It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: BDBB help
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:46 am 

My WHS 2003 was giving me problems with restore. I would try to restore a backup and it would get 80% done and an error would pop up saying database error. I backed up using BDBB successfully. I'm in the process of doing a restore. My question is can I disconnect the external backup drive and view the files on my desktop. I took out the WHS drive and viewed on my desktop but all the files were data files which was no help.

Thanks for any help.

Mare
P.S. The reason I'm doing a restore is my laptop took a dump and when I went to my WHS to restore the laptop I couldn't restore.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: BDBB help
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:16 pm 
Founder
Founder

No, it's not possible to view the files in the WHS backup database, they are stored in a proprietary format. WHS is the only way to view the files. If you can't open a backup, then your database is likely corrupt.

If you've not tried the single file restore and have only tried the bare metal restore, you might try that.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:34 pm 

I was able to restore my WHS on a new system and then restore my BDBB restored files. The problem now is when I click on restore it gets to 81% and stops and tells me it can not mount the backup and stops. Everytime at 81%. What is the work around?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:56 pm 
Founder
Founder

Using the search feature of this site on the term "81" turns up numerous discussions:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/google-search/?q=81

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:41 pm 

I see those Alex.I've been reading those all morning but no fix yet. I'll keep trying. I really need some info off of that laptop. Thought it was safe and backed up but Microsoft proofed me wrong. Let me know if you come with any ideas.

Marion

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:22 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Not that it's any help now, but, I do not trust the backups and I do not trust them because when I tried one years ago I got Bluescreen when I booted up.
Now I don't want to get into trouble for saying the backups don't work because they do most of the time. A lot of people have been able to use the backups and they have worked just fine.

Because of my experience my girls have been told "not" to keep any data on their pc's, it all goes to the server where duplication and non-pooled backups can protect it. If they need to work on something, they work on it from the server or they work on a copy that they can transfer to the server when they get home.
I do keep the backups turned on, just in case, but I make yearly clones/images of my clients, just in case.

But, for right now in your spot, if your not able to restore that laptop:
You can open the laptop backups and get to the data with another pc that is connected to the server.
You can't do it while RDP to the server, I tried that and it won't let ya but any other pc it should.

Now I know you really want to restore your laptop, but at least this will hopefully let you get to the data that was on the laptop.
It would have been nice if Microsoft made the database accessible some way, but they didn't...
Hopefully someone can get ya help for the restore, maybe over in trouble shooting...
Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:15 am 

I was able to log into the server and retrieve my laptop files. What I did to get past the 81% stop is did a manual update. I have auto update on but the manual update took some time. After the update I was able to open a restore and get the files I need to. This is were another person posted and helped me. http://blogs.technet.com/b/homeserver/a ... erver.aspx

Hope this helps someone else.

Marion

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank mare for this post
yakuza