It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:29 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

And I have not seen it since I last reported it. (But I have also not tried to reproduce it again either!)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:07 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

yakuza wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that. I have not left my server off for many days, but these are registry settings and should not change with an extended outage. Did you observe any messages in the Event Viewer about those settings changing?

Without a solid repro I'm at a total loss as to what is causing this behavior that seems to mainly be seen only by you and JohnBick. :(

Where in the event viewer should I look for relevant messages. There are "Perflib" warnings shortly after startup each time in the Application events. They both state "The configuration information of the performance library "C:\WINDOWS\system32\infoctrs.dll" for the "InetInfo" service does not match the trusted performance library information stored in the registry. The functions in this library will not be treated as trusted." I don't know if this file has anything to do with Fan Control.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:48 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

it is really rather odd-

what else would change these registry values?

is there any kind of anti virus protection that detects registry edits and tries to undue them?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:58 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

michaelk wrote:
it is really rather odd-

what else would change these registry values?

is there any kind of anti virus protection that detects registry edits and tries to undue them?

I don't have antivirus software running on the MSS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:09 pm 
Founder
Founder

Any entries from my Add-Ins will list themselves by the Add-In name. Look for Fan Control or WNAS (the MSS driver that uses the registry entries modified by Fan Control) entries in the Application event viewer logs.

michaelk, I know of nothing that should touch those registry entries, except for possibly the MSS code if the .ini file is changed, and the WNAS driver.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:51 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

yakuza wrote:
Any entries from my Add-Ins will list themselves by the Add-In name. Look for Fan Control or WNAS (the MSS driver that uses the registry entries modified by Fan Control) entries in the Application event viewer logs.

michaelk, I know of nothing that should touch those registry entries, except for possibly the MSS code if the .ini file is changed, and the WNAS driver.

Ok. WNAS related entries under System for today (9/24/2008):

12:00:20 a.m. Windows Home Server Hotfix KB950193 was installed.

12:07:44 Event logging enabled for WNAS Driver.
12:07:44 WNAS Driver has successfully initialized.
12:07:44 WNAS Device has been started.

6:58:47 a.m. PlugPlayManager - The Plug and Play operation cannot be completed because a device driver is preventing the device from stopping. The name of the device driver is listed as the vetoing service name below.

Vetoed device: ROOT\SYSTEM\0003
Vetoing device: Root\SYSTEM\0003
Vetoing service name: Driver\WNAS
Veto type 6: PNP_VetoDevice

When Windows attempts to install, upgrade, remove, or reconfigure a device, it queries the driver responsible for that device to confirm that the operation can be performed. If any of these drivers denies permission (query-removal veto), then the computer must be restarted in order to complete the operation.

User Action
Restart your computer.

1:01:33 p.m. WNAS Device has been stopped.
1:01:34 p.m. Event logging enabled for WNAS Driver.
1:01:34 p.m. WNAS Driver has successfully initialized.
1:01:34 p.m. WNAS Device has been started.

WNAS related entries under System for 9/19/2008 after power came back on and I restarted the MSS:

7:17:28 p.m. Event logging enabled for WNAS Driver.
7:17:28 p.m. WNAS Driver has successfully initialized.
7:17:28 p.m. WNAS Device has been started.

11:24:21 p.m. WNAS Device has been stopped.
11:24:22 p.m. Event logging enabled for WNAS Driver.
11:24:22 p.m. WNAS Driver has successfully initialized.
11:24:22 p.m. WNAS Device has been started.

11:24:48 p.m. WNAS Device has been stopped.
11:24:49 p.m. Event logging enabled for WNAS Driver.
11:24:49 p.m. WNAS Driver has successfully initialized.
11:24:49 p.m. WNAS Device has been started.

Nothing else related to fan control.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:50 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hmm, I wonder if you've got a piece of hardware connected that is causing some conflict with the plug-n-play of the system. It appears that Windows is re-loading the WNAS device driver, which would indeed cause a reset of all the registry entries (can you see the defaults in the WNAS.inf file). Because Fan Control only sets the entries when the control panel is accessed and is not a long-lived service that watches to make sure they stay the same, Fan Control gets reset when the driver is reloaded.

Good find on the logs, thanks for sharing!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:19 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

yakuza wrote:
Hmm, I wonder if you've got a piece of hardware connected that is causing some conflict with the plug-n-play of the system. It appears that Windows is re-loading the WNAS device driver, which would indeed cause a reset of all the registry entries (can you see the defaults in the WNAS.inf file). Because Fan Control only sets the entries when the control panel is accessed and is not a long-lived service that watches to make sure they stay the same, Fan Control gets reset when the driver is reloaded.

Good find on the logs, thanks for sharing!

Where is the WNAS.ini file?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:21 pm 
Founder
Founder

The .inf file I believe is copied to the system directory, I'm not sure of the exact location, sorry.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:30 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I just RDP'd into my MSS to try to find the WNAS.ini file, but couldn't find it because the search function is not active. I shut down the RDP session and checked the event logs and noticed that the same WNAS logs were back (but occurred before my RDP session):

6:04:46 p.m. WNAS WNAS Device has been stopped.
6:04:47 p.m. Event logging enabled for WNAS Driver.
6:04:47 p.m. WNAS Driver has successfully initialized.
6:04:47 p.m. WNAS Device has been started.

I then checked Fan Control to find that the Fan Speed Adjustment had reset itself to 0 rpm. As far as devices attached; the only thing I have attached is a 1 tb seagate drive housed in an Antec active cooled external drive enclosure attached via USB. I was having the fan control problem before I attached the external USB drive, so I don't think that's the problem.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:38 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

cavediver wrote:
12:07:44 Event logging enabled for WNAS Driver.
12:07:44 WNAS Driver has successfully initialized.
12:07:44 WNAS Device has been started.

6:58:47 a.m. PlugPlayManager - The Plug and Play operation cannot be completed because a device driver is preventing the device from stopping. The name of the device driver is listed as the vetoing service name below.

Vetoed device: ROOT\SYSTEM\0003
Vetoing device: Root\SYSTEM\0003
Vetoing service name: Driver\WNAS
Veto type 6: PNP_VetoDevice

When Windows attempts to install, upgrade, remove, or reconfigure a device, it queries the driver responsible for that device to confirm that the operation can be performed. If any of these drivers denies permission (query-removal veto), then the computer must be restarted in order to complete the operation.

User Action
Restart your computer.

1:01:33 p.m. WNAS Device has been stopped.
1:01:34 p.m. Event logging enabled for WNAS Driver.
1:01:34 p.m. WNAS Driver has successfully initialized.
1:01:34 p.m. WNAS Device has been started.

I see all these entries (informational) in my System Event Log as well, as recently as yesterday, but my fan settings have not been reset since back in August. I would be inclined to think it is something else...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:22 pm 
Founder
Founder

I don't have a single instance of those errors, and my logs go back at least 6 months. Reloading of the WNAS driver is the only thing I can think of that would cause this behavior...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:47 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

First, they are not "errors", they are "informational". I have them as far back as my logs -- 5/28. (I cleared the logs on that date; I suspect they were around well before that.) And there is no indication as to their cause.

I have not done a detailed examination of the System Evenbt Log, but I have observed that:

1. These three WNAS messages occur in the same order each time WHS starts: Start, Initialize, Log enable.
    2. They occur immediately after the EventLog is enabled which is, in turn, immediately after the USER32 message about restarting the server, occasionally before and occasionally after the IPSEC message at startup.
    3. I also have sone WNAS ERROR messages indicating high temperatures (127C) and a Warning/informational pair that they returned to normal six seconds later. (Amazing -- I never noticed that behavior before in spite of all the temperature monitoring we were doing back in June!) At a other times I see many warnings about low fan speed -- probably when I was playing with SpeedFan. There are numerous cases of WNAS fan and temperature errors, warnings and informational messages about fan speeds being low and temperatures climbing. Still in the timeframe I was playing with SpeedFan.
    4. Starting 7/3 I begin to find numerous times -- sometimes only minutes apart -- where WNAS was started, initialized, stopped repeatedly that were NOT associated with a WHS restart or any other preceding System event, sometimes for hours. 7/3 was a particularly bad day for that -- I have no idea what I was doing between 11AM and 10 PM that day!
    5. On 8/12 I find the WNAS start-initialization-loging sequence immediately a couple minutes after a series of NTServicePack and Windows Update Agent messages (all informational).

Nothing in any of these stands out to me as different from the others by the messages and I see nothing else in the System log that seems relevant. I see no FanControl messages in ANY of the event logs.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:24 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Back in the days before the Fan Control add-in when I was using Speedfan, I was having a similar stability problem with Speedfan. I would set Speedfan to 80% or so and it was constantly resetting itself to 50%. I then did YMBOC's registry edit and the fan speeds and temps stabilized. Then Fan Control came out with even more control and options, but my MSS for some reason seems to want to revert to default fan speeds again. For some reason, the registry edits of Fan Control aren't permanent with my MSS. Upon further investigation, it seems that all of my fan control reverts to default are associated with restarts of the MSS, either when installing add-ins or automatic updates from MS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:28 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

The SpeedFan problem I understand since an increase (or decrease) in the temperature to a new threshold level will result in the MSS changing the fan speed. That, of course, overrides SpeedFan.

But the mystery remains as to why some folks are seeing the FanControl settings change and others are not. Mine FanControl settings do NOT get reset at each startup. Only under the specific circumstances I noted back in mid-August.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next