slated to be released Q4 2008.

Although these two editions seem almost identical to the user, they are very different. The WHS Edition is more robust “under the hood” utilizing the unique features only the Windows Home Sever network offers.

Thank you so much for your question. We look forward to more of your questions and comments.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:19 pm 

Hi Jennifer,

Appreciate the response. Are both the WHS and desktop versions available for the 15 day trial period? On your website it mentions the evaluation period under the WHS download but not under the Desktop download. Thanks

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Digital Archound
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:57 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

OK - I'll bite...

This topic comes at an interesting time for me as I just recently stored all available bank statements, credit card statements, etc. that I could get online in my MSS. I'll look at this product as an alternative to storing the documents directly in Quicken (which is what I'm doing now...)

I have a question for those of you who are scanning their documents: Can you recommend a good document scanner <$500.00? It would really be great if it had a document feeder and would scan both sides of a 2 sided document (no need to scan both sides at the same time). I don't need all of the fancy photo scan abilities (that's what scancafe is for :D ) I really would like to scan directly to a PDF document to store in either Quicken or ArcHound or something similar. Less important, but would be great: is there one that can do all of the above that attaches via network so multiple PC's can use it over the network? Thanks for the help, guys!

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next