It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Questions about McAfee
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:32 am 

I have had an EX495 for about 4 months now.
At first I didn't install the McAfee add-in, but after a couple months of network alerts I went ahead and installed the McAfee add-in.
In the weekly summary reports I now get from McAfee, it says while I have licenses for Virus & Spyware protection and Firewall protection they are not in use.
When I log in to the Home Server console under the McAfee tab, everything looks like it is running fine.
Just trying to figure out what is going on, not very impressed with McAfee so far.

Thanks,

Choir

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:03 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Welcome to the MediaSmartServer.net community Choir!

I got an EX490 for Christmas (2009) and bought a McAfee subscription shortly after the trial. Then late last year, I was getting warnings that the service was being switched to McAfee Security as a Service and that they were also ending their WHS support in 2012. I had purchased a subscription that took me into April 2012.

But then they tried to push down the McAfee SaaS update to me and that completely broke McAfee on my WHS. I tried manually downloading and reinstalling, uninstalling and reinstalling, etc.

To no avail. I said to heck with it, uninstalled McAfee completely and installed avast! instead. Folks in this community seem to favor avast! much more than McAfee. I have a couple of weeks left in my trial period before I have to buy it. avast! seems to be a lot less obtrusive and just does its job quietly and efficiently.

That all said, I sure hope you didn't waste your money on McAfee.

Matt

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 pm 

Didn't spend any money, doing the 90-day free trial.

I just can't figure out why the SaS email says I haven't activated my license, but I can't find any way to activate my license on the MSS and the MSS also says everything is fine and I am protected.

Since I have Kaspersky on every computer in my home, I am wondering if I even need to worry about extra protection on the MSS. I don't access the internet on the MSS, and I have remote access turned off.
And for the firewall, does WHS include the windows firewall like other versions of windows (xp, vista, 7)?

Thanks,

Choir

Thanks