It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:15 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

since iv been debating between building my or server or buying a HP server. iv all but decided on a HP

Transcoding
I wont use it all the time. but from time to time i will stream to my phone over the internet or to my computer if im away from home. ( i traval some with work)

How does the HP media server handle transcoding. i use h.264 files on my pc and stream to my ps3. my android phone wont use h.264 so i would have to reencode on the fly. what program can i use to transcode h.264 to divx on the fly and how will the media server handle this. will it bog down or will it be no problem.

also once i get a new tv i will stream to it over my network too.. the tv doesnt support h.264 either

all media files are DVD quality or 1080p

iv this answer is what im looking for im going to get a mediaserver next month

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:29 am 
Founder
Founder

The Video Converter can convert files for you, but not on the fly. For on-the-fly transcoding you'll need something like Orb or TVersity, which you can install on the server. See the Media Streaming forum for more details about streaming.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:07 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

One problem you may run into is your broadband connection. Most ISP's in the US provide good download speeds but absolute crap for upload. You may not be able to upload fast enough to keep up with the video. That is the problem I have run into. I get 7Mbps down but only 384Kbps up.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:56 pm 

I have no issues streaming video content online. Now I use ORB to share my video content but I have also used the HP 3.x software which performed well and have used the streaming features in Vail in the past to test out the stream. Some of the effects of streaming interuptions can be attributed to demigrator or QSM when they are active on the server. Some of those effects are elliminated on my primary server because it has 2 Opteron Duel Core processors running.

All that said I believe if you have a well configured gigbit network and have the fixes in place for things like Twonky and demigrator or QSM are not active on your MSS you should get good results with your video streams. There is a way to temporarily disable demirator that others have written about to allow good Media Streaming from an MSS.

While the amount of bandwith you have could indeed have an impact particularly if you have a low speed DSL connection I do not forsee an issue with most if not all cable internet connections with media streaming but I do see as mentioned above the impact of certain server functions that can and do impact these functions but they can be worked around.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks