It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:00 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Interesting... How did you check "previous ownership"?? Did not know that could be done!

Welcome to the World of MSS/WHS!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:22 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
Interesting... How did you check "previous ownership"?? Did not know that could be done!

Welcome to the World of MSS/WHS!

Thank you!
I work for HP/Compaq so I was able to take my SN into work and check it out.

:D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:28 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Ahhhhhh....!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:14 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hello all,

Unsurprisingly my name is Cliff. I have had this site bookmarked for a year or so and it has been one of my pre-sales information resources for the HP server. My storage needs have been growing for a while and reached a point where I had to make a decision on how I would solve them. I have an EX490 coming tomorrow along with another 1.5TB drive. My need for information becomes a bit more acute with the impending arrival of the server, so I joined the forums today.

I will be using the server to run iTunes in a console session to serve up around 600GB of h.264 files to an Apple TV. I have a 300GB library of photographs that I want to duplicate on network available storage. I also want to use the server to host Time Machine backups for my 2 Macs - an 8-core Nehalem Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro laptop. Finally, my Mac Pro has been wearing a file server hat for the last year, and I want to let it sleep more - it's a fairly power hungry box.

I am a temporarily retired corporate software developer (business intelligence with an emphasis on ETL development and database tuning) so I am technically fluent.

Cheers,
Cliff

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:03 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Welcome to the World of MSS/WHS, Cliff! Great that you have become a member and, hopefully, a contributer, and no longer just a lurker! (But they're OK, too!)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:46 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hello!

My name is Scott and I received my first server (MediaSmart EX495) this week. Finding sites like this and reading about others experiences definitely helped convince me to try a home server in general (and an HP Media Smart specifically).

This all started a few months ago when I decided to look into buying a cheap NAS to replace my "carry a USB harddrive around the house" approach to media sharing. I then discovered this thing called "Windows Home Server", which sounded cool, except that with my wife and I expecting our first child in <*checks calendar*> 5 weeks, I figured I wouldn't have much time to put something together myself. Then I discovered that companies made pre-setup home servers...Perfect! Somehow my original idea of spending less then $200 on a NAS warped into an EX495 sitting on my front step. :D

It's partially setup, not quite fully where I want it yet (due to lack of time to fiddle on my part), but I'm definitely enjoy it, and reading a ton on this and other sites. I was very glad to find this kind of community, getting started on a brand new OS/computer/way of handling my home network would have been daunting without these kinds of resources.

Cheers,
Scott

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:46 am 

OmniWrench wrote:
Hello!

My name is Scott and I received my first server (MediaSmart EX495) this week. Finding sites like this and reading about others experiences definitely helped convince me to try a home server in general (and an HP Media Smart specifically).

This all started a few months ago when I decided to look into buying a cheap NAS to replace my "carry a USB harddrive around the house" approach to media sharing. I then discovered this thing called "Windows Home Server", which sounded cool, except that with my wife and I expecting our first child in <*checks calendar*> 5 weeks, I figured I wouldn't have much time to put something together myself. Then I discovered that companies made pre-setup home servers...Perfect! Somehow my original idea of spending less then $200 on a NAS warped into an EX495 sitting on my front step. :D

It's partially setup, not quite fully where I want it yet (due to lack of time to fiddle on my part), but I'm definitely enjoy it, and reading a ton on this and other sites. I was very glad to find this kind of community, getting started on a brand new OS/computer/way of handling my home network would have been daunting without these kinds of resources.

Cheers,
Scott

Welcome to the dysfunction family Scott :mrgreen: :mss: As you get everything set up don't hesitate to ask any questions, whether EX49x related, WHS, Media Streaming, etc... we are here to help.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:34 am 

Hi,

I've just bought a EX495, and I am a happy camper. Remote Login, streams video to my ps3 using ps3mediaserver, my family can access my photos at their homes and uTorrent is running fine... Life us good (so far)

I came across this site while searching for addins.

Um Abraço, as we say here in Brazil.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:39 am 

Marcelo wrote:
Hi,

I've just bought a EX495, and I am a happy camper. Remote Login, streams video to my ps3 using ps3mediaserver, my family can access my photos at their homes and uTorrent is running fine... Life us good (so far)

I came across this site while searching for addins.

Um Abraço, as we say here in Brazil.

Fron the US to Brazil, welcome aboard to the family :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:45 am 

Hello all,
I had been looking at WHS since the first mediasmart servers hit the stores. I finally made the jump in. I have an ex490 already added 2tb to it. Thanks for the site it has been extremely helpful getting up and running. My main purpose for wanting a server was to consolidate my music, pictures, and video that was strewn throughout 2 laptops, 3 desktops and 5 usb HDs LOL. I found your site through Google!!! Thanks again..

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:12 am 

SteveP wrote:
Hello all,
I had been looking at WHS since the first mediasmart servers hit the stores. I finally made the jump in. I have an ex490 already added 2tb to it. Thanks for the site it has been extremely helpful getting up and running. My main purpose for wanting a server was to consolidate my music, pictures, and video that was strewn throughout 2 laptops, 3 desktops and 5 usb HDs LOL. I found your site through Google!!! Thanks again..

Mr P - welcome to the gang, don't hesitate to ask any questions as you get everything set up :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:07 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Cliff wrote:
Hello all,

Unsurprisingly my name is Cliff. I have had this site bookmarked for a year or so and it has been one of my pre-sales information resources for the HP server. My storage needs have been growing for a while and reached a point where I had to make a decision on how I would solve them. I have an EX490 coming tomorrow along with another 1.5TB drive. My need for information becomes a bit more acute with the impending arrival of the server, so I joined the forums today.

I will be using the server to run iTunes in a console session to serve up around 600GB of h.264 files to an Apple TV. I have a 300GB library of photographs that I want to duplicate on network available storage. I also want to use the server to host Time Machine backups for my 2 Macs - an 8-core Nehalem Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro laptop. Finally, my Mac Pro has been wearing a file server hat for the last year, and I want to let it sleep more - it's a fairly power hungry box.

I am a temporarily retired corporate software developer (business intelligence with an emphasis on ETL development and database tuning) so I am technically fluent.

Cheers,
Cliff

Hi Cliff,

Check out my post on the apple tv and whs. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6489

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:26 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

nippyjun wrote:
Hi Cliff,

Check out my post on the apple tv and whs. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6489

I read it shortly after you posted it. I have previously installed the atvusb-patchstick on my AppleTV, although it is not presently installed. If I went the patchstick route, I would have focused on activating the USB port in the AppleTV via NitoTV and I would not have purchased the MHS. I am not unhappy with iTunes, so running that (currently 9.02, which I installed yesterday) on the MHS and streaming content to my AppleTV that way is fine by me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:08 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi, as my trusty HP dc7100 server-pc died of a massive NB thermal stroke due to the northbridgecooler clamp popping loose from the pcb I was faced with the difficult descision to get either a second hand replacement for this machine of 80 euro or spend about 6 times over for a new ex490.
Having an own bussiness, however small, comes with an responsibility for proper data safety so guess what side the euro fell.. :encore:

Soon I ran into the now know issues with the restore cm and TFTPD but being able to rely on my handson maritime strengthned network skills and being a software dev team lead I got it all working again.

I will run ESET's v4 antivirus as protection and will be telling you how that went later on.

From the Netherlands the best regards. :beerme:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:55 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hello.

I was surfing around for information on windows home servers and ran across mswhs.com and a there link to this site. I'm still reading up here and there is so much great info here, you guys are awesome.

I'm a new father and with lots of HD video, photos, and other files piling up between my wife's laptop and my computer. I'm looking for a more effective way to back that data up and share that data instead of our current backup plan that just amounts slowly copying hundreds of gigs of data to an external USB drive "every once in a while."

I'm seriously considering something like the HP EX490 but still trying to get the lay of the land on how I'd implement it before I make a purchase. The biggest obstacle is that I use Adobe Lighroom for my photos and that is not a sharing friendly application. I'll likely just have to settle for a different method of dealing with that, but for sharing videos, photos, and backups the WHS looks great. It is a product I'd been wondering when they'd come up with for ages now.

My work actually involves large SANs and disaster recovery solutions for what are usually large companies. Perhaps rack mounting an EX490 might be a bit much? :-k

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next