It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:07 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

swim2383 wrote:
If a movie or tv show hasn't been played in 2 weeks I don't really feel like being asked to if I want to restart movie or resume playback.

Interesting. I have the same complaint about my iPhone. It really should have a DONE button.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:30 pm 

Leif wrote:
swim2383 wrote:
If a movie or tv show hasn't been played in 2 weeks I don't really feel like being asked to if I want to restart movie or resume playback.

Interesting. I have the same complaint about my iPhone. It really should have a DONE button.

Alright, I have my script running that looks for new media every 5-10 minutes (I can't remember which I set it for). I want a second script that I'll run at 3am that will: 1) Look for files that have been removed, 2) Rescan/update the metadata for all files (OR telling it to rescan specific folders), 3) Reset the "remember last point played" for files that haven't been played for x hours, 4) Force a sync with the AppleTV so the new metadata is updated.

Anyone know how to do any of that... or point me to some APIs I can read through to figure it out myself?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:33 am 

Thanks for all of the great info posted here. I have installed iTunes on my MSS but I cannot get it to recognize the library that I copied to the Music share folder.

If I move the libray (iTunes folder and .xml file , etc) to the Administrator Documents folder on the C: drive on the MSS it will recognize it, but the C: drive is too full. I've gone it to iTunes to point the library to the share folder on D: with no luck.

What I am trying to accomplish is to have iTunes on the MSS be "always on" so that I can stream songs and video to my plasma and AV receiver that is connected to my Apple TV. I've tried to "connect" the AppleTV to the HP MSS iTunes folder, which works, but the library that is there has many duplicates that resulted from turning on the default iTunes on the MSS and having it connect to multiple computers on my net (different computers and iTunes libraries for family members)... but that's a topic for a different post.

Thanks in advance!!!

Bill

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:30 am 
Mr. XXX

Well the way I did it was just to move all my mp3s ( 11,000+ ) to the MUIC folder, then point iTUnes to that folder.

I never tried to use the xml file in there...I just started fresh!

Hope I understood your problem....

I have iTunes and 3 Apple Tvs. I also have the MUSIC default folder on the MSS shared for my Xbox 360's and I dont have any duplicates

CFI ESata 4 Bay Enclosure
San Digital 4 Bay Enclosure-USB ( for backup )
3 Apple TVs - Streaming from MSS
2 Xbox 360 - Streaming from MSS

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:47 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Abulia wrote:

What you need is a meta-tagging application. For OS X try MetaX, a free download. With this you can batch encode your movies, download actor and movie information from Amazon, browse movie art, etc and tag all of your files correctly. You can also do TV shows which will then organize on the ATV by show, rather than by file, making for a lot less clutter.

What about for Windows?

Also does drive extender or disk extender what ever it is called play havoc with the Itunes software? I mean does it loose connection with the song library when its spread between 2 or 3 drives.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:03 pm 
Mr. XXX

Ive had no problem with losing connection through iTunes. I have 4 disks and use itunes to stream to 3 AppleTVs

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:57 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Thanks for the info. Now i just need to figure out if my media will stream. i have it encoded at

Resolution 720x480 (480p)
Framerate 29.97 fps
Audio Quality 160 kbps
Sample rate 48000Hz
Video Codec h264
Audio Codec mpeg4aac

I guess we will see. I dont have an AppleTV yet... but the plan is that I will. what I wanted iTunes for was to organize my videos and tag them. I also wanted to put info about the movies down so that I can scroll through and see what a movie is about before i watch it.

I have been looking for a screen shots for the "Program launcher". This way i could get an idea of what it looked like so i can theorize a little more about what it does. information about it I thought was a little sparse. But after a little while looking on the internet I found it. hahaha. I laugh because i have been to this site many many times and missed it. hahaha. For those interested here is what I found:

http://mswhs.files.wordpress.com/2007/0 ... uncher.png

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:36 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

It looks as if iTunes 7.7 might be the version to install. It allows you to use your Ipod/Iphone as a remote for Itunes. This could be very nice indeed.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:08 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

You want to use this if you want to use the new Remote app in the 2.0fw iphone/ipod as well. :)

Great guide!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:18 pm 
Mr. XXX

Just to report.......
I installed 7.7 iTunes and although Im not using it to remote control iTunes through my iPhone 3G, all my streaming, etc works just like it did before.....
so you should have no issues if you are thinking about upgrading...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:20 am 

Hey Abulia, great FAQ... Thanks for all the work.

I do have one question though. The script that you referred to for auto-updating the iTunes library is no longer available at that location.

Do you or anyone else have a copy of it? Can it be posted somewhere so that people can access it (I'll be happy to host it if someone sends it to me)

Last edited by tuxster on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:05 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

http://users.pandora.be/bruno.keymolen/hmedia.html , this link is to Home Mediacloud, a upnp client for Apple TV, tested on Twonky.

Enjoy,
Ben[/url]

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:28 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

is there still format restrictions? I am not sure if the media I encoded for my PS3 will work on AppleTV as I dont have one yet.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:48 pm 

Could you please clarify the instruction: From iTunes point to your music library on the MSS and “Add to Library.” This will add your library contents to the iTunes library.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:46 pm 

Abulia wrote:
Hints & Tips
Combine "My Content" & "Shared Content" Together
By default synced content shows up under "My Content" (where "Content" is "Movies", "Music", etc) and streamed content shows up under "Shared Content" (where "Content" is "Movies", "Music", etc).

If you set your ATV to stream and sync all content will show under both menu items. Since "My Content" and "Shared Content" reside at the bottom of the menu tree, this makes it a little easier to get to your content.

You can sync anything you'd like and it doesn't matter what. For example, you can sync one blank photograph, a single music file, etc. As long as your ATV has a synced connection with any other device all your content will be displayed under both menu items!

I know the above is pretty old now (from the first page of this thread), but I can not get it this work the way you explain. I have a synced "main" library on one computer, and a "shared" library on another. ONLY the library items on the synced computer shows up in MyContent, while ONLY the items from the shared computer show up in Shared Content. They are NEVER combined. It would be a big improvement if they were, but they're not. Am I missing some secret step here?

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next