It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:11 am 

I thought I read in the forum posts that after a restore has completed using bdbb it should prompt me to restore the client configuration, but I did not have this happen. The scenario is as follows:

Server crashed
re-built server with new disk configuration
restored WHS DB using BDBB

The server is running fine now and I can see the backups, but none of my clients are connecting to the DB. I assumed I would not need to do any changes on the client side, but not sure where to go from here. I did try restoring from the client BDBB_clientregistry.xml file when I was not prompted to restore the client settings, but that did not let the clients connect either. I noticed after restoring from the xml file that the GUID for the server changed and did not match what was in the client registry entries, so I tried updating the GUID on the server to match the old value found on the clients and in the whs.reg file. This did not work either, so after trying a few other things I decided maybe I missed the restore option for the clients (my server rebooted after the restore) so I tried doing another clean install and this time it did not reboot but I did not get the option to restore the client entries. I have stopped at this point to see what I should do next. Thanks.

BTW, this is a GREAT plugin and I really appreciate having my data safe and sound and accessible. Thanks again.

- John

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:32 am 

Hi jmihalko welcome to the forums! :mss:

I am somewhat confused as to how you recovered your server. I see you mention GUID did you happen to clone the System Drive to recover the server and if so did you follow the instructions in the guide in the link below?

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/01 ... tem-drive/

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:01 am 

Comp1962,

Sorry, let me give a little more info. I had been having some issues with my server and it finally crashed on me. I put in new drives and did a clean install of WHS. Once the install was completed I applied all Windows patches, then installed WHS BDBB and proceeded to restore the DB from my latest backup created from BDBB. Once the DB restore was done I could see the backups, but none of my clients were connecting to the server. I could logon to the server thru the console on the clients, but they were not being sync'd up to the backups that I had just restored. After doing some more reading on the forums I found that the client registry data was stored along with the backup, so I restored the client registry entries from teh BDBB_clientregistry.xml file, rebooted the server and clients and the server was still not recognizing the clients. I then noticed the GUID for the server was different from what the clients had so I updated the GUID on the server (Windows Home Server\Transport\GUID in the registry) and still not luck. I then tried a few more things in vain and then realized I should just start over, so I did another clean install of WHS on the box, applied all windows patches, installed BDBB and then restored the DB from a backup and I am currently at that point now. So, I can see the backups in the WHS console but it still does not match the clients up with their backups that I just restored. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

- John

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:27 am 

That's too much work on your part. After the recovery and obtaining all the updates from HP and Microsoft, then recover the BDBB client backups. The next thing is to reinstall the client software on all the clients. If I missed that part I apologize but the client software needs to be reinstalled.

Of course after all that you would need to setup all the user accounts, reinstall all your ADD-INs and setup remote access again to get your server back to where it was.

The reason why I mention too much work on your part is because I have been through recoveries in the past and have used BDBB to restore client data and not once did I ever have to mess with the registry.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
jmihalko
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:48 am 

That was it! Once I re-installed the client software, bam, it was there. Thanks again for the help and the great dd-in!

- John

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:01 am 

Glad to hear you resolved your issue and please keep in mind this site is packed full of information that is there to help you. The Site Search is your best friend on the site.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks