It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:54 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Found the site through Google like so many others. Saw the great help in the troubleshooting section and took a chance at a post. Great site.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:53 pm 

Just dropping in to introduce myself and say hi! Like many others, I happened to find this forum through Google while originally looking for NAS units that were compatible with the PS3. After discovered the HP Mediasmart, I started to think on a larger scale about integrating my media to the rest of the PCs in the house. After lurking for a few days, I ended up purchasing a Ex470 and should have it here by Tuesday. I'm really looking forward to it as I am a complete rookie when it comes to servers and WHS. As a result, I'm definitely looking forward to reaping the wealth of knowledge contained in this forum as everyone seems to be extremely polite and very helpful! Glad to have found the forum and hope to be a part of the exchange in the very near future!

:google:

-Tim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:18 pm 

I actually found this site from a post on the Apple discussion forums:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.js ... 42#6845642

The original poster was asking if it was possible to stream from the HP MediaSmart Server to AppleTV. One of the replies pointed to a very helpful thread on this forum:

viewtopic.php?t=715

Anyway, this site was instrumental for my decision to get a new EX485. I've successfully installed iTunes on it and it streams to my AppleTV!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:55 pm 

I was looking at purchasing the MediaSmart Server and found this while researching things. Thanks for all the great work and all the valuable information.

Chuck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:51 am 

Googled :google:
(for remote access problems which is yet to be solved ](*,) )

I've been planning to buy a NAS or a home server for quite a while but it became urgent in the past few weeks after I got my new Nikon D700 and started shooting thousands of photos in RAW !
After due research, I went for 487X 3TB HPMSS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:00 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Welcome aboard iQi, from a fellow Nikon (D200) shooter with one or two .NEF files to manage as well...I chose the EX 485, populated the center two bays with WD 1TB Green drives, and added a Seagate 1.5 TB in the top bay, which serves as a server backup...for now...then again, my wife and I will be heading up to the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire in May to chase a waterfall or two, so my backup drive may well be added to the pool...

But it's a great method for managing your photos, as well as centralizing all those Photoshop resources from Graphic Authority and others, so you can edit from anywhere on your LAN!

Summertime....backyard patio....ice cold adult beverage ( :beer: ) beside you, Photoshop / Lightroom on the laptop, and all the stored files and resources just whizzing through the air (maybe the files might even knock down a mosquito or two on the way?...nahhh, too many beverages if that happens!!! :beerme: )

Anita and Bob's Website - http://anitabob.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:14 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
So, if you're a new member who signed up in the last week or two, let us know where and how you found this site and why you decided to join.

Not sure where I first found this site, if it was Google or a link from one of the other WHS-oriented sites. I started looking around for info on the WHS after getting one of my regular weekly spam e-mails from HP, one that just happened to feature the MediaSmart Server. Having been using an old P4 2.4ghz running XP2 as a "server" to centrally store my iTunes library, and worrying about my lack of a safe and consistent backup plan for my mountains of family photos, videos, etc., I thought "WHS looks like the answer." So I added a SATA card and a couple TB of new disk to the old Dell, installed WHS, and I've been off to the races.

This site has been absolutely invaluable as I've been researching how to get this thing up and running, what works, what doesn't, which add-ins to use, etc. I've found the media streaming subjects especially helpful, as that's now my next big project - DVD backup/streaming.

Thanks for all the great info. :)

2 GB RAM
19.25 TB Storage

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:08 am 

Hello All,
I came across this site from Google as well.
I had been reading the posts for a couple months while researching the EX485.
I purchased the 485 a couple weeks ago and figured I would register now to start participating in the community.

-Tom

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:49 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

tomwillwerth wrote:
Hello All,
I came across this site from Google as well.
I had been reading the posts for a couple months while researching the EX485.
I purchased the 485 a couple weeks ago and figured I would register now to start participating in the community.

-Tom

Welcome, Tom, to the World of WHS/MSS! It's good to have you aboard!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:13 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I came across the site through Google.
I have good experience in servers such as SUN soliers,HP UNIX and AS 400 , I worked in one of biggest Data Center
in middle east (Aramco company) .

I hope be able to share with every body my experience and take yours.

Thanks .

Raed ..

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:18 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Like so many others, I found this site using Google while researching mediasmart server.

I have a couple of PC's at home and an iMac so having the MediaSmart server especially with the support for time machine was the final straw in convincing me to get it.

There's a lot of information shared by so many users and will try to contribute what ever I know to the forum. Thanks!

Cris

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:26 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

tops911 wrote:
I have good experience in servers such as SUN soliers,HP UNIX and AS 400 , I worked in one of biggest Data Center

Thanks .

Raed ..

Hello Raed,
I welcomed you in another post but I wanted to add my welcome here. We are happy you are here and I am sure we will be able to benefit from your general server knowledge in the future. Please do let us know how your new MediaSmart Server (replacement) from HP works out for you. I hope it works well and you enjoy it as well as visiting us on this forum. Glad you are here! :mss:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank SeaRay33 for this post
tops911
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:42 pm 

Thanks to all for sharing. I came upon this site looking at NAS devices on Google. I have not yet taken the plunge but plan on doing so very soon.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:22 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

SeaRay33 wrote:
tops911 wrote:

Thanks .

Raed ..

Hello Raed,
I welcomed you in another post but I wanted to add my welcome here. We are happy you are here and I am sure we will be able to benefit from your general server knowledge in the future. Please do let us know how your new MediaSmart Server (replacement) from HP works out for you. I hope it works well and you enjoy it as well as visiting us on this forum. Glad you are here! :mss:

George .. thanks for welcoming me again ..this give me motivation ..to write my experience with servers ..
such as controlling temperature,best way to back up and some skills .. etc .. Actually I was preparing a small project that help every body to reduce CPU temperature but I am waiting My machine to apply it and test it then take same photos to post it here ..with all details .

but for now I can't do any thing bez my MMS not with me still with HP support . #-o

I am working now in small project on WD MYBOOK 2TB also in reducing temperature ...
and thank god after all .. It's works very good I reach WD Tem. from 54 to 31 C ...

Also , I hope language differents do not stop me any time when I wan write some deep things.
You now it's not my language (mother tongue)
but I will do my best .. :TR4M: for these forums ...bez I take a lot knowledge from them ...

Thanks ...

Raed ..

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:04 pm 

Found this site through Google, I've been browsing the internet looking through reviews, ideas, tips to make the best out of my EX485 server. I'm enjoying it to the max!!! I'm mostly enjoying the photo publisher and backups and my hubby streaming music from our laptops, work or PS3. It's perfect ;-)

Mimi

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next