It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:06 am 

Great add-in. Works very nicely. I've pair it with Remote Alert to let me know when someone accesses or tries to access the server via the web portal. It looks like it sends a text message to your cell phone, which is neat, except when you have to pay for each text message. I use a blackberry enterprise data plan via ATT and that does not inlcude free text messages unfortunately. Of course, I can send and receive as many email messages as I want for the flat monthly fee I already pay. So, is there a way to set up remote notification so that it sends me an email about server activity instead of a SMS text message?

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:39 am 
Founder
Founder

Actually, Remote Notification only sends email addresses. Many users configure it to send the messages to their SMS relay mail address for quicker notifications. Instead of entering your phone number @ your phone provider, just enter an email address.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:45 am 

yakuza wrote:
Actually, Remote Notification only sends email addresses. Many users configure it to send the messages to their SMS relay mail address for quicker notifications. Instead of entering your phone number @ your phone provider, just enter an email address.

Thanks!! I don't how I missed that. :crazy: Works perfect for me now.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:16 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hey Alex,

Many thanks for a great Add-In...I don't understand why I never 'discovered' it before. :?

I did see the thread and read a little of it but my brain must have been elsewhere as I remember thinking that I already have Remote Alert from Kentdome which I am happy with so why would I want another one? :roll:

Didn't realize that although of similar names they carry out different tasks... :oops:

Anyway installed RN, configured it and it works wonderfully! :D

Have also installed it on a second WHS as an early warning system... :wink:

Now I have read all 10 pages you have left me wondering how far you have got with its 'replacement'?

Consider my appetite whetted... :lol:

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:32 pm 
Founder
Founder

Cool, glad it's worked well for you. I've started on a new version that splits the controls out into seperate tabs and uses the default WHS controls instead of the clunky custom look-alikes I created, but it's not done. I don't really have many plans for feature expansion, but the new layout would make it possible to support additional languages.

To be honest, though, I've got my sights on a couple other ideas for add-ins and likely won't do much with this for a while yet.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
gecko6375
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:34 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Alex--

Great add-in. Running with Comcast as smtp and works on ports 25 and 587. Thanks for the effort!

jam3ohio

EX475 stock, two WD 1.5TB drives added

1 2.0TB Barracuda® XT 7200 rpm drive
2 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda® XT SATA 7200 rpm drives
1 0.5TB stock drive shipped with MSS
Running HP 3.0 updated software

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:07 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thanks for the great add in. Got it set up and works great.

Thanks again for the continued great info.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:19 pm 

I have tried a few times over the past year to get Remote notification to work with any luck. After reading through all of the posts, I was hoping some would be able to set me straight on what I am doing wrong, and yes I am clear that I am doing something wrong. :)

I have quest DSL service and I have jsut confirmed that my outgoing SMTP server is smtp.live.com and I should use port 25 and it does require auth. and I have my user name and password. I am trying to send to a yahoo email address.

I have also tried to used a different smtp and that is the second print screen.

Any hlep would be great.
Attachment:
remote notification help.doc [361.5 KiB]
Downloaded 722 times

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:26 pm 
Founder
Founder

You need to check both the SSL and Auth checkboxes, and change the SMTP port to 587. I think that should get things working.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
chrislcook
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:29 pm 

Thanks. I was able to get this working.

The tool is great, even though it took me over a year to figure out how to use it.

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:45 pm 
Founder
Founder

Glad to hear you got it working, next time maybe ask for help a little earlier. :) :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:25 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I installed it but from reading the description and looking at it I don't understand what it puts in an email or what would cause it to send an email. What exactly do those check boxes under severity and suppressed mean? Which would I use to get it to send an email with a description of what a red health light is trying to tell me? It was not obvious how to configure it with out instructions but I got it to send a test notification.

If anybody reads this far a fair warning: Never click the apply button while on the configuration page for this add in. The console will lock.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:56 pm 
Founder
Founder

Photon wrote:
I installed it but from reading the description and looking at it I don't understand what it puts in an email or what would cause it to send an email. What exactly do those check boxes under severity and suppressed mean? Which would I use to get it to send an email with a description of what a red health light is trying to tell me? It was not obvious how to configure it with out instructions but I got it to send a test notification.

If anybody reads this far a fair warning: Never click the apply button while on the configuration page for this add in. The console will lock.

Please read the Readme in the very first post of this topic (particularly the "What is Remote Notification" and "Known Issues" sections, it covers pretty much all your questions here. Post back if you have further questions.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:29 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I haven't installed this add in before because I assumed it sent emails that do the same thing as the health lights and Icons do to alert me when I'm away from home that there is something on the home Network that needs attention. Handy since you can login remotely, Check Network Health in the console to find out what the problem is and probably fix it without anybody else in the home needing to do anything. This is not something that I would make use of though. I'd rather wait until I get home and deal with it then.

I have known about this add in since you released it. I don't normally install add-ins if I'm not sure what they do unless I think there is a good chance it is something I would use. I appreciate your pointing out to me that this add-in will give me the info I wish for with regard to why the tray Icon turned red the other day when all I needed to do was restart my computer. The Network health info in the console has never been helpful with any connector related problems so I look forward to having more info.

yakuza wrote:
Please read the Readme in the very first post of this topic (particularly the "What is Remote Notification" and "Known Issues" sections, it covers pretty much all your questions here. Post back if you have further questions.

I do have un-answered questions so I'll rephrase. Where I said "from reading the description" I should have written: reading the readme section called "What is remote notification". (I did read ALL of the readme and some pages of the thread). I'm feeling a little like I'm missing something important. Where do these "System Health Notifications" come from? I've not seen this mentioned anywhere before. I'm guessing you're tapping into the same data source the Network Health Icon in the console gets it's info from and pulling more data. While I do understand to some extent what would cause it to send an email there is a little fuzziness there as to how it differs from the light color and Network health info. How does it trigger differently from them to send info they seem to skip over regarding what's going on with the connector software?

I understand from the readme that it sends an email but not what would be in the email. An example message in the readme would be helpful. I had previously thought when I read the readme that this add-ins sent simple fixed messages like "Home Network health critical"

With regard to configuration, after thinking about it I guess under "Notifications" the "Error" check box would represent a red tray Icon color and the "Warning" check box would represent a yellow tray icon. I checked both.

I have it installed now and the test message sends successfully so I'm just waiting for the first notification to see what it says. I hope it will tell me in words WHY my tray Icon is red and what to do about it next time it happens. Something like "New connector software has been installed please restart your computer" would have been perfect for this most recent event.

Please add to your bug list the one I reported where it locks the console if you click the apply button. You do not need to send a test message for it to lock. It will lock if you click the apply button at any time before all the fields it requires are correctly filled out. Doesn't lock once everything is done right. (I hadn't understood that all of those fields were necessary at first. I thought my smtp info and email address was sufficient and the recipient section which gets the same info in separate fields appeared to be for phones and I don't have one. I figured out I could type in that field and just provide the same info from my email address and that worked)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:26 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Maybe I can help a little here....

If you haven't already installed the MS WHS Toolkit Add-In you should (read instructions carefully as it installs FIRST on the client). Using this you can look at the WHS "Event Log". When problems they are logged in the Event Log along with considerable detail about them. Some log entries are purely informational; some are "warnings" and some are "errors". MOST of these are intercepted and immediately handled by WHS or by the applications installed on WHS. Ones that require your attention cause a Health Notification. The Remote Notification Add-In monitors that log for Health Notifications that continue for an unexpected period of time (i.e., that are not resolved) and sends you an e-mail telling you to "check it out". (If you have not noticed, that Health Indicator will occasionally go red for a couple seconds as the system handles an error. You don't want a note every time that happens!) Generally there are not a lot of details in the notes -- but you can get them with the Toolkit. (Alternatively, you can use the Event Monitor Add-In, Or you can go to the remote desktop and navigate to the Event Logs from there.) If you want details that is where they are. The Remote Notification Add-In is just flagging it for you. (My MSS is so stable I never even look at the icon! And if I am away from home I do want to know -- maybe I want to shut down the system if it is overheating!)

So the data source is the same, the difference is that the e-mail is not generated for short duration events.

I would suggest that you are putting too much effort into studying this. Install it and try it (as you evidently are). The value is not in the detail (that's in the Event Log); the value is in the notification. By the way, if you check both warnings and errors you may get a LOT of e-mails...

By the way, some advice Yakuza (Alex) gave me long ago. DO NOT GET HUNG UP OVER WHAT YOU SEE IN THE EVENT LOG! You will see a LOT of errors, warnings and informational notices there. You can ignore virtually all of them UNLESS there is a persistent Health Notification or some other indication of a failure. THEN they are the source of the details.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next