It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:59 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Awesome Addin - got it working easily with a local SMTP server all locked down to stop relay and everything. Its cracking thanks.

Andy

Your forcibly closed error could well be something forcing the socket shut on route between your MMS and the mail server. It could be a firewall or proxy or any number of things. My first suggestion would be to telnet to the smtp socket at your mail host. If you RDP into the MMS and run a command window you can telnet like this:

telnet outgoingSMTPserver 25

Where outgoingSMTPserver is the outgoing mail server from your outlook setup and 25 is the outgoing mail server port.

I have attached a screenshot of what I get back. I wouldn't expect you to get exactly the same but something should be returned. If you just get a blank black screen then you are not communicating with the mail server. I would expect the first bit of text to be "220" - I get that from all 3 of the smtp servers I have telneted to.

If you don't get a connection check things like your firewall setup and any proxy server/router setups.

Hope this helps (and sorry if you know all this but you never know ppls level of expertise).

Pev

Attachments:
telnet.jpg
telnet.jpg [ 15.15 KiB | Viewed 21575 times ]

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:22 pm 

Peverel wrote:
My first suggestion would be to telnet to the smtp socket at your mail host. If you RDP into the MMS and run a command window you can telnet like this:

telnet outgoingSMTPserver 25

Never thought of telnetting into it. Based on your lead I tried using a non-secure connection and it worked. Strange, because Yahoo recommends that you use SSL when you configure Outlook as your mail client. Outlook is configured with SSL at port 465 and sends mail fine, however this add-in must be configured with good ol' port 25. My guess is it has something to do with Yahoo's mail server routing; they've chaned it recently. Peverel, thank you!

On a side note, maybe the author could add this little nugget of info to his OP

Excellent add-in, thank you!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:35 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks for the add in. It worked first time and every time.
May I make a suggestion for inclusion in the next update (if you have the time)
Could you add a field in the settings page where you enter your server home page ie, "myname.homeserver.com"
Then when an email is received the link to your homeserver is displayed in the email.
That way you can just click on the link to your homeserver and investigate the notification.
Thanks again for all the hard work you put in.
Phil

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:47 am 
Founder
Founder

phil wrote:
Thanks for the add in. It worked first time and every time.
May I make a suggestion for inclusion in the next update (if you have the time)
Could you add a field in the settings page where you enter your server home page ie, "myname.homeserver.com"
Then when an email is received the link to your homeserver is displayed in the email.
That way you can just click on the link to your homeserver and investigate the notification.
Thanks again for all the hard work you put in.
Phil

That's a good idea, Phil, and I shouldn't need to ask the user for that value and instead believe I can grab it from the WHS SDK or at least from the registry or HP .ini file. As a teaser, I've actually been playing with a new version of Remote Notification, basically some significant cleanup now that I know better how to use the SDK, utilizing the WHS controls instead of my own custom copycat controls, and reorganizing the interface to have more features. No promises on when it will release, but I've not forgotten this add-in... :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:37 am 

I have run into a small roadblock with this add-in and am looking for a little help. I installed the remote notification add-in about 2 weeks ago. I sent myself a test notification and it worked fine. Since then I have not received any notification from the MSS. This weekend I was checking out the event log and noticed that there were a couple of events where I should have received a notification but did not. I then went to the add-in and looked at all the information and every thing looked OK. I tried sending myself another test notification, the pop up came up saying that one had been sent, but I did not receive it. I have retyped all the information, changed the receiving address from my cell phone to my email address and back, reinstalled the add-in twice, rebooted the MSS, changed the ports and nothing has helped. I have looked through all of the posts in this thread, trying things that I thought might help, but can’t get it to work. The pop up comes up and says the message has been sent each time I have tried to send it, but I don’t receive it. One other test I did try was sending myself a test notification through the Webshare on the MSS, as it uses the same port and other information and that works fine. I am probably missing something very simple, but can’t figure it out. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks

PS…This is a great forum. I don’t post much, but I am always looking at the threads and the forum has helped me keep my MSS up to date and has shown me how to better utilize it. Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:51 am 
Founder
Founder

I'm glad you're enjoying the forums, thanks for sharing your feedback!

If Remote Notification is reporting a successful send of the test mail, then it seems there's few things that could be wrong. Have you checked the spam folder of your incoming mail account? What mail service are you using? Check the event viewer logs on the server for any errors in the Application logs.

Also keep in mind that unless the notification is active for more than 60 seconds, you won't get an email, as Remote Notification has a window to avoid sending messages for transient errors.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:21 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

And not every "error" in the event logs wil generate a Remote Notification!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:47 pm 

Tonight I had time to check on the suggestions you made, but before I got started I wanted to make sure that yesterdays updates were done. I rebooted the MSS after the updates and for the heck of it I tried the test notification on the add-in and it works. I waited a little while and tried it again and it still works. Hopefully it will continue to do so. Thanks for your help.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:53 pm 
Founder
Founder

Cool, thanks for following up!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:41 am 

Alex I keep getting the following error. I have tried google on both ports 467 and 587 and it is still the same. Any suggestions ???

Attachments:
RemoteNotificationProblem.png
RemoteNotificationProblem.png [ 239.39 KiB | Viewed 21257 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:25 am 
Founder
Founder

Make sure you have "Use SSL" and "Use Authentication" checked. I just tried and it worked for me so I doubt it's a problem with the Gmail service unless it was an intermittent failure while you were testing. The only other idea I have is perhaps your ISP or some equipment in your home network is filtering outgoing. You can try these same settings in an email client such as Outlook Express or Thunderbird to see if you can get them working, that would rule out your network.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:32 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

ALEX: The post above yours does not have a timestamp on it... Whazzup?

EDIT: And then I posted this, refreshed and looked again and it's there...????

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:10 am 
Founder
Founder

You sure it wasn't just scrolled off the side? There was a duplicate post but I deleted it...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:57 pm 

Alex
I found the problem. I was using smtp.google.com instead of smtp.gmail.com. I found that out when I tried to setup outlook for the gmail account. Works like a charm now. Thanks a lot. On another note is it possible for you to release the source code for this add-in ? That way community members can extend/improve upon it. Some of the suggestion I have are

1. Automatic configuration of common account types(gmail, yahoo, aol etc ). This could be done by using the method which outlook uses
- Try normal smtp, otherwise try SSL, otherwise try with authentication, or just hardcode the settings for gmail/yahoo/aol etc
2. In keeping with WHS SDK guidelines, design the GUI similar to Remote Access config screen. This would involve one top level button to turn on/off notifications. If turned off the rest of the controls should be greyed out. Also a separate thread should be used for sending test notification(again similar to how the RemoteAccess config screen configs the router/domain name etc).

What do you think ?

Thanks
dear chap

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:47 pm 
Founder
Founder

Yeah, my readme acknowledges the need for a thread for the sample message send, as well as better handling of exceptions instead of simply putting the stack trace in a message box. I've improved my coding a bit in newer add-ins, remember I'm a tester primarily and not a developer so have had to learn quite a bit writing my add-ins.

At this time I have no plans to release source code to any of my add-ins.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next