It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:47 pm 

Which version of Java do I need to install on my MSS to upgrade it to the current version? I assume the MSS uses a special WHS or server edition of Java and want to make sure I install the correct one that works for WHS and I don't screw up my WHS.

I RDC'd into my WHS and see that I currently have Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_13.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:31 am 
Founder
Founder

That Java was installed by HP for the Webshare, if you upgrade the Java version there is a (very small and unlikely) chance that it could cause issues with the webshare. Is there a reason you want to upgrade?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:55 am 

yakuza wrote:
That Java was installed by HP for the Webshare, if you upgrade the Java version there is a (very small and unlikely) chance that it could cause issues with the webshare. Is there a reason you want to upgrade?

Thanks. The reason I started on this path to update Java was that I'm planning on running the SageTV Media Center WHS plugin on the MSS to stream movies to a SageTV extender. The recommendations from their forums is to use the latest releases of Java and it appears that is 1.6_u12, whereas what the MSS has is 1.4. The other thing that made me think this is a good idea is that when I went on Java's webpage and found the version in the MSS and Java says the version has reached the end of it's service life (see quote below from this web page of Sun Micro - Java). http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

The fact that is was no longer being updated made me wonder if it might also be good to update since it could present a security issue. My guess is it really is not a security problem to be exploited since the MSS's IE is not used for normal internet access-surfing.

Quote:
On October 30, 2008 J2SE 1.4.2 reached the end of its service life (EOSL). Customers interested in learning more about Sun's Java Technology Support and EOL policy »Read More

Customers interested in continuing to receive critical fixes, are encouraged to consider the following options:

Migrate to Java SE for Business 1.4.2 »Read More
Migrate to the latest Java SE release »Read More

I wonder if HP is going to have a recommended version of Java to upgrade to so that any functions they have tied to the older version will continue to work with an updated version? My guess is using Java JRE 6 Update 12 from this page will do the trick but not 100% sure. http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:52 am 
Founder
Founder

I would encourage you to only update if you have need of a newer version, which it sounds like you do for SageTV application. I doubt you'll experience any problems, just be prepared that you could lose Webshare functionality, and at worst need to perform a Server Recovery. Again, I think the likelihood of any issues is quite low.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:30 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have installed java 1.6_12 on my MSS in parallel to the original 1.4 version - needed it for Kroozbox (a HTML gateway to My Movies). After having trouble getting Kroozbox to work as a service I deinstalled the original version.
And yes, you get into trouble. First the HP update service does not work anymore. Than "jetty" - which HP is using as HTTP Servlet Server.

Got both to work, need to see what else might have issues.
Here's what I have done so far (via Remote console): Start in Control Panel the "System" app. There you need to look for the in the tab "Advanced" for the Enviromental Variables.
Change "Path" - from the old to the new java directory.
Change "JAVA_HOME" to the new java directory.

So far everything seems to work - but who knows.

Kfurter

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:35 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Have to say - NOT everything works. The Web-Photosharing does not. No idea where this application looks for Java, but despite any variable change and registry key correctness - it does not work.

Anybody any idea where this application has some config file or where it defines where Java is?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:03 pm 
Founder
Founder

I'm pretty sure it uses environment variables (at least it used to). If not, look for debug in the Jetty directory in the MediaSmart Server program files directory on the server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:07 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Kfurter wrote:
Have to say - NOT everything works. The Web-Photosharing does not. No idea where this application looks for Java, but despite any variable change and registry key correctness - it does not work.

Anybody any idea where this application has some config file or where it defines where Java is?

You may be interested in what I learned here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3605&start=15

I elected to just update the contents of the jre folder at the root of C. I don't know enough about jetty yet do otherwise.

The MSS has several l applications installed that have security vulnerabilities besides java. Eventually I intend to bring up another WHS that will serve as a box on which to experiment with updating things before I touch my live server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:53 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

This worked! Have now installed 1.6_12 (had to deinstall the original first), but used the "old" directory c:\jre1.4.2_13. And now new stuff works plus all the old one like jetty.

Thanks for the hint!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:33 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Are you still able to view photos on your photo webshare?

Not sure what I did different from you but it must be something if your photo webshare is still working. I just tried removing 1.4.2 leaving only 1.6 installed and copied to the C:\jre1.4.2_13 folder. When I did that I was unable to view photos on my webshare though all other remote access features worked. I reinstalled 1.4.2 and copied it to the jre1.4.2 folder and my photo webshare was back in business. Thus I am back to having both version 1.6 and 1.4.2 installed with eula.dll in the 1.4.2 folders replaced with the file from 1.6.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:57 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Yes, my photo webshare works. The issue might be that you did not install 1.6 into the 1.4 root folder, but only copied the files over. The install sets some registry entries - thus might create some issues if you just copy instead of install.

I did rename the orginal folder into 1.4.bak and then installed a fresh 1.6. into c:\jre1.4.2_13 (while you install you can tell 1.6 to install into somewhere else).

Kfurter

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:46 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Done that way seems to work for me also. Will need to verify from a remote location but looks good from home.

Maybe this should go in the wiki for updating java on the MSS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:23 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Actually I have found that the photo webshare is not fully functional with Java 1.6 installed this way. While pictures can be viewed I can't manage the albums visitors or groups.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:24 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

You are unfortunately right :-(

I will try to udpate jetty as well, maybe this helps - sometimes later this week.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:13 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Playing with Jetty.... the installed version 5 is not compatible with Java 1.6. (according to the jetty homepage). Max. would be Java 1.5.
Installed Jetty 6.1 (first version which works with Java 1.6.) - afterwards the complete web-access does not work. Would have been too easy - means Jetty is not upward compatible and the HP scripts therefore do not work :-(

Anyway, as I don't share Fotos it's good enough for the moment as the stuff I want to run (Video Juke box for Popcorn Hour device), runs now. Worst case I will install Java 1.4. again if I need to manage Fotos again.
It's really a shame that HP is using SOOOO old versions to develop and deliver their add-ons.

Kfurter

Thanks