All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: UPS PASSIVE MODE
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:18 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hi all

Here we go again the n00b is in search of more assistance. lol

I have performed a forum search and have come across a few confusing terms, hense this post. I am trying to use the search function more to avoid more (possibly) silly questions..

Could someone please explain to me and perhaps assist me with something. Basically i have bought a UPS to run on my machine. Is is the APC ES 400 (no USB Support model).. foolishly i got this model as it were cheaper than the others, however i may be regretting this decision and have to buy another for use with my server...

Am i able to set the mediasmart/windows to shutdown when power switches over to battery supply.. Does the OS realise you are running on battery power even tho it is not linked via USB.. Is this referred to as using the UPS in passive mode?

Are there utils/add ins i can download?

Sorry to be a pain, as always, assistance and explanations of the process greatly appreciated.

Dan :oops: :P :P

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: UPS PASSIVE MODE
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:08 pm 

Unfortunately, you're instincts are correct. You'll need a different UPS in order to shutdown the MSS when it goes on battery power and reaches some preset battery level. The USB cable between the MSS and UPS is what allows for detection of the changed power state from AC power to battery power and then whatever software you're using executes as it has been set up to do. When you get a UPS with a USB connection, install the Grid Junction add-in. It works very good with the MSS and shut's it down very effeciently with no problems. It also has some other neat bells and whistles that allow you to shut down other PCs remotely when Grid Junction detects a loss of AC power.

UPS in passive mode generally means it's not hooked up via USB cable and the MSS or other device merely runs on the battery power until either the battery runs out, you intervene and shut it down before battery runs out or AC power is restored.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:19 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

crap, somehow i knew you were going to say that... guess that means i will need to spend another £70 and use my current one for something else...

On that note, which APC UPS would you recommend?

thanks again :P

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:06 pm 

I definately recommend APC as the manufacturer. Excellent company and I understand that Grid Junction was designed around APC. As for a particular model, it just depends on what load you intend to have on it and how long you want it to be able to run on battery. I'm personally using the APC BR 800 (there is also a BR900 that is similar). It gives me a enough battery to connect my MSS, a desktop PC, router and modem, and was at a good price point for the power. I tried a slightly larger one but returned it because it had a fan running in it to cool it and I didn't want yet another fan running/making noise. I have the MSS using Grid Junction set to power down the desktop PC as soon as the battery kicks on and then power down the MSS when the battery has about 75 to 80% left on it. This gets me by power blips and short outages and for longer outages, it leaves my router and modem running so I can monitor storms via my laptop (we get large storms down here and when power goes out, it means a big storm usually). Ultimately, think about how you're going to use it...what will be attached...and add up the number of watts those items use and select one with enough headroom for the total wattage.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:18 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

excellent advice, i live in an area where we have a small substation thing powering our culdy sack... whenever there is a cut, it causes that thing to blow and so we normally go without power for a few hours until they fit a temporary generator... which so happens to generate too much power and causes our house clocks to run fast and so must be generating fluctuating power cycles to other devices.... perhaps with this in mind a higher wattage one would be better... and of course they all give surge/power regulation which is good i guess... thanks for your help.... is a real shame i have to purchase another one... can use the old one for something else... i only need the new one to safely shut down the server, and run a monitor also... perhaps for a short while... i can use my other one to run a laptop and my router for internet use during the power cuts.. :P :P

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:24 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

where is the best place to obtain the grid junction add in?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:38 pm 

danny_248 wrote:
where is the best place to obtain the grid junction add in?

http://www.kentdome.com/

or

http://www.homeserverland.com/media/g/w ... ageIndex=1

It's a free add-on.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:40 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

even after registering home server land will not let me download this file?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:19 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Right, finally got the new UPS... APC 350 CS... Plugged it into the server and so far so good. touch wood... havent needed to install the grid add-in or the supplied powerchute software... Will this make a massive difference as windows has support for APC UPS power management... The windows based shutdown malarkey seems to have set itself up and notifies and shuts down the server when running on critical battery... to monitor this i can just plug my custom VGA lead output into my monitor (also running on ups) and check it... i'm a bit cautious in that if i install the power grid add-in it will cock it up... any suggestions.. shall i stick with the current setup??????????? "if it aint broke, dont fix it" :D :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:06 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I use Grid Junction...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:32 pm 

Grid Junction is really the best way to go for this stuff. It was designed specifically for WHS and it works very well.

I've been using it since I got my MSS. Works very well.

Thanks