It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:42 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi,

In the wake of the news that HP is killing the media server and the uncertainty about what MS will provide in the future, I want to find out about what are the potential alternatives out there? Linux based solutions? Mac OS based solutions? Does anything come close to the WHS? I expect my existing WHS will continue to function for a long time barring hardware failures but it would be good to research some back up solutions just in case.

Any thoughts?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:28 pm 

Amahi is one I have heard thrown around, I think it is Linux based - http://www.amahi.org/

I have also been digging into WHS + FlexRAID

UnRAID would be another option - http://www.lime-technology.com/

I haven't had too much time to look into all of these so I don't know specifically what the pros/cons are of each, especially vs WHS. For example I think of UnRAID purely as a storage solution. With WHS + FlexRAID you get all the benefits of RAID for storage/redundancy but also get the bells and whistles of WHS (client backups, remote access, etc...). However, I don't know how easy it is to manage disks under FlexRAID, rebuild, etc...

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:21 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I have a DIY WHS running a i5 chip. Almost a year old and NO problems. I almost bought an HP 495, but was not happy with the restrictive hardware (CPU and Ram) and inadequate media software ( I have all MKV's).I would either build a DIY Homes server, running WHS or Just get WIN 7 Ultimate. It has automated BACKUP capability and the ability to create an Image of a hard drive. That is about all I use my HS for anyway. I built an i7 HTPC 6 months ago and just installed a 2TB drive in it last night to experiment with the backup and drive image capability of Win 7. Must be Ultimate or Professional. Home Premium doesnt have those features.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:21 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

WHSv1 has mainstream support to January 2013 with no announced extended support date (link), so from a support perspective there is no burning need to do anything. The OS on which it is based went on extended support last July and will be supported through July 2015 for things like bug and security fixes. You can always buy a copy of the software and build your own machine if you want a new WHS server.

I will probably upgrade to the next version of SBS once it is released. I am assuming that MS will incorporate the backup features from WHS into this product (I imagine I could sign up for the beta and remove all doubt). As long as Time Machine backups are adequately supported, then one of my major requirements is covered. I am testing SBS2008 running an iTunes client to serve up video for my AppleTVs. The library resides on a share on the WHS machine. This seems to be working ok so that solves my other major requirement. My current inclination would be to use a Drobo or similar device for external storage for this server, probably connected via either eSATA or possibly iSCSI.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:14 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/36458/9- ... -extender/

Included is a link to a very comprehensive overview of alternatives.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:02 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Well, the above list is not quite complete, Flexraid Live is now in a private beta release, and will be in a public beta release this month.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:24 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I'm keeping hope that something will come about before if/when my WHS dies. I hope there's a need for this sort of thing (outside of these small communities) and if that's the case, someone will come up with something good, I'm hoping. Even if its as simple as Drobo putting some client backup software and remote access capabilities into their hardware, that would most likely be fine for me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:32 am 

amheck wrote:
I'm keeping hope that something will come about before if/when my WHS dies. I hope there's a need for this sort of thing (outside of these small communities) and if that's the case, someone will come up with something good, I'm hoping. Even if its as simple as Drobo putting some client backup software and remote access capabilities into their hardware, that would most likely be fine for me.

I figure we still have a least a couple of years of WHS v1 support/usability which should give plenty of time for other solutions to develop. I would be more interested in Drobo if they were to decouple their hardware from their sotware

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:12 am 

As mentioned, there is a linux alternative to WHS called Amahi that looks interesting. However, someone else pointed this out and it is stuff like this that makes Amahi a fail (IMO) as an alternative:

If you want to add a hard drive you need to whip out a multi page wiki :shock:

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Adding_ ... o_your_HDA

It is stuff like this that makes me content to stick with WHS v1 for the foreseeable future and see if any developers can come up with a reasonable alternative.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:43 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

http://www.thecus.com/

These had some cool stuff:
USB3
up to 7 bays
Celeron and memory that might be upgradeable

I am going to research more. Just sayin ( I have a X510 still in the box) \:D/