It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Post mediasmart
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:13 pm 

I have to ask. What is the next closest thing to mediasmart now that it is discontinued? Custom builds with Microsoft server essentials?
Some are still out there but it's only a matter of time. I should have one on the way soon. The main reason I am buying one is to use with PlayOn software that I bought. Im still interested in other platforms but really I'm looking for the best way to get the late start episodes from the new shows.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Post mediasmart
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:18 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I believe I saw Western Digital has a win 2012E r2 server and I believe NetGear has one as well.
They are pricey, but, they are pre-made and ready to go.
Google windows NAS, might find a few.

I built a win2012E box, it is in the DIY thread. I will use it only when forced to.
Until then I have 2 copies of win2011 WHS that might get me a little longer and if all else fails I will switch to the win2012E box.

I believe we still have a few years left on whs V1, I'm going to run it till it won't run no more. :-)

Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
Thoth3g
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:03 am 

Yes, I notice that the WD Sentinel DX4200 is pretty pricey. I think that perhaps the performance could warrant that in some cases but for most of us, think we could just take a small desktop and install windows server on it and come out pretty good!(?) (very cheaply)
I'm getting in on the tail end of this. I will soon own the ex495. I think that will last for awhile and perhaps by then there will be a cost effective replacement.
Can anyone here recommend or refer for an indexer membership? (auto tv show downloads via usenet or torrent)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:55 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

You might have better luck posting that in the media streaming or software threads here....

I have heard of Plex and My Movies.
I use serivo for my sreaming, it is DLNA to my samsung tv and all the PC in the house. I do not use remote access.

You should still get some years out of that 490. Once you get setup you will want to get the free addin Smart to keep an eye on your harddrives and always make a "out of the server" backup of the data you can't lose.

We'll be here if you need any help.
Good Luck

P.S. I just ordered two E5800 cpu on ebay, they make for a great upgrade on the 490, they run cooler and faster then stock. :-)

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks