After many months in beta, I have finally released version 2 of Home Server SMART! HSS v184.108.40.206 includes a number of features many folks have been asking for, including automatic, continuous disk monitoring and support for USB disks. While these features were available in the public beta, many folks don’t participate in a beta and so for many these features will be brand new.UPDATE 9/6/2011: You must have the Microsoft C++ 2008 Runtime installed!
This never showed up during beta testing, but may have accounted for some users never getting SMART results back from controllers or USB disks. If you participated in the beta test, and didn't get SMART data back from many disks, this may have been the cause. Please download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP-1 Runtime from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... px?id=5582
(This must be installed via a Remote Desktop connection.)For WHS 2011 users
, there is good news! I got another server this week, an EX487, and have WHS 2011 installed. Now that v2 of HSS is out for WHS v1, I can start working on HSS for WHS 2011. Please check http://www.dojonorth...rSMART2011.aspx
for more details.
Skip the Details - Direct Download for HSS v2: http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/Freebi ... 0.8.25.zip
Here are some of the new features, changes and enhancements:
- Completely automatic, continuous disk monitoring (runs as a Windows service) - raises alerts in WHS as necessary.
- Support for USB disks - not every enclosure will work, but I've had great success, as have many beta testers.
- Visual indicators added to UI in disk selector -- provides an "at a glance" view of disk health - no need to click through each disk to search for problems.
- Added ability to ignore certain problems to stop Home Server SMART from generating alerts. You won't be alerted again unless it gets worse.
- Check for updates.
- Double-click on each SMART attribute on any disk for a detailed explanation.
- Eliminated pesky null reference exceptions and WMI "not supported" errors in the UI.
- Fixed console crashes some users were reporting during manual disk refresh.
- Fixed a problem where some SiI controller users weren't getting SMART data.
The Home Server SMART help file contains the complete list of all features, changes, bug fixes and known issues.
Home Server SMART Homepage: http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/Freebi ... SMART.aspx
Direct Download for HSS v2 Help: http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/Freebi ... ART_v2.chm
For WHS 2011 users, there is good news! I got another server this week, an EX487, and have WHS 2011 installed. Now that v2 of HSS is out for WHS v1, I can start working on HSS for WHS 2011. Please check http://www.dojonorth...rSMART2011.aspx
for more details.
Home Server SMART is, and always will be, 100% free for you to download and use. There are no ads, no spyware, no annoying pop-ups and no prompts asking for you to register. The software will be fully operational and full featured all the time. Home Server SMART does, however, represent the result of hundreds of hours of work…researching SMART, buying new hardware, coding the application, debugging, fixing bugs, following up with beta testers, more testing, etc. If you like this add-in and find it useful, and would like to show a small token of appreciation, please make a donation at the link below. This is not required, but is certainly appreciated.https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... d=11344152