It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:02 pm 

There maybe a BIOS Setting in the EX490 to turn the fans on full speed at all times but you need a DEBUG Board to set that. I know there is a setting in the EX48x to do this and I have one setup this way. I will be installing a DEBUG Board on an EX490 sometime this week and I will take a peek in the BIOS to see if it has a setting like the EX49x and will let you know. If for some reason you do not hear from me on this in the next few days please contact me to see if I have gotten to that or not.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:04 pm 

Thanks for the confirmation on this Ruben Rocha.

I still need to install a DEBUG Board on the EX490.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:17 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

zazzn wrote:
Is there anything at all for the ex495? My HD fans are keeping my HD's in the high 90's which I don't like.

Hmm - I thought the 490 and 495 both worked the same with this extension. If push comes to shove and you don't want to mess with a VGA cable, you can just pop the top and bend the middle pin from the fan connector like I did with my DataVault. There are two independent fans in he 49x's so you could try upping the speed on just one (say the lower one) first.

DO NOT run your drives hot! You are cooking them right now and they will fail! All four drives in my data vault died within a month of my post earlier in his thread right above your post :( I strongly recommend you shutdown and bend the pin on at least one fan NOW - even if you don't wan that as a long term solution.

I also highly recommend installing the SMART diagnostics add in if you haven't already - hopefully the temperature is the only thing in the red :(

Last edited by EricE on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:18 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

For sure.
There are several settings in the bios for fans.
As I stated it is a pid loop so you have a rise and slope plus a bias setting. They are all set to default and not editable till you find the setting that enables them to be changed.
It has been like three years since I did it so I can't recall for sure what I changed.
But I know I could have ramped them up more but the db level got out of hand.
So I opted to just change it so the default rpm was at a slightly higher rpm And the rise was slightly smaller So the RPM's would increase faster..

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:26 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

EricE wrote:
zazzn wrote:
Is there anything at all for the ex495? My HD fans are keeping my HD's in the high 90's which I don't like.

Hmm - I thought the 490 and 495 both worked the same with this extension. If push comes to shove and you don't want to mess with a VGA cable, you can just pop the top and bend the middle pin on the fan connector like I did with my DataVault. There are two independent fans in he 49x's so you could try upping the speed on just one (say the lower one) first.

DO NOT run your drives hot! You are cooking the right now and they will fail. All four drives in my data vault died within a month of my post earlier in his thread right above you post. I strongly recommend you shutdown and bend the pin on at least one fan NOW - even if you don't wan that as a long term solution.

I also highly recommend installing the SMART diagnostics add in if you haven't already - hopefully the temperature is the only thing in the red :(

I am not so sure about bending pins that could be damaged beyond repair.
I can only assume the middle pin is the feedback pin so it would just ramp up to full speed.
But there is no middle pin on a ex490 because it is a 4 wire fan as I remember.

A lot can be said about over heating issues.
1. ambient temperature Probably the biggest issue.
2. poor airflow due to bad or dirty fans
3. defective drive where the drive motor bearings are going bad.
4. Software is causing the drives to access the platter to much.
5. User comfort on Temp.
And again what is the 90 degrees C or F.

90F is nothing.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:28 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Ruben Rocha wrote:
I am not so sure about bending pins that could be damaged beyond repair.

I am, they are quite sturdy. I bent it down and back a few times when I was trying to find a software solution for my DataVault - and eventually I just gave up and left the pin bent and the fans on high after I started to get drives crapping out on me :(

Mind you I wouldn't do it over and over, but it should be able to take 4-5 bends with no issue as long as you aren't overly rough/aggressive.

And let's face it, if the pin snaps off, the fans stay on high speed. That is better than melting your hard drives - which they are doing right now if you have four drives in there and the fan speed is on the default low.

Quote:
I can only assume the middle pin is the feedback pin so it would just ramp up to full speed.

Yup - that's what it does.

Quote:
But there is no middle pin on a ex490 because it is a 4 wire fan as I remember.

Even though there are four pins, there are only three wires - whichever wire is for the sensor, just bend that pin - if at least temporarily.

Quote:
90F is nothing.

If you have four drives in there and the fans are on low, they are much hotter than 90F. I can guarantee it. I have a pile of dead drives proving it - don't let the sacrifice of my drives be in vain. Luckily the extension worked great on my 490. The DataVault was the problem child :p

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:53 pm 

Better to just identify the pin that was recommended to be bent and just cut the wire to the fan to eliminate the need to bend the pin. One can always reconnect the wire or you could purchase a fan header cable extension cable and break the connection on that cable which will eliminate modifying the existing hardware should you want to sell it down the road without modification.

I have never looked at how PWM Fans are wired nor have I ever had to modify the fans to keep my drives cool in an MSS and the only units I have actually sped up the fan speeds on is the EX47x and EX48x. I will also tell you the ambient air temperature and air flow through the MSS is extremely important.

Personally I do not like anything to run warm to hot and if I have to put up with fan noise so be it but if the noise presents and issue then the MSS can easily be relocated to a room or are where you do not need to listen to the fans. Some like to see the LEDs to verify the server is running but after a while I know most do not look at those LEDS or even notice the server is there unless they are looking directly at it.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
yakuza
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12