It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:02 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Bummer. Sounds like the info that is emailed by the add-in will not be different or go beyond what is reported under Network Health. I'll give it some time so I get some experience with it before I decide about keeping it installed. I don't have any need to be emailed when I'm not home. I won't see the message.

Thanks for the clear info!

Don

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:50 pm 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for the clarification with the Apply button issue, does it lock completely or just freeze for 20-30 seconds? Did you give it enough time to find out? I'll add this to the fix list for a future version.

I suggested the use of this add-in in the blog because I understood you to say that you were wondering why the Health LED was red on your server. My thought was that perhaps you would appreciate being informed of the Health Notification whether you were sitting at your computer or not, so that when you walked by the server and saw that it had a red Health LED you would already know that it was due to pending updates (in the specific case under discussion on the blog). From the additional discussion here it seems I misunderstood your needs, sorry about that.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:21 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

yakuza wrote:
Thanks for the clarification with the Apply button issue, does it lock completely or just freeze for 20-30 seconds? Did you give it enough time to find out? I'll add this to the fix list for a future version.

I don't know precisely how long I waited though it was most likely longer than 30 seconds. While I could not do anything in the console I was able to close it using the X without resorting to killing the task. When I logged back into the console it was still frozen on the add-in configuration screen with an hourglass. I then remoted to the server and ran the console on the server and was able to complete the configuration.

yakuza wrote:
I suggested the use of this add-in in the blog because I understood you to say that you were wondering why the Health LED was red on your server. My thought was that perhaps you would appreciate being informed of the Health Notification whether you were sitting at your computer or not, so that when you walked by the server and saw that it had a red Health LED you would already know that it was due to pending updates (in the specific case under discussion on the blog). From the additional discussion here it seems I misunderstood your needs, sorry about that.

Probably my fault. I saw a bone jumped high and fell from not fully understanding the add-in. It was a good suggestion. I may like this add-in. If I had this installed prior to this latest connector snafu and had checked email it might have clued me in before I got frustrated by unresponsive and then red tray Icon. Depends on the timing of information. Time will tell.

Nonsensical behavior of the tray Icon was the start of this. I open my laptop, it connected wirelessly and I started my lesson. Happened to noticed the connector icon was not green. Think it was gray. No backups should be running. No info available from hovering over the Icon. Double clicked to login so I could see if there was any info in Network health and the console Icon was not responsive. I verified I had connectivity and went back to finish what I was doing in my lesson. Then the Icon turned red and was still unresponsive to clicking. I rebooted and all was normal. Bingo - every connector update acts stupidly. In the past I've seen three different scenarios. Once had to type a url in the web browser. Last time when I knew there was a connector update it prompted me to do something. I think this was when I tried to login to the console and what it said to do failed with an error and sent me off on a troubleshooting wild goose chase of tests from a linked document all of which it passed. First rule of computing is when things are not as they should be try rebooting. Rebooting fixed it last time. This time was still different in that the connector was unresponsive and then later red. I rebooted as my first action this time around and then the tray Icon worked fine. I logged in to the console and there was no info in network health. My desktop by this time also had a red icon and I already knew there was no info in the console under network health. I just restarted it and all was well. Checked the forum the next day and there is the info right on the front page.

Love Mediasmart.net the finest information source for your MSS and WHS as well.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:26 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Alex,
We have a member who has ask a question about the Remote Notification Add-In.

Posted by IceMeister on Sat, Sep 12 2009 3:52 AM

I have been running Remote Notification since the stone ages and it works great. However, last week I have received some errors which where not sent out via remote notification and I am not sure why? It says the event source is Remote Notifcations, does that mean it crashed as it was trying to send the notifcation out?

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Remote Notification

Event Category: None

Event ID: 0

Date: 9/1/2009

Time: 3:11:42 PM

User: N/A

Computer: HPSERVER

Description:

Got Error: qsm.1deee84a-0c28-4409-b13b-7d3ece110ef0.Object Type:WHS_NOTIFICATION_ADD Head:Storage Status Desc:Volume with name Primary Volume has failed. Please check hard drives and try to run Repair to fix errors for disk ST3750630AS.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:14 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hey Chris,

Mind sharing the link on HSL for this so I don't have to go dig it up? ;)

Those Event Viewer notifications are normal and the way I log when I receive the WHS notifications, I'll probably revamp this in the future since it does cause a little bit of confusion. I suspect the notifications are transient, meaning they occur and are cleared in less than 60 seconds (the window that Remote Notifications waits before sending email to avoid too much mail for bogus or transient errors). He should see a "Remove" event shortly after the "Add" event you posted above.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:07 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

http://www.homeserverland.com/forums/f/5/t/1175.aspx

Oops , Will do.

I have also posted you answer there.
Thank you for the response.

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:47 pm 

All this talk about improvements etc. and yet the add-in hasn't been updated since Sept. 2007? Are there any real plans to update this very useful add-in?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:38 pm 
Founder
Founder

What features are you asking for?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:15 pm 

Love the add-in. However I would like to be able to set a limit on how many messages I get sent during a predefined time period. If things went really bad I would not be interested in getting flooded by text messages.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:25 pm 
Founder
Founder

sandman wrote:
Love the add-in. However I would like to be able to set a limit on how many messages I get sent during a predefined time period. If things went really bad I would not be interested in getting flooded by text messages.

Have you experienced a flood of messages, and if so can you provide more details? With the 60 second window and only sending a message once per health notification, I think it would have to be a pretty catastrophic event to get a true flood of notifications and I've not heard a single complaint of this (to the best of my knowledge).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:06 pm 

yakuza wrote:
sandman wrote:

Have you experienced a flood of messages, and if so can you provide more details? With the 60 second window and only sending a message once per health notification, I think it would have to be a pretty catastrophic event to get a true flood of notifications and I've not heard a single complaint of this (to the best of my knowledge).

I have not. I guess I'm a little nervous about having something automated send me text messages. Since the text messages cost, if something were to go wrong it would get expensive real quick. So I'm really more interested in it as a fail safe mechanism.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:23 pm 
Founder
Founder

You can always set it up to go to a normal email address to avoid the concern of any cost. But in two years of the add-in being in use and many thousands of downloads, I'm never heard of an issue like this. I'm very hesitant to put in a bunch of code for a problem that likely doesn't exist.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:10 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hi Alex,

Just installed the add-in and it works perfectly. I even dedicated a specific e-mail to WHS.
Thanks for this helpfull add-in.

P.S. If you need someone to translate to french, I can help you.

Klode

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:03 am 
Founder
Founder

msdcinfo wrote:
Hi Alex,

Just installed the add-in and it works perfectly. I even dedicated a specific e-mail to WHS.
Thanks for this helpfull add-in.

P.S. If you need someone to translate to french, I can help you.

Klode

Thanks for the comments, and I will definitely be in touch about translation when I'm ready, thanks! :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:22 am 

hey there!

on my German WHS with PP2 I`m not able to use the add-in correctly.

I got the testmessage but never got an error report etc. - the mail di not stuck in a spam folder or something like that.
seems like the addin does not found any entries, but when i look into the eventmanager there were some I should have had an report.

Any suggestions?

Best
Dirk

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next