It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:30 am 

I sure the answer is somewhere in this Forum, but I've searched without luck. I used BDBB backup to backup my WHSv1 on an external HD. I then installed WHSv1 on a new machine. I then went to RESTORE my backups- BDBB RESTORE ran completly with any error messages. But there are NO backup files showing? PC Backups in the Pie Chart shows 441GB.

First time I have used this product- so I am not sure what I am supposed to be seeing- I assumed that after I restored the backups that I would see backups.

Any ideas?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:38 pm 
Founder
Founder

Have you fully updated the new system to the latest WHS Power Packs and all other updates? Before PP2 WHS wouldn't discover the clients in the backup automatically, after PP2 they should be recognized.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:59 pm 

yakuza wrote:
Have you fully updated the new system to the latest WHS Power Packs and all other updates? Before PP2 WHS wouldn't discover the clients in the backup automatically, after PP2 they should be recognized.

Thanks for your prompt reply- YES, new machine has all updates including PP2

EDIT: One other question- the old box shows 1PC Backups as 1.7TB of space used- the BDBB file was 441Mb- is this about right, or maybe the original backup failed in some way

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:03 pm 
Founder
Founder

The BDBB backup should be the same size as the "PC Backups" in the Storage tab. It sounds like you have an incomplete BDBB backup which would explain why your backups aren't showing up. 1.7TB is a quite large backup database, from my experience.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:42 am 

Just a quick update. I've been away for a few days- started this project about 24 hours ago- BDBB is slowly working away at the 1.7Tb file- about 20% done. Fortunately I am in no hurry as I am simply upgrading to a newer computer. Curious, why is this file so big? Most shared data has already been moved- could my approximately 12 months of backups take up that much space?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:43 am 
Founder
Founder

Hard to say without the details of your client PCs, but if you changed the defaults for the number of backups to keep from 3 months to 12 months, then certainly they could be big. I have the defaults, back up 5 PCs plus 2 old archived PCs, and my backup DB is about 500GB.

If you want to make regular backups, you may want to consider making changes that will make the backup DB smaller.

Thanks