It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:24 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Im learning more and more about the MSS world and I most likely will be purchasing one in the next few months. But I know everyones network is different and Im coming across some different ways to use my MSS. Here is my setup..
-4 port router (which ports are full going to my living room xbox, PS3, upstairs xbox and computer)
-LCD tv with only 2 HDMI ports(one port going to Satilite, and other being shared with xbox and PS3)

Now....If I connect thru my router Im going to need some sort of switch since my ports are full. Is this what people do and will I have good service out of this (meaning will I have to constantly switch a switch on the switch =). Also if I go with this setup Im restriced on what programs I can use since the PS3/xbox dont have a dashboard to use say xmbc of Media Browser (which I want)

The other way is if I direct connect to the tv but since I only have 2 HDMI I will need a switch box for that. Im using a cheap one for my PS3 and xbox and they cant be runing at the same time since they are using the same port. This rarely happens but there has been times I wanted to download on one but couldnt play the other one at the same time. Also if I connect directly to tv then I wont have the ease of moving folders/files around with my pc UNLESS I connect to the network which brings me back to having a switch on the back of the router...

I guees what Im asking is what is the best way to go about doing this and what hardware do I need??...Any direction will be helpful

Processor= AMD Phenom 2 Black Edition Multi-Core
Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:58 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

If you plug a switch into the router, the router will take care of all the IP assignments. It will be just like adding more ports to the router.
Get everything connected to the router and then everything should be happy.
That assumes that the TV has a network connection. If no network connection in the TV, I would let someone else wade in on that.

Depending on what router you have setting up a MAC/IP resevation is best so everything gets the same IP everytime.

Might be time to upgrade your router, Giga and more ports and more speed?

My solution is to buy newer stuff with all the options :lol:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:37 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

You didnt mention if your TV has network connection or not. We will assume that it doesnt. I sounds like no matter what you will need a new larger HDMI switch , they have some AUTO switching ones that work very well and keep a clean picture. check out these at Monoprice.com
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2 I use this one and it works well.

I use a couple of different methods each to its own. if you want min equipment and cost, and have network cable near by , you can purchase the WD TV Live plus, very small box and you plug your network or portable harddrive in and it will stream Video or Audio to your TV works very well and price is right.
here is the link. I use this in the bedroom . http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... ive%20plus

I my living room , I use a HTPC, this will give you the most options. HDMI plug in and full computer access to all features you need. will cost you more , you can either do wired or wireless. but will be a bigger unit as well, you will need a mouse and keyboard and possibly a media remote, this is a nice feature but not a big deal. if you do the computer make sure the video card will have HDMI audio thur put , so you dont have extra cables for sounds as well as video. there are other units like Popcorn Hour that are nice but are most costly. some of this will be depending on what features you want at that location. but having a Lan cable and more HDMI ports are a major plus.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:26 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thanx for the input...Sorry, I didnt mention that my tv does NOT have network connection built in. I have been using my PS3/PS3mediaserver for my connections.
I started thinking about the best way and both are very good suggestions but maybe Im missunderstanding exactly what a MMS can do. Can I buy a MMS, plug it into the back of my tv using the mentioned HDMI switch, and connect the MMS with a CAT6 to my router (its only a couple months old and does have a giga connection) and be able to add/remove/move video files thru my network with my computer??....Doing this all on a program that I install on the MMS like Media Browser or XBMC????

Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:49 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

simple answer NO. MMS is really a storage unit, design to do more than store. it will stream Video and audio to other computers and other devices like iphones, laptop, xbox, PS3 and does great backup of your computers. It only has a Network connection and USB ports nothing else. Now you can use your PS3 as a DLNA device but it doesnt stream that well from Home server stand point, but it does work. If you are looking for a more professional full feature device then the other ones I listed will suit you better. If you just want simple jpg viewing and simple mp3 playing with mpg4 or avi for movies your PS3 will work well. You would store all your files/Movies/music on the server and stream them to all the other device that will access a network or have DLNA capabilities. So what you really need is a good device with HDMI out put to connect to your TV, it just cant be the MMS. I have a PS3 but I didnt like all the limitation and poor GUI. Alot of the Newer TVs now have the network built in and DLNA built in to help with this but they are limited on what file types they can show and that why I went with the HTPC and WD TV live device.

info on DLNA http://www.dlna.org/digital_living/how_it_works/

Last edited by mksE55 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:56 pm 

katpeeler wrote:
Thanx for the input...Sorry, I didnt mention that my tv does NOT have network connection built in. I have been using my PS3/PS3mediaserver for my connections.
I started thinking about the best way and both are very good suggestions but maybe Im missunderstanding exactly what a MMS can do. Can I buy a MMS, plug it into the back of my tv using the mentioned HDMI switch, and connect the MMS with a CAT6 to my router (its only a couple months old and does have a giga connection) and be able to add/remove/move video files thru my network with my computer??....Doing this all on a program that I install on the MMS like Media Browser or XBMC????

No, that is not what the MSS is. If you want Media Browser or XBMC you will need an HTPC connected to your TV and to your network. Your MSS would then stream your media to your PC to be displayed on your TV. An alternative you a PC (i.e. HTPC) would be a dedicated media player such as the Dune or Popcorn Hour (you can find my reviews)

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:01 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Damn......you just added another $100 to the project...Ill do some more research on here about devices to connect to TV..I hear alot of people using the WD TV LIVE...So...I need...

-WD TV LIVE (or something similar) connection to my TV
-WD TV LIVE connected to MMS (wired will be the way. Crawl space and a teenager is the combonation)
-MMS connected to Router
So I still can move/add/remove/add artwork to video files thru my PC to the MMS???

Sorry about all the newbie questions but Ive looked around in the guide section and cant find anything for beginners

Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:21 pm 

katpeeler wrote:
Damn......you just added another $100 to the project...Ill do some more research on here about devices to connect to TV..I hear alot of people using the WD TV LIVE...So...I need...

-WD TV LIVE (or something similar) connection to my TV
-WD TV LIVE connected to MMS (wired will be the way. Crawl space and a teenager is the combonation)
-MMS connected to Router
So I still can move/add/remove/add artwork to video files thru my PC to the MMS???

Sorry about all the newbie questions but Ive looked around in the guide section and cant find anything for beginners

WD TV is popular. My player of choice these days is the Dune + Zappiti - http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/08 ... -the-dune/

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:31 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Well...I think you just talked me out of a MMS...Sounds to me like what I need is a good NAS connected to my network with a WD TV LIVE device connected..sorry for the confusion

Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:52 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

LOL , that was the combination I started with, WD WorldBOOK 1T and the WD live plus, works pretty good but if you do more than just movies it will be limited. I had a need for Backing up my computers. backup of my personal photo, home videos and music. then I wanted to watch DVD without getting DVDs down everytime. the NAS was limited in size. it will allow for a USB attached drive and you can get them in 4T with 2T usb ext drive, would be an ok start and for alot of people probably would work for 1-2 years. Me I had 10 years of photos, about 500gig, 1T of home video and then 1T of DVDs. SO if you price this you can get the MSS for about 100.00 more and this will have almost limitless storage and streaming compared to the NAS , so I jumped onto the MSS bandwagon, glad I did this now has 17T storage. streams to everything and does autobackup of all my computers and laptops. You really just want to look at needs , if you just doing movies you will be fine with the NAS and WD has a good setup for the whole process, the Worldbook II is pretty good http://store.westerndigital.com/store/w ... d.13092900 . but again if you watching cost I think you will see that for expansion later the MSS is the way to go.

Last edited by mksE55 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:23 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

WELLLLL.............Since you put it that way....I can see in the long run a MSS will be better..I do back up my computers but I usualy only do it a couple times a year since I realy only use them for recreation and dont have files/documents that change all the time...Just photos/pics/movies...Seems Im highjacking my own thread but can you recomend a "starter MMS" to get me going??..Trying to save up the money for it right now trying to keep cost down...I probably have almost 1T of data to use with a WD TV LIVE

Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:21 pm 

This is really complicated. Can I just pay someone to do this for me??haha:)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:30 pm 
Founder
Founder

Sure, there local home theater installers and IT people that would be happy to set it up if pay them.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

katpeeler wrote:
WELLLLL.............Since you put it that way....I can see in the long run a MSS will be better..I do back up my computers but I usualy only do it a couple times a year since I realy only use them for recreation and dont have files/documents that change all the time...Just photos/pics/movies...Seems Im highjacking my own thread but can you recomend a "starter MMS" to get me going??..Trying to save up the money for it right now trying to keep cost down...I probably have almost 1T of data to use with a WD TV LIVE

I am partial to the HP EX490/EX495 but the others are worth a look, newegg has them back in stock . http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... hp%20ex490, comes with the 1T drive installed. you can get the upgrade model if you have more to spend as the processor is moderately faster and would be better if your not a computer whiz about working on computers. here EX495 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6859105563 the sad part was they were on sale both for about 70.00 cheaper just a month ago. but still ok at this price. here is the others ones and are good setups as well.
Acer -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... acer%20whs
some people build there own computer and just load windows home server, the HP and Acer models just have a nice simpler user interface but still all do the same thing.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:51 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Ive been searching the guides/reviews since my last post and another question...Im looking at the Popcorn Hour products and I am seeing the YAMJ programs that get your metadata....But I havent figured out where do you need your data since the way it reads it searches computer..Im trying to get away from having my computer on every time I want to watch a movie...And the slang or abbreviations are throwing me off...my question is does every MMS have windows home server loaded?? Since it seams I need this to run YAMJ...Or am I mistaken?? I can put all my movies on the MMS and with YAMJ on it I will have the slick interface on the popcorn hour machine....Thanx again dude

EDIT+++++++ It does seem that every MMS comes with WHS installed so I guees YAMJ piggy backs on it.....

Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks