It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Add-in question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:30 am 

Gave the add-in a try and it works well. However, I have noticed something strange. As I have just recently setup a new WHS server (OEM release) for testing I visit the event log regularly to see how the system is behaving. I have noticed that WHS_REMOTE_NOTIFICATION is adding several items to the application log. The one that has caught my attention is individual errors indicating that hard drives (all 4) are failing. These errors are subsequently removed? Check disk does not report any errors with the drives and no errors are thrown in WHS with respect to network health. The system drive does have a SMART attribute that has exceeded a threshold so I might expect some issue with it but not all drives?

How does the add in pull the information for the notifications and event log additions? Is the information different than what normally shows up in the event log? Based on what I see the add-in is picking up information that is different than typical 'events".

Thanks,
Russ

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:14 am 
Founder
Founder

Hi Russ,

Can you post or email me a screenshot of the event log messages?

Remote Notification only logs to the event log, it does not read anything from there. If it shows up in the event log, that means I received a WHS Health Notification.

One thought, are you removing/hot-swapping the HDDs? When you pull a HDD from the system without removing it through the WHS Server Console, a "Failing" event is generated, which is subsequently removed when the drive is reinserted. Also, are you getting emailed the notifications? If not, they are occurring and then being removed within 60 seconds, which suggests some kind of transient error.

I'd suggest downloading my Notification Generator tool, which will allow you to view all active WHS notifications. You should be able to corroborate the event logs I'm generating with the actual WHS health notifications.

Let me know what you find!
Alex

Thanks  
 Post subject: WHS Health Notifiation
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:01 pm 

Alex,

I will e-mail the screen shots. The text is below. They are all the same the message (except for ID) and time stamp for all 4 drives .

I am not swapping hard drives. All drives are internal. 2 are IDE and 2 are SATA PCI. I do have a SMART error on the system drive but chkdsk and WHS do not throw an error. Only when your add-in is enabled do the error show up in the event log. Even then there is no notification of a network health issues. I would expect the event log to show the errors? If WHS looks at SMART attributes then I have a suspicion that the one SMART error could be causing all the errors.

I have looked at the notification Generation tool. All notifications show health drives. This may change when the errors appear but I have not directly observed it since it happens so quickly (see event log captures). I will continue to look at this. Is there any way to see a log of notifications rather than just the current status? This would help corroborate he events between the event log and the add-in.

If I have time I will probably look into building a utility from the WHS SDK to look at notifications and such. This sounds good in theory but as I am a casual programmer I do not expect this to happen overnight.

Thanks,
Russ

--Error Message :: Remote_Notification--
Got Error: qsm.71dca828-85e6-4694-924f-361a109c27eb.Object Type:WHS_NOTIFICATION_ADD Head:Storage Status Desc:Volume with name Secondary Volume 1 is failing. Please try to run Repair to fix errors for disk Maxtor 7Y250P0.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

--Information Message :: Remote Notification--
Added ID: qsm.71dca828-85e6-4694-924f-361a109c27eb.Object Count: 3

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

--Information Message :: Remote_Notification--
Removed ID: qsm.71dca828-85e6-4694-924f-361a109c27eb.Object Count: 3

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:08 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hi Russ,

I got your email with the screenshots, thanks.

Those are legit Health Notifications from WHS, but as you can see they fire and are immediately removed, this is why you don't get an email sent (doesn't pass the 60 second window defined in my code). The qsm.71dca* is the notification ID generated by WHS, you should be able to find that ID by using my Notification Generator tool.

I only log that info in the Event Log as debug info, mostly for my own benefit testing and debugging in cases like this. I can't speak to the cause of the error, but I can assure that WHS is definitely logging that for some reason. Does it happen about 3 times a day? I recall seeing WHS run disk checks on 8 hour intervals, if I'm remembering correctly. You could also navigate to %QLOGS% and view the log files there to see if you can find the WHS log message pertaining to the error.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any more questions!
Alex

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:39 am 

Alex,

Thanks for the response. I have checked the logs and it appears that there is an error (like the one below as I am not able to access my server at this time):

ERROR: Migrator reported FileError for file [D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\GlobalCluster.4096.dat]

There are other posts in the WHS forum reporting this error but so far there is no defined cause.

At this point I am not overly concerned about the error. I am interested in why WHS throws the error but never reports it as a health issues. At this point I am assuming that it does not qualify as a reportable disk problem.

Thanks for the help.

Russ

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:02 am 
Founder
Founder

Hi Russ,

I'm glad you were able to narrow things down! It's weird that they issue the notification yet remove it immediately. My guess is that the error gets flagged during some kind of system integrity check, the notification is issued, then the integrity check completes and is marked successful, which would clear the notification. It all happens so fast that you likely won't see the health change in the GUI.

Keep us updated and let me know if you find the resolution!

Thanks,
Alex

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:49 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hello Alex,

I've been using your Remote Notification Add-In for a few weeks now and set it up to send mail to my cell phone via GMail (using SMTP port 587).

Recently I found a bounced message from the add-in in my GMail account that had the following error:

Code:
Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 13): 503-5.5.1 'RCPT TO:' must be preceded by MAIL FROM: command if not PIPELINING.
503-5.5.1
503-5.5.1 If you are seeing this message in a bounce, or in an alert box
503-5.5.1 from your mailer client, etc., then your mailer software is
503-5.5.1 may not be compliant with the SMTP protocol (RFC 821 et al).
503 5.5.1 Please report this error to those responsible for your mailer software.

This seems to be a randomly-occurring problem, as the test button from the add-in sends the email correctly. I've only set up the add-in to notify on errors so it doesn't spam my phone. :lol:

Just thought I'd let you know...

BTW, congrats on setting up this dedicated HP WHS forum, I should be getting mine tomorrow (they were unavailable in Canada until now!). For the moment I am getting by with an old machine and the WHS eval, which totally sold me on how useful this thing was :D

Cheers,
Ben.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:22 am 
Founder
Founder

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the feedback on Remote Notification!

The add-in uses the built-in .Net SMTP client class, so I'm not doing anything custom or funky with the mailing.

I presume the bounce headers you showed are coming from your cell phone provider's mail servers? If you're willing to forward me one of the failed messages, I'd like to take a closer look ( webmaster AT mediasmartserver DOT net).

I've got my system configured to send me mails to my Sprint phone via Gmail, and have not seen this problem, though I don't get many notifications sent.

Thanks,
Alex

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:50 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Has anyone compares the Remote Notification to Dave Mercer's WHS Event Monitor?

http://mswhs.com/2007/11/05/add-in-wind ... or-update/
http://www.davemercer.org/projects/WHSE ... fault.aspx

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:43 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Alex, the "bounced messages from GMail" problem now occurs 100% of the time.

My old custom-made WHS is missing its extra hard drives (they've since been migrated to a real HP MSS), so the old WHS system is generating duplication errors every 30 minutes. I haven't wiped the system yet (and don't need to do so for a while), so it's in perfect state for testing if you're interested...

Every single one of those messages failed to be delivered, I have more than 50 identical bounced messages from the add-in in my GMail account before I noticed the old server was still sending notifications. Test notifications work fine, the problem seems to be limited to error notifications from the WHS.

I installed the add-in on my new HP MSS, but this time I am using my ISP's SMTP server instead of GMail. We'll see how this goes, I'll have to wait for a real error to see if the behavior changed as test notifications still work fine...

Cheers,
Ben.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:36 am 
Founder
Founder

JohnBick wrote:

I took a look at this a while ago, last time I looked he wasn't monitoring health notifications, only the event viewer which I personally find less useful for the majority of users. It is always cool to see people developing functionality for WHS, though!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:40 am 
Founder
Founder

Hi Ben,

I'm not going to be able to spend much time on this right now, since I'm at CES. If you want to forward me a recent failed email that'd be great, you should have my email.

I'm fairly stumped as to what could be causing this...

Alex

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:00 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

yakuza wrote:
JohnBick wrote:

I took a look at this a while ago, last time I looked he wasn't monitoring health notifications, only the event viewer which I personally find less useful for the majority of users. It is always cool to see people developing functionality for WHS, though!

So, in the "net", Remote Notification does all the events that Dave's Event Monitor does -- and more? If that's the case I'll give it a try!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Add-in question
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:13 pm 

jrhitch wrote:
Gave the add-in a try and it works well. However, I have noticed something strange. As I have just recently setup a new WHS server (OEM release) for testing I visit the event log regularly to see how the system is behaving. I have noticed that WHS_REMOTE_NOTIFICATION is adding several items to the application log. The one that has caught my attention is individual errors indicating that hard drives (all 4) are failing. These errors are subsequently removed? Check disk does not report any errors with the drives and no errors are thrown in WHS with respect to network health. The system drive does have a SMART attribute that has exceeded a threshold so I might expect some issue with it but not all drives?

Thanks,
Russ

I am actually seeing the same thing on my machine. It gave me a heart attack the first time I saw it. I keep obsessively checking the drive health in the GUI and it looks good, so I am willing to buy your logic for now. :)

Personally, I would recommend that you set a flag somewhere so that this kind of stuff (which you other post seemed to imply was debugging info) doesn't get logged in the event viewer. The reason I say that is b/c if it shows up in the event viewer, but I didn't get a text message about it, then I wonder about your tool. As I said before, I buy your logic, but you don't want that question to recycle itself over and over in the forums, etc.

Evan

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:00 pm 
Founder
Founder

Fair enough, I'll consider that when I get the time to actually get an updated version of the add-in out. I've got a whole laundry list including two translations and just haven't had time. :(

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next