It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:31 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Does anyone know how to clear out the media converter queue or add new files to the queue?

I have tried restarting all associated services, turning the media converter on/off, and rebuilding the Twonky DB. Nothing seems to do the trick...

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:59 pm 
Founder
Founder

If you don't want to see the content that has been converted, then uncheck the Checkbox on the status page. If you want to add new files, then you must drop the new files into the shared folder that you have configured the Converter to look in. Twonky has nothing to do with the Converter so restarting that will not help. :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:14 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have so much junk that was initially picked up I just want to clear everything out and specify one designated folders to look in.

Also - is there a reason it will only look in the "VIDEOS" share? Why can't I specify a shared subdirectory?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:19 pm 
Founder
Founder

I created a new share called "To be converted" and place all content that I wanted converted in there, then delete it after conversion is complete.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:13 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
I created a new share called "To be converted" and place all content that I wanted converted in there, then delete it after conversion is complete.

Yeah, I wound up going that route too. I just moved everything into a new folder and it was picked up.

My conversion seem to be taking a REALLLY long time. A single 750MB file took over 10 hours. At this rate its going to be weeks before everything is finished. On top of that my CPU is at 100% while the converter is running, so the server is essentially useless for anything else... :?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:18 am 
Founder
Founder

The converter is supposed to run in the background, is it making your system difficult to use while it is converting? I did not experience that...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:34 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

glide wrote:
Does anyone know how to clear out the media converter queue or add new files to the queue?

I have tried restarting all associated services, turning the media converter on/off, and rebuilding the Twonky DB. Nothing seems to do the trick...

Have you tried looking in this folder ?

D:\folders\{8BA2C80A-EBCE-4EB7-9688-34B7CA729661}\twonkymedia.db

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:34 am 
Founder
Founder

The Video Converter is Arcsoft for the conversion, and HP code for the file management. Twonky isn't involved except for streaming...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:25 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
The converter is supposed to run in the background, is it making your system difficult to use while it is converting? I did not experience that...

Yes, it becomes impossible to use. I have also found that during conversion I will occasionally have to recycle the Transcode service to get things moving again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:33 pm 
Founder
Founder

I've been doing more digging into how this feature works, and have updated the Wiki entry with details on how to debug and troubleshoot the Converter, as well as how to clear the Conversion History.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:06 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Thanks Yakuza for updating the Wiki. :mss:

I also have the same issue as Glide, when conversion is running, the CPU cycles are high and it takes a while before other processes are run. I have 2 gigs of ram but the original CPU. I can hear my fan speed up during conversion so I know that it's taken over I can also verify using Task Manager. If I open Conversion in the Console and set it to Pause, things go back to normal, for now I just start it up overnight.

It does not seem to be running in the background as it should. I did not read anything about this in the Wiki.

Any suggestions to verify that it only runs when idle ?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:33 pm 
Founder
Founder

"Idle" is a loosely defined term, I believe HP defines it as no backups running, no media streaming, and no significant network activity. If you've installed the 2.5 update on your EX470 and are not using the ServerMonitor service included with 2.5 (ie you have reverted to the old ServerMonitor service from 1.3 to regain your LEDs) you may not be getting the benefit of the QoS monitoring. You can check the following reg key on the server.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\QoS\

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
Diehard
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:26 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yakuza wrote:
"Idle" is a loosely defined term, I believe HP defines it as no backups running, no media streaming, and no significant network activity. If you've installed the 2.5 update on your EX470 and are not using the ServerMonitor service included with 2.5 (ie you have reverted to the old ServerMonitor service from 1.3 to regain your LEDs) you may not be getting the benefit of the QoS monitoring. You can check the following reg key on the server.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\QoS\

Thanks, this is what I have,

Might it then be posible to pause the service using a scheduled task to run during the evening, then if backups or media streaming or network traffic is happening, the built in pause would take over ?

Attachments:
Qos.PNG
Qos.PNG [ 20.08 KiB | Viewed 11416 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:33 pm 
Founder
Founder

I'd probably try initiating a backup and seeing if the QoS status updates in the Registry, this should tell you if the service is correctly setting the status. I've not experimented/investigated too much with this yet so am not sure...

Thanks