It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:29 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Yeah I know that this is may seem silly but I am looking to buy the EX485 for the better hardware and faster processor and am willing to use the existing drives from my EX470. If this works I am expecting that I would just pull the drive from teh 470 and place it in the EX485 and reboot.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible and will work? I can then give my old EX470 to a friend and not have to reset it and he gets a bigger 750 drive.

Rich

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:42 pm 
Founder
Founder

Nope, that won't work. There's a very slim chance that you could install your old drives into the new server, immediately perform a Server Recovery using the new EX48x recovery disk, and end up with a functioning system. Please note that I have NOT tested this and am merely theorizing. If you try it please back up your data first, and then let us know if it works. :)

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
richone52
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:54 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
Nope, that won't work. There's a very slim chance that you could install your old drives into the new server, immediately perform a Server Recovery using the new EX48x recovery disk, and end up with a functioning system. Please note that I have NOT tested this and am merely theorizing. If you try it please back up your data first, and then let us know if it works. :)

Thanks! What would you suggest to get the data over as the best way. I wont worry about the backups as much as I also just built some new computers.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:04 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

You could use the procedure outlined in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3261 , either saving it all or editing it to eliminate the portion that saves the backups.

After saving the data I would DEFINITELY try to install the disks in the new server and execute the Server Recovery (NOT Factory Reset). Since both servers use the same WHS I suspect that will work fine. While I do not know anyone having done it from an EX47x to an EX48x I do know it has been done between a EX47x and a "home brew" (DIY) unit. Unlike Alex I will be very surprised if it fails...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:15 am 
Founder
Founder

So I should clarify what I said earlier. I don't expect this would cause a problem from the WHS perspective, in fact I agree with John that it would likely work quite well or I wouldn't have suggested it. The concern I have and the reason I encourage caution is that HP does some specific things to backup and restore their settings, registry keys, ini file, etc, that could conflict between the two server versions, and since I haven't tried it (yet) I do not know exactly what will happen in the restore scenario.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:13 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

richone52: Please let us know what your results were!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:21 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Well guys

I chickened out and just moved the data to some hard drives I had free. I agree that it should ahve worked but I decided that it was best to just do it the old fashioned way.

Rich

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:24 pm 
Founder
Founder

You should have tried it after you backed up your data to the other drives. :D

Dammit, I'm going to have to try this one of these days to see how well it works...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:28 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I just pulled the data drives from my MSS EX475 and put them in a DIY test system. Came up like a charm. Checked it out briefly and put the drives back in the MSS. No issues.

FYI, I only defined one user and no Add-Ins on the DIY system. The MSS was shut down beforehand and not powered on again until the disks were replaced so there were no hot-swaps.

I really do believe the "system" and the "data" are separate for these purposes, Alex, and I look forward to your test results!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks