It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:23 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Sorry, I can't speak to HandBrake/DVD Decrypter issues on Windows as I'm on OS X. All I can say is that my rips are quite fast. Also, what quality setting are you using with the ATV preset? 70% is a waste, IMO. At 65% you'll have a hard time seeing a quality difference. The more options you turn on during your rip, the longer the process will take. Use CRF versus two pass.

I'd really like to ask to not turn this into a HandBrake/DVD ripping thread; that's not unique to the ATV and not the scope of this FAQ.

Finally, I'm not sure what "low framerates" mean in this context with ATV: your ripping speed with HandBrake/anyotherprogram has, again, nothing to do with ATV. You'll have to rip those videos for any display device to put them on your MSS.

The HandBrake forums are located here.

Good luck!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:33 pm 
Mr. XXX

'nuff said....thanks for all your help.....

Im really disappointed cause I fell in love with the AppleTV for sure.....

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:42 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Abulia wrote:
I'd really like to ask to not turn this into a HandBrake/DVD ripping thread; that's not unique to the ATV and not the scope of this FAQ.

I'm sorry but I believe it is time to air some "dirty laundry". I don't know what it is about you Abulia but you seem to have control issues. My first inclination of this was when you criticized they way I titled a thread because you felt like I wasted your time "making" you read it. When I asked for you to offer your opinion regarding ATV in THAT thread your comment was that it didn't belong there. We can see this same attitude in this thread, and it is annoying

If you haven't noticed by now the members of this forum are very patient and don't criticize others even when they ask questions that have already been posed. They simply and kindly post a link to the prior thread and in many cases offer even more additional information. It is NOT a typical message board where Noob's get flamed for asking questions and self proclaimed "experts" try to rule the roost.

Furthermore it was YOU that referenced Handbrake in the first place. If you didn't want to discuss anything but your precious ATV you shouldn't have brought up Handbrake in the first place.

You seem to be very knowledgeable with regard to Apple TV and other members (including myself) have found your information valuable. I just feel it is time for you to get off your high horse.

You are NOT the ruler of thread titles nor should you attempt to control their content.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:54 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Abulia wrote:
Sorry, I can't speak to HandBrake/DVD Decrypter issues on Windows as I'm on OS X. All I can say is that my rips are quite fast. Also, what quality setting are you using with the ATV preset? 70% is a waste, IMO. At 65% you'll have a hard time seeing a quality difference. The more options you turn on during your rip, the longer the process will take. Use CRF versus two pass.

Keeping in mind your request not to turn this into a ripping thread, can you recommend a good place? I've not visited the Handbreak community, so perhaps that is the best place?

I do have one question, however, if you don't mind. By quality do you mean the "Constant Quality" setting under the Video tab? If been using the default setting, which is 0%.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:03 pm 
Mr. XXX

Well...I can understand the concern about turning this into a HANDBRAKE thread....but I disagree that HANDBRAKE has nothing to do with MSS....

I , at the time, was making the decision to purchase the ATV on my MSS and since it appears that the popular program to use for this is HANDBRAKE, I really dont see a problem with talking about HANDBRAKE....we could move it to the "OFF THE TOPIC" board but I dont think we should stop talking about it cause it has nothing to do with MSS....

Plus I would expect to get "DUMB" or basic questions about ATV and HANDBRAKE becuase we are on a windows based message board....so I wont take the route of being upset about the withholding of information or the assumptions that are sometimes made that someone has not researched something just becuase they are asking a question...Ill classify my attitude as disappointed....I wasnt asking "How do I install this program" or what is handbrake" I think I was asking some more difficult questions...

I , for one, went to the HANDBRAKE forum and man...they are mean! they never really answered a post about basic stuff...there was alot of criticizing....please I hope we dont get that way...that would suck....

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:06 am 
Founder
Founder

Wow, you all are so still so very polite even when disagreeing! :D I'm not sure what it is about this place, but it's easily the most laid-back forum I've ever visited. :beer:

I can respect Abulia's request to keep this thread on-track about ATV topics, and would love to see a thread devoted to Handbrake started in the Off-Topic forum.

Merely my suggestion. :)

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:29 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Land Master wrote:
You are NOT the ruler of thread titles nor should you attempt to control their content.
Hence why I made it a request.

HandBrake was mentioned, and linked, as a resource among many.

If the forum owner respects my request -- and understands it -- I fail to see why you take issue with it or continue to berate me for my hard work in sharing this information.

In short, you don't have an ATV and no desire to get one, yet you've got plenty of time to come in here and take a dump on this thread. I think that bespeaks more about you than my "control issues." :roll:

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:35 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Leif wrote:
Keeping in mind your request not to turn this into a ripping thread, can you recommend a good place? I've not visited the Handbreak community, so perhaps that is the best place?
Most definitely. They're absurdly well-versed in encoding, formats, and how to maximize HandBrake. There are several threads that I am participating in, over there, in regards to the ATV and maximizing video quality.

In short, encoding is such a complex process that the details would derail this thread and replicate information that already exists unnecessarily. Plus the HandBrake devs are experts in this field, something I am far from.

And, as I've pointed out, that type of discussion isn't just specific to the ATV; anyone interested in ripping their content to an MSS would find HandBrake a) useful and b) the information over there valuable.

Fair warning: They don't suffer fools easily over there. Read their FAQ, posting guidelines, and use the search feature. They tend to eat n00bs for breakfast. :D

Hope that helps!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:41 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

JesD wrote:
Well...I can understand the concern about turning this into a HANDBRAKE thread....but I disagree that HANDBRAKE has nothing to do with MSS....
Thanks for your understanding. If you'd like to start a new thread or PM me I'll share what I know about getting the most out of HandBrake.

Also, I said HandBrake had nothing to do (directly) with the ATV, not that it had nothing to do with the MSS.
Quote:
I , for one, went to the HANDBRAKE forum and man...they are mean! they never really answered a post about basic stuff...there was alot of criticizing....please I hope we dont get that way...that would suck....
I'm sorry that happened and I should have warned you. :(

[Edit] Oh and I forgot last night to try playing an rip with DD + AAC on both the ATV and the 360 in an mp4 container. I'll try to get to that this weekend. I'm pretty sure it'll play on the ATV but won't recognize the DD stream; I think that has to be in an m4v container.

Last edited by Abulia on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
 Post subject: Now on the Wiki!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:48 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

A big thank you to Cougar for taking the time to place the content of this Super FAQ on the MSS.net Wiki. Cougar made it all linky and pretty!

Thanks, Cougar! :D

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:51 am 
Mr. XXX

Thanks Abulia. Im pretty decent at figuring software and hardware out but for some reason this HandBrake has got my number.
ATV was a snap. I had it set up in less than 3 minutes!!!

Ill start a thread cause I've seen some other people intrested in Handbrake.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:43 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Here's a link to JesD's HandBrake thread.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:09 pm 
Mr. XXX

Abulia wrote:

[Edit] Oh and I forgot last night to try playing an rip with DD + AAC on both the ATV and the 360 in an mp4 container. I'll try to get to that this weekend. I'm pretty sure it'll play on the ATV but won't recognize the DD stream; I think that has to be in an m4v container.

So this statement really got my attention!!! Ive been trying to do this too....Ill share what I think Ive figured out so far in hopes to save you some time.

I ripped one VOB file from a dvd ( so test purposes ) using handbrake. The extension was m4v. Trasnferred to the MSS. It was recognized and played in ATV but not recognized in XBOX 360.
I changed the extension to .avi and it was recognized and played on the 360 but not recognized on the ATV.

I also have some ipod videos ( mp4 ) and they are recognized on ATV but not on XBOX 360 until I change the extension to AVI.
I think the 360 plays h264, mov, and mp4 but doesnt stream them. Thats my ultimate goal: to find a way for ATV and the 360 to play the same video files ( streaming ) and not have to have 2 libraries for each type of media extender.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:42 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Right. I need to research what the 360 will see/play and find the common denominator. Ultimately I think the DD + AAC requirement of the ATV to use m4v is going to be the limiter.

I love my 360 but use it solely as a game console; I don't stream any content to it and its jet-like fan engine. ;)

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:18 pm 

Any idea how to make a script that will tell iTunes to scan the library and reset/forget "last point played" for any video that hasn't been played in x hours?

If a movie or tv show hasn't been played in 2 weeks I don't really feel like being asked to if I want to restart movie or resume playback.

Thanks again Abulia (it's termed hijacking a thread btw ;) )

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next