It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:11 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Several days after installing PP1 and 1.3 I noticed that my MSS was running hotter than usual, so I checked my MSS Fan Control settings to find that they had changed on their own, probably during the updates. I'm using the Advanced Controls and had the fan speed set to +200. After insalling PP1 and 1.3, the Fan Speed Adjustment had reverted back to the default setting of 0. The Threshold Temp Adjustments did not change after the updates. They both stayed at -30. I reset the Fan Speed Adjustment to +200 and after 12 hours or so my system cooled back down to the normal temps I had been seeing since I installed and configured MSS Fan Control.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:36 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

That's strange, my settings stayed the same.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:17 pm 
Founder
Founder

The 1.3 update performs a complete uninstall and reinstall of the MSS software, including reloading the hardware enclosure driver that controls the fans and LEDs. Most likely the registry settings got reset to defaults when this happened, I'm not surprised.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:49 pm 

Very nice work. Installed in seconds easy to monitor and user friendly. Thank you!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:34 pm 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for the feedback! 8)

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:30 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

For some reason my Fan Control "Fan Speed Adjustment" keeps resetting itself from +200 rpm to 0 rpm. It's happened twice in the last week including tonight. The only thing I did to the server tonight was to copy 1.5 GB of music from my ripping drive to MSS music share. Immediately after copying the files to the server it bogged down and the console on my main pc froze up. I shut it down and tried to restart the console, but after what seemed like about 5 minutes, it came up solid black. I left it sit for a few minutes to see if it would recover, but it didn't, so I shut it down and waited several more minutes and tried again to restart it. The second time the console started and I checked task manager which indicated that demigrator.exe was working hard balancing the new files. My first thought when the MSS bogged down was that PV Connect was causing the problem. I left it alone for a couple of hours to find the server cpu and drives hot. A quick check of Fan Control indicated that the Fan speed adjustment had reverted to 0. Any thoughts what might be causing the fan controls to revert to 0?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:15 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Interesting.... Late last week I saw two other reports of similar behavior but both seemed to involve people who had done the HP update to version 1.3. I checked ny settings at the time, found they were OK and forgot about it.

My MSS sat --literally-- untouched from then until a moment ago when I read your post and took a look at my own settings. My increment has also been reset.

And when I say that the MSS was untouched during that period, I mean it very literally. It has been sitting there like a good little server, accepting SyncToy updates and backing up nightly. No streaming, no remote access, etc. The only other possible activity may have been some WHIIST assess to one picture folder.

(Server and both clients are current and up-to-date. Last restart was circa 6PM ET on 8/14 --verified by the Event Logs-- and the last time I even touched the console was the evening of 8/15 when all was fine.)

I don't know what is going on, but something is...!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:28 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I downloaded and installed the latest Disk Management addin version: 1.0.9.8 tonight which requires a couple of restarts of the console (one after uninstalling the old addin version and one after installing the new version). After installing the addin and restarting the console I noticed that MSS Fan Control had reset the Fan Speed Adjustment back to 0 rpm again. There seems to be some sort of problem with the stability of the Fan Speed Adjustment after installing addins.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:47 pm 
Founder
Founder

I've also recently installed the DiskManagement add-in, as well as copied several hundreds of GB of files to the server, and experienced no issues. Without a way to reproduce here I'm a bit stumped. Have you seen no errors or log events?

The only thought I have, is that WHS keeps a backup of the registry, perhaps in situations where the system is hung/slow to respond/etc it restores an old registry backup? :?:

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:01 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

yakuza wrote:
I've also recently installed the DiskManagement add-in, as well as copied several hundreds of GB of files to the server, and experienced no issues. Without a way to reproduce here I'm a bit stumped. Have you seen no errors or log events?

The only thought I have, is that WHS keeps a backup of the registry, perhaps in situations where the system is hung/slow to respond/etc it restores an old registry backup? :?:

Below is a warning notice that appears in the application log immediately after the installation of the new disk management addin. The source is "perflib"

"The configuration information of the performance library "C:\WINDOWS\system32\infoctrs.dll" for the "InetInfo" service does not match the trusted performance library information stored in the registry. The functions in this library will not be treated as trusted."

This is the only thing I see that is not a normal information log.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:39 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

cavediver wrote:
I downloaded and installed the latest Disk Management addin version: 1.0.9.8 tonight which requires a couple of restarts of the console (one after uninstalling the old addin version and one after installing the new version). After installing the addin and restarting the console I noticed that MSS Fan Control had reset the Fan Speed Adjustment back to 0 rpm again. There seems to be some sort of problem with the stability of the Fan Speed Adjustment after installing addins.

Well, I have been able to repeat this -- TWICE.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:40 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well, I installed Disk Management yesterday and it did not reset fan control. It is still running at the same level it was before.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:13 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

erail wrote:
Well, I installed Disk Management yesterday and it did not reset fan control. It is still running at the same level it was before.

Are you guys using Fan Control in Advanced mode?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:21 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Yes, I have enabled the Advanced Controls.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:44 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

At this time just using fans at 70%. No advanced control.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next