It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:53 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hello everybody,

Great info on this site. I am not a computer networking buff, so I would appreciate a little help.

Currently, I have my main Windows XP computer connected to EX495 through an ethernet port. I also have 2 Mac laptops connected wirelessly. Everything is working fine for my needs. Now, I just purchased a Windows 7 machine to replace my main computer and I am trying to decide what is the best way to migrate all my data from the old machine to the new (with or without the help of EX495). The way I see it I have a few options:

1. Use Windows Easy Transfer which requires a purchase of the special USB cable

2. Use an external HD and transfer my files manually

3. Use EX 495 to simply "restore" old data on my new machine (can I do that?).

I'd like to hear your thought on the best way of doing this. Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:40 pm 

Best way I know to migrate your stuff from one client to another is LapLinks PC Mover. I have used it in the past and if you buy the right package they will include a USB-USB transfer cable which works well. There were only a couple programs I was not able to migrate so I can not say it works well with everything but it will move more then just programs.

As for you Windows XP client do not toss it. If your Win 7 client is 64 bit you will need the Win XP Client if its 32 bit to recovery your server should the day come when you need to perform a server recovery. If your Win 7 client is 32 bit then you should be fine.

I was just today testing Server Recoveries out and tried a Win 7 64 Bit Client and it installed the OS but failed in the end. Now your EX495 has a slightly different recovery procedure then my EX470's and my HP ProLiant but the client you use is the key to the success of the recovery.

Now others may have had success with using 64 bit clients I just have not been successful in my attempts. So do not throw the XP Machine out just yet. It may be of use for you down the road.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:22 pm 

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum - been lurking for a little while and I'm waiting for my EX495 to arrive from B&H. \:D/

But whoa! I've done a TON of research and this is the first I've heard of needing a 32-bit client to restore the server. I currently have an XP machine but I was looking forward to tossing it and getting a new Win 7 64-bit laptop.

Please tell me other people have successfully restored the server with 64-bit clients. Anyone?

Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:01 pm 
Founder
Founder

I restore with a 64-bit Vista system regularly, I'm not aware of any requirement for a 32-bit system. 32-bit software in general has no issues running on 64-bit systems.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
sugarbear
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:12 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

A newbie here. I didn't even KNOW there was a 32 bit / 64 bit issue. Took my brand new EX490 out of the shipping box, plopped in a 2 TB WD Black Caviar as the system drive and did a Factory Reset using my 64 bit Windows 7 Professional laptop. Your results may vary, but I didn't have a problem.

Regarding data transfer, I just moved 300 GB from a NAS to the EX490 (used "Second Copy" to do the copying). Data transfer rates from NAS to EX490 (via a D-Link gigabit router) averaged about 10 MB/sec x 2, so moving content from laptop A to MMS to Laptop B is not all that unfeasble either.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:37 pm 

Here is the experience I encountered when attempting to use a 64 bit version of Win 7 Ultimate. The recovery starts up just fine but after the part where the server reboots several times and then resumes the recovery I would receive an error that indicates the recovery could not continue because it was not written for that version of Windows.

Now this was with regards to an EX470 and at this time I was working on a Factory Recovery Proceedure with both the HP v1.3 and 3.x software versions. I would then resume the recovery using a 32 bit version of Windows XP which I have always had no issues what so ever with.

What I will do but can not do it today but will attempt this tomorrow is I will run a recovery with a 64 bit Win 7 Ultimate and Win 7 Home Premium on my test server and if the error pops up I will post a picture of it to show what I see on my end and I will use only the 3.x version of HP's software.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:02 pm 
Founder
Founder

Comp1962, that's because it's trying to launch the 32-bit WHS client connector software. The recovery itself has no issues, but you will need to perform the initial connection with a 32-bit system. Note that this is only relevant for the EX47x servers running the original 1.0 software, the 3.0 software and newer servers do not have this limitation due to Microsoft's PP1 being included on the newer images.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
sugarbear
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:40 pm 

Thanks for the clarification on this Alex. Its not my intention to mislead or confuse anyone. You just saved me some time in executing a recovery.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks