It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:31 pm 

I just rebuilt my WHS v1 server. I had backup database duplication turned on, but not through BDBB. Having rebuilt the server I'd like to restore the client backup database. I know where it's found in the hidden DE folder.

I installed BDBB but it doesn't let me just browse around to a find something. Apparently it requires a certain file format? I backed up the database with BDBB as a test and the structure looks just like that of the duplicated backup. Can I just move the duplicated database into the directory created by BDBB?

In addition to the client database there's a WHS reg file. What do I do with that? Copy it over the one created by BDBB, or leave that alone and just copy the backup database?

If relevant, the server that was the source of the previous backups is the same as what I rebuilt. The drive arrangement differs a bit but the hardware is the same. I assume the user list and computer list should be the same as the one being restored?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:58 am 
Founder
Founder

The BDBB Wiki has the answers to many of your questions. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/WHS_BDBB

chriscowles wrote:
I just rebuilt my WHS v1 server. I had backup database duplication turned on, but not through BDBB. Having rebuilt the server I'd like to restore the client backup database. I know where it's found in the hidden DE folder.

If you restored your server with duplication enabled then why do you need BDBB?

Quote:
I installed BDBB but it doesn't let me just browse around to a find something. Apparently it requires a certain file format? I backed up the database with BDBB as a test and the structure looks just like that of the duplicated backup. Can I just move the duplicated database into the directory created by BDBB?

Yes, you can just move the database into the directory, but again, why do this if you?

Quote:
In addition to the client database there's a WHS reg file. What do I do with that? Copy it over the one created by BDBB, or leave that alone and just copy the backup database?

Are you referring to the one created by BDBB? That is no longer necessary for recovery as your client PC data is automatically recovered from the backup DB by WHS.

Quote:
If relevant, the server that was the source of the previous backups is the same as what I rebuilt. The drive arrangement differs a bit but the hardware is the same. I assume the user list and computer list should be the same as the one being restored?

Ah, it sounds like you built a new server and want to move your backups, that is a different scenario. Since you're comfortable with the arrangement of the backup DB I'd suggest you just follow the manual backup and recovery steps as documented by Microsoft, it's linked in the Wiki article above.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:24 pm 

OK. The reference to the MS white paper was what I needed. The files are moving now. Thanks.

Thanks