It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:19 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Found your site when I was researching the HP Media Servers when they were released. I just got mine this week.

Hehehe, what do you think, 3 years: 1 month: 6 days between my registration and my first post lol

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:21 pm 
Founder
Founder

Spud387 wrote:
Found your site when I was researching the HP Media Servers when they were released. I just got mine this week.

Hehehe, what do you think, 3 years: 1 month: 6 days between my registration and my first post lol

Nice! You were member #36 to sign up. :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:49 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I have been a lurker here for some time, patiently waiting for HP/MS to bring out that great machine: Vail, USB3, larger drive support, etc. Alas. So, I have bought an EX495 and have yet to hook it up. It looks like everyone here is very patient with the unwashed so I will be asking some basic questions before I hook up. Already read all the wikis and have committed about 10 of them to PDF.

Kubla Khan

Escient Fireball MX111
Puget Silent Tower (Win 7 Pro), Sony All-In-One (Vista), Sony Laptop (XP)
1 Seagate Goflex Desk 3TB USB3
1 Buffalo 1TB
1 Seagate 750 Gig

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:14 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
Spud387 wrote:

Nice! You were member #36 to sign up. :)

daaaaaamn Ultimate Lurker status here :D

Just got my EX495 all set up. Installed a whack of Add-Ins.

I also configured PS3 Media Server as a service and can now stream HD .mkv videos to my PS3 :D :D soooo happy

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:07 am 

long time "guest" lurker here... now official member. I currently have a home built WHS that has been running for 3+ years without issue. Now that HP is dropping their line, I decided that I had to get one before they were gone. Initial cost of ownership kept me from buying one before. I was trying to figure out a way to afford the ex495, so I decided to come back to this site to research my options. Found all the topics about upgrading the memory / processor on the ex490. I also discovered that the "guts" of the 490 and 495 were the same. Now I had my way to afford the HP HMS... buy the ex490 and upgrade! Using another forum topic, discovered that newegg had this server at a great price. With skoal74's mention of "promo code CELEBRATE10 and you get another 10% off", the purchase was made. I decided against any additional warranties because once I verify that my ex490 works properly, I'll be upgrading the processor and memory (killing off any warranty that I have left). My current WHS is used to backup my laptop as well as serve as a media server for movies, music and streaming video to my iPhone via Air Video Server. (I realize that initially, the celeron processor will not be able to handle the streaming of media, but I can live with that for now). My laptop is on its last legs, so I need to convert my DIY WMS back into a desktop computer, hence the "need" for the ex490. My ex490 will arrive sometime this week, then the fun begins...

:D

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank wranglerunlimited04 for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:37 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

wranglerunlimited04 wrote:
long time "guest" lurker here... now official member. I currently have a home built WHS that has been running for 3+ years without issue. Now that HP is dropping their line, I decided that I had to get one before they were gone. Initial cost of ownership kept me from buying one before. I was trying to figure out a way to afford the ex495, so I decided to come back to this site to research my options. Found all the topics about upgrading the memory / processor on the ex490. I also discovered that the "guts" of the 490 and 495 were the same. Now I had my way to afford the HP HMS... buy the ex490 and upgrade! Using another forum topic, discovered that newegg had this server at a great price. With skoal74's mention of "promo code CELEBRATE10 and you get another 10% off", the purchase was made. I decided against any additional warranties because once I verify that my ex490 works properly, I'll be upgrading the processor and memory (killing off any warranty that I have left). My current WHS is used to backup my laptop as well as serve as a media server for movies, music and streaming video to my iPhone via Air Video Server. (I realize that initially, the celeron processor will not be able to handle the streaming of media, but I can live with that for now). My laptop is on its last legs, so I need to convert my DIY WMS back into a desktop computer, hence the "need" for the ex490. My ex490 will arrive sometime this week, then the fun begins...

:D

Wrangler--

Welcome aboard! You might be surprised at how well the 490 chip handles streaming. I routinely stream DVD rips and use AirVideo without issues and I'm running an EX475! Regardless, you'll find great info about the MSS here...

Jim

1 2.0TB Barracuda® XT 7200 rpm drive
2 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda® XT SATA 7200 rpm drives
1 0.5TB stock drive shipped with MSS
Running HP 3.0 updated software

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:06 am 

Hi Alex, i am Malaysian using Acer Aspire EasyStore H342 with pre install WHS, want to share your excelent experience in working with whs. I was installed whsphpinstaller ver 1.04 and MySql installer for whs ver 0.0.9. its work fine but some my php web database not working properly. i think need to update php from ver 5.2.6 to ver 5.35.

Sorr,y forget to tell you that i found this forum at goggle search while search for whs add in. tq all.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:36 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Been a member here since July 2008, but only just purchased a WHS !!

I've bought the X510 (1Tb) system (from DABS), and I am in the progress of migrating my files from my Cisco NMH300 NAS.

Reads lots in the last week, and loads more to read, and learn about a WHS :shock:

Need to find out what else the WHS can do other than being just a (larger) NAS :oops:

There doesn't seems to be a specific X510 forums, so should I just lump questions into the EX490/5 forum ??

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:23 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Cbers--

Welcome. You'll find this site invaluable!

As a new member, I suggest looking through the add-in listings at:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/add-ins/

These are some of the best add-ins out there to extend your new MSS. You'll see pretty quickly that you can do more with WHS than just storage!

Jim

1 2.0TB Barracuda® XT 7200 rpm drive
2 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda® XT SATA 7200 rpm drives
1 0.5TB stock drive shipped with MSS
Running HP 3.0 updated software

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:27 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks Jim - just been reading though them and have just install Add-In Central !!

I'm now looking at the WHS Outlook Add-in!!

Lots to learn, and hopefully I can do stuff that I couldn't before with just a PC and a NAS device.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:59 am 
Founder
Founder

CBers wrote:
There doesn't seems to be a specific X510 forums, so should I just lump questions into the EX490/5 forum ??

Welcome, glad to have you! There is a Data Vault specific forum, however since the X510 is so similar to the EX49x there is obviously overlap.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:12 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

CBers wrote:
I'm now looking at the WHS Outlook Add-in!!

That didn't do what I thought it did, plus it's a chargeable add-in !!

yakuza wrote:
There is a Data Vault specific forum, however since the X510 is so similar to the EX49x there is obviously overlap.

Thanks, I'll use that forum if/when I have any questions.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:39 am 

I found this forum just over a year ago, and have been merely a lurker until this morning, when I finally registered here (better late than never...). I had been having client connector issues since the latest rollup package was delivered to my WHS. When I saw another user here having what appears to be the same issue I had, I needed to register to be able to post the solution that worked for me. Therefore, I registered.

This forum is excellent. I have learned so much about WHS from reading the posts here (people here really know their sh.., I mean stuff!) :mrgreen: This site is an absolute must for anyone who uses WHS. Thank you to yakuza and all of the contributors here for all of the great information, which makes this forum so incredible!

I run an HP Mediasmart 495x with 3 Win7 clients, and one MAC client. I haven't figured out what I am going to do for the future yet, with the horrible news that MS has discontinued drive extender, and HP is getting out the WHS market. For now, I am content with my HP 495x, and just pray that the internals of that box live for a very long time!

Cheers,
Ed

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:45 am 
Founder
Founder

Welcome Ed, I love hearing when "lurkers" finally sign up and what motivates them to do so. :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:21 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Another lurker (though not so long) who finally signed up so I could post some questions about my upcoming build project (psst, still looking for some answers :) ). I wound up over here after reading a number of Damian's posts on AVSforum about various subjects.

I started with an HP470 in 2009, added a 4 disc esata enclosure last year (filled with 2tb drives), and started reaching the limits of that setup a couple of months ago. When the 8 bay Sans Digital USB enclosures became scarce (Newegg has deactivated them now) and Vail took its ugly turn into a meaningless release (for me), I decided to build my own new server. My WHS is primarily a videoserver, as my disc library (dvd, hd-dvd and bd) is somewhere north of 1700 discs, and I want to sell off my Sony changers and go "discless". To do so means I'll wind up with a server the size of aaronwt's or chasrobin's.

I've learned a great deal from everyone on here, and hope that I can return the favor in some way down the road. BTW, I'm not an IT professional, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

Norco 4220, Supermicro board/SAS cards, 4GB ram, WHS 2011, Stablebit DrivePool, 64tb storage (production)

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next