It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:19 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
That information is currently available in the HomeServer Event Log (RemoteAccess category) and can, I believe, be reported by the Event Monitor Add-In.

Thanks I looked at that as well. I configured it for Home Server Event Log, Informational, HomeServer Source and Event IDs 2049 (logon) and 2050 (logoff), but it doesn't seem to work. I use the Test button to make sure my SMTP settings were correct, and they are as I receive the test email.

I was hoping for something much easier than trying to do figure out what event IDs it should monitor.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:21 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

You might drop a note to the author of the Event Monitor....?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:10 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
You might drop a note to the author of the Event Monitor....?

I did leave the author a note, but after much trial and error I figured it out. I'm going to post the instructions in a seperate post in the Software forum.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:30 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hi Zanary,

Thanks for the feedback, and for providing the default server name for AT&T. I just pre-populated a quick few I could fine, I'll expand that in a later release (which is actually in the works finally ;) ).

I don't intend to add event monitor activities at this time, though there are a few actions I'd like to capture such as remote login and UPS notifications. Perhaps down the road...

Thanks,
Alex

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:05 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

One addition you can add to this.... today, i restored my computer to a state that didn't have virus software on the PC, and started installing programs... anyway, long story short, i recieved 10-12 messages from the MSS telling me the same thing.... over and over and over.... This app is great, and love it, but if i am at work, i don't want to get a text message ever 15 mins telling me the same thing for 8 hours.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:49 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

smwoodward wrote:
One addition you can add to this.... today, i restored my computer to a state that didn't have virus software on the PC, and started installing programs... anyway, long story short, i recieved 10-12 messages from the MSS telling me the same thing.... over and over and over.... This app is great, and love it, but if i am at work, i don't want to get a text message ever 15 mins telling me the same thing for 8 hours.

So the only way that I know of to reduce the frequency of the same messages would be to check both the Aggregate and Coalesce check boxes and set the Aggregate Timeframe below to every 15 or 30 minutes.

This will combine like events, and only deliver them once every 15 or 30 minutes.

I myself like to be notified on each successful or failed logon and logoff attempt.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:29 am 
Founder
Founder

smwoodward wrote:

This means that the MSS was re-issuing the error over and over, probably due to multiple reboots of your PC? WHS was seeing that antivirus wasn't enabled on that system and warning as it is supposed to, and my tool simply passed along the notifications. You should have seen health alerts popup in the system tray app at the same time.

I don't know a good way to handle this that won't result in falsely suppressing some notifications that should go out... I'll think on it some more...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:25 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hello,

I'm trying to configure Remote Notification to send a message to my SprintPCS cell phone. I use AOL as my email service. Could you tell me how to set this up? I keep getting multiple errors when I try a test message.

I guess I'm not sure what to put in for the Mail Server Settings, or which boxes to check.

Thanks,

SilkRod

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:07 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
smwoodward wrote:

This means that the MSS was re-issuing the error over and over, probably due to multiple reboots of your PC? WHS was seeing that antivirus wasn't enabled on that system and warning as it is supposed to, and my tool simply passed along the notifications. You should have seen health alerts popup in the system tray app at the same time.

I don't know a good way to handle this that won't result in falsely suppressing some notifications that should go out... I'll think on it some more...

hmmmm..... here is an idea.... please bear with me as my programming is at a beginner/intermediate level and i haven't done it in a while..... you could use a bool array (can't remember if you can store bools in an array, but you could always use a string array and just pass "true" and "false" into it as a string). When ever an even is raised, like (warning) xxxx computer's antivirus is out of date..... blah blah blah, remote notification needs to check the array for that notification, if it doesn't exist, then it adds a new object into the array (like the string of the error) , and set the value to "true". if the notification string does exist, then it checks for a true/false value. If it passes true, then it should skip the email. if the value is false, then send the email and pass the value as true....

Now, I haven't dug into how the events are passed into remote notification, but I am thinking of this as if the even is passed to the app as a complete string (just like it is emailed out). You would probably have to have the program skip the (WHS ERROR) and what not and just innitially scan the array.... it's early and i might not be making any sense. hit me back with your concerns in this approach and i will respond when i am awake.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:37 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

SilkRod wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to configure Remote Notification to send a message to my SprintPCS cell phone. I use AOL as my email service. Could you tell me how to set this up? I keep getting multiple errors when I try a test message.

I guess I'm not sure what to put in for the Mail Server Settings, or which boxes to check.

Thanks,

SilkRod

Hi SilkRod,
I keep having that same problem and I have Verizon Cell, ATT Email and Gmail Email. I haven't been able to get any of it to work, even when I alternate Setups.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:05 pm 
Founder
Founder

SilkRod wrote:
Hello,

Thanks,

SilkRod

A quick google turned up these settings for AOL:
Sender name: Your name
Sender email: Your aol email

Recipient username: your phone number
Recipient hostname: messaging.sprintpcs.com

hostname: smtp.aol.com
port: 587
do not check "Use SSL"
check "Use authentication"
username: Your aol username
password: your aol password

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:10 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hi smwoodward,

Unfortunately you don't have experience with the WHS API and how it handles notifications. I already track all existing notifications, if it exists I wait 60 seconds then send the email. I mark that I sent the email for that event, and then when I get a "Clear" event I send the email that the event cleared, and remove the notification from my list. I basically keep a list of Notification objects that contain all this info (plus more).

The problem is that WHS issues the notification, clears it, and then issues it again. The only way I could avoid sending a notification would be to record that I sent the notification, and never send another notification for that event again.

In a real world example, if little Timmy turns off the antivirus on his PC for the 10th time even though you warned him not to, you'd never get the notification. I don't feel comfortable squelching things like that.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:13 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

So everytime WHS resends the notification even it clears it first?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:16 pm 
Founder
Founder

Yup. Take a look at my Notification Generator tool listed in the first post of this thread. It also has a WHS Health Event viewer, you can see how events are managed.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:35 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

ok....... so i kinda see how it works. When the error is generated, it adds the ID, the SEVERITY, Header and Description to WHS's notification. Your app sees the new entry on the list, and sends the email.... Now, when WHS refreshes this data, it removes that error, refreshes the info, sees that the error is still there, and reposts it... Right?????

ok, does remote notification work by seeing that new WHS notification, waiting 60 seconds then it sends the email if it is still there?

If that is the case, how quickly does WHS do this refresh? Meaning, how long does will that error be removed from the notifications untill it is reposted? If it is a short amount of time, like less than a min, you might also be able to track and compair the time/date stamps. example. You already said that the app tracks all the notifications, what you could do is when RN sees the new notification, to also add a time/date stamp to it. Now, you already said that u wait 60 seconds before you send the email, so that will take care of multiple ERROR CLEARED emails, but when that same error is posted back how about making another entry into the "log" with that time and date stamp, compair everything, if everything is the same (ID, Severity, Header and description info), then compair the time/date stamp. If this time date stamp is less 1 min, don't resend the email.

Now, you wouldn't need to keep that list of notifications for very long.... If you are using a timer event you could have it every cycle to also compaire the data/time stamp to the current time/date, and anything over 5 mins you could flush it out of the list. an actual file to store this data wouldn't be needed, and is more code to write, and it's been a while since i have worked with array's and arraylists, but something of the sort might work, as you wouldn't need to store this data uppon a server reset anyway.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next