It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Re: Digital Archound
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:13 pm 

Yeah, ive been lurking for a while now obviously.

I have seen the other sharepoint threads but I just saw that no one was offering up a free solution that should handle similar issues.

Thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:07 am 

All4Fun wrote:
/ rant on

I must say that Archound's website reads like a "mom and pop" shop. I hope they consider re-designing it. While I want to invest in their product (more specifically the desktop version), their website leaves me an impression that the product was developed by a single person in their garage. And with the long delays in the product release, it makes me wonder if they're going to be around in the long term.

It doesn't help that they advertise that the retail release of the desktop version is available and clicking on the download link brings me to a request to join their beta/release candidate program. Not polished at all.

/rant off

My wife and I have ran our household and 2 businesses as paperless since 2001. We used to manage all of our documents using Adobe Acrobat Professional by creating bookmarks, which was really a pain but met our needs better than the software available at the time. We switched to Archound in 2007 and so far have had 3 updates. All of them have been fantastic, getting better with each update - the way software should be!

Because Archound does not change the PDF into a proprietary file we will be happy to use for as long as it is around, which at this point looks like it will be quite some time. I think that is the best thing about software like this - they are not trying to lock us into their software. The let us choose and easily move our data should we ever want to use another application.

As for us, we do not want another paperless product and Archound seems to be very interested in updates and enhancements foe the long haul. I highly recommend you check it out, like us you will not be disappointed.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank NWilliam for this post
All4Fun
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:56 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Great first post, NWilliam! Welcome to the World of WHS/MSS. Good to have you aboard!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:01 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

NWilliam, thanks for your post. As a result of it, I've decided to trial the desktop version of the software and see how it goes. I really need something to index my scans so that I can easily find the documents when I need them. I hope Archound does the trick.

Again thanks.

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:01 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Does anybody know when the new 2010 version is coming out? I got an e-mail from them about a month ago about it - but no specific details. I was surprised they were marketing the 2010 version in October, but suppose that is the way to go with software :) I have Digital Archound and like the idea behind it, but find the implementation weak. My main issue is with the category/subcategory functions. They totally work independant of each other which I find counter-intuitive. I wish I could select 'Utilities' from the category field and have the subcategory populate 'Cable, Electricity, Water, Phone' Right now, there is a long list of categories and a long list of sub categories and you can easily accidentally associate a document with the wrong category/subcategory. For instance, under 'Bills' category I have 'Hospital' and 'Clinic'. But I also have an Insurance category that has 'Hospital Visits' and 'Clinic Visits' and it all gets very confusing without any link between the category and subcategory. Anyway - again - I like the concept but there needs to be a few refinements. The 2010 promo e-mail I received said that there was improvements in this area and I am looking forward to its' release.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:23 am 

hestaman wrote:
Does anybody know when the new 2010 version is coming out?

It's currently at Beta Release 1 with BR2 expected sometime in early December. As for your question about the category/subcategory process, it appears that at least for now, it works the same way as the previous version.

Thanks