It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Re: Synology Ds1511+
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:48 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I don't think this was a Microsoft corporate decision.
I think it was made at the group level by the SBS team.
They have always been a marginilized operation which is why they were lumped in with the Home server group.
Unfortunately for us they now want to minimized the uniqueness of WHS and have common bones.
So being prodominately a STD Server groups with a bit of oddness thrown in for small business they mandated this without regard as to how the customers that use the product would really recieve it.
Now they know everyone hates the idea but they still feel they are right and if you just give it enough time it will blow over and the user community will just have to accept the new perameters of the OS.

I just want to ask a couple questions.
How many people do you know running Small Business Server?
Given this groups historical pricing do you think Vail will stay at $100
What do you think the market penetration will be if Vail breaks $500
Do you think this is a recipe for the obscurity that is the SBS product line.
Do you really think Balmar looked into anything beyond the refridgerator?

I have been an System Admin for well over 20yrs and can tell you from my experience Microsoft is AWSOME at taking good products and making them so convoluted you hate them.
They are equally good at ignoring every bit of feedback offered.
And exceptionally good at proffering products they believe we the users want with excitement.

If somehow you figure out how to make a version of windows work acceptably for you just wait for an update to screw the pooch.
How many of us ritually turn off Auto Update service to keep it from mangleing your system.
I would also bet a fair number disable the firewall and UAC junk as well but Microsoft thinks these are great features.

GRRRRRRR Forgive me I just spent a night messing with non sensical junk in Server 2008 that used to work very well in 2003 but they changed it.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Synology Ds1511+
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:25 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Actually there are a very small amount of organizations i know that uses SBS due to the lack of functionality, easy of implementation and of course the cost of initial deployment and maintenance. If by any chance they decide to charge more for Vail , which i already see happening, must people wont even think about upgrading. On the other hand more and more user people are looking into Apple product and MS knows that so they will have to find a way to attrack customers, and low prices and product features is the way to go.
Do you know the market share whs v1 has? I have been trying to find this information to try and make sense of all this fiasco.

Thanks