It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:57 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
I had another thought - I bet a lot of new people are joining because they snapped up the MSS on one of the recent big sales.

Yep. Should be arriving soon :)

As to where I found this site ... I'm actually not sure. I've been doing so much searching for info in the last week, it's a bit of a blur. I suspect it was either via HomeServerHacks (which I found first), or simply via google.

BTW - This site is fantastic!!! :mss:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:06 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I recently picked up a MSS online from HP about 2 months ago. I got it for $391 using a coupon plus they were having a sale. I have been a member of this forum for awhile before i purchased my MSS. I mainly used it for research and just enjoyed reading about how everyone liked the MSS. My friend pointed me to this website after he had purchased a MSS. I would say it might have been about a year ago?

I just want to say thanks to everyone on this forum. Just by reading through and searching, I was able to solve some very small issues i was having after i got mine up and running. Also my buddy who had one for over a year was very helpful in guiding me in the right direction.

I plan on doing the memory upgraded to it in the next few months. And again thanks to this forum there is a step by step procedure on how to do it :D

I only wish i would have waited a little longer since they are now going to release a new MSS <shrug>. Oh well, I am sure i will continue to enjoy mine :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:24 pm 
Founder
Founder

Welcome to the forums, Scott, and glad the site has been a good resource for you. :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:33 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I found this forum via a link on HP's site, after I had purchased my 470 last month.
Joining seemed like a natural, being new to the hardware and to WHS, and the obvious wealth of information to be found here.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:07 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Welcome! Glad you are finding it useful!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:45 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

My Story is kind of weird. I was looking for a large storage solution for all my Blu Ray Movies and DVD's. I came across unRaid. Its a technology that basically is new but in which one drive in the raid can go bad and you just replace it and the sytem repopulates the data. If 2 drives dies you only loose data from those 2. Anyway I ordered a $1600 server with 15 bays and when I got it I put in 4 1.5 TB drives and hit the power button well nothing happened. The server never managed to start so it went back. I was originally nervous since this is UNIX based technology and the command lines to run this thing are scary.

Anyway I decided to switch to something easier and I found HP Mediasmart. I ordered the EX470 and the Ram and new Chip will have it by the weekend. And thanks to all the great info here I should have no problem getting up and running. I'm planning to return the 4 1.5 TB drives to Newegg and wait for the 2TB drives that are supposed to come out soon. Gald to be here and thankfull for all the help.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:02 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Trusty Google got me here initially.

Then, I read the profile of the founder Yakuza and his knowledge of the MSS, and how much input, solving, feedback, and discussion that he participates in is what made me stay.

I know that I'm not getting the true potential out of my EX470, and knew that I would have a ton of questions. There are bigger forums out there, but none with a nicer group of people.

So far, I've upgraded to the LE-1640, 2G G.Skill Ram and adjusted the paging file. What a difference $65.00 in upgrades makes.

Thanks for all of the help. It's a great place to learn and share.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:19 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

HI Folks. Newb here. I ran across this forum in the link provided and found while reading Alex's review of the HP EX-487. I was surfing for a WHS since I just built a new computer, and was initially just looking for backup options, since I, (yep), lost data in a recent HD crash. Then I got wind of the home server / net storage idea, and was hooked. Funny how those things ignite the bug in ya!

I have a simple wireless network at home with two laptops connected, and my new desktop as the host so to speak. I'm new to home server integration and will be posting some questions on another topic page, when I sort out the right one to ask in. And may post a pic of my new homebuilt Intel i7 based joy, built on an Asus P6T mobo inside a Thermaltake tower, and 6 Gb of Corsair ram.

I joined this forum mostly due to the knowledge Alex brings to the table regarding the MSS units.

I like gadgets that have blue led's is what got me going don the path of the HP unit, and by digging deeper, seems like the server to get.

Hello again everyone, and look forward to learning as much as I can in here!

Mike

Asus Xonar D2 audio
6Gb Corsair Ram
Corsair 1K watt PSU
300 Gb Velociraptor
1 Tb WD green
Vista Ult. 64

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:27 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

as you can figure out in my posts I was searching to solve some issues...

So I've found that forum via Google and got answers who solved my issues. That's what I "love" in such a forum!

Thanks
Wonko

post script: And that's why I suggested other people to use that forum.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:45 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have a desktop and laptop that are painful to keep in synch. I also have a wireless network that I want to use to stream music and DVDs to my home theater.

I got an email from Linksys about their new MediaHub and the solution looked good, so I did some research and found the MSS which looks like a better (and proven) solution. Somewhere in the huge number of web pages I have looked at, I found the link to get here and I have been spending time trying to wrap my head around all of this new world. Great community! :D

Before too long, I will need to pepper the good souls here with MSS related questions (looks like I also have a Popcorn Hour A-110 in my future) to get me set up. Fortunately, it looks like patience and understanding are a couple of the attributes residing here!

Today I read some discussions about 470 vs. 485. I am leaning strongly at the 485. A bit more expensive, but ready to go and all the good stuff doesn't need to be upgraded (The eSATA thing isn't a big concern to me).

Anyhow, glad to be here!

Ray

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:14 pm 

Ray3 wrote:
I have a desktop and laptop that are painful to keep in synch. I also have a wireless network that I want to use to stream music and DVDs to my home theater.

I got an email from Linksys about their new MediaHub and the solution looked good, so I did some research and found the MSS which looks like a better (and proven) solution. Somewhere in the huge number of web pages I have looked at, I found the link to get here and I have been spending time trying to wrap my head around all of this new world. Great community! :D

Before too long, I will need to pepper the good souls here with MSS related questions (looks like I also have a Popcorn Hour A-110 in my future) to get me set up. Fortunately, it looks like patience and understanding are a couple of the attributes residing here!

Today I read some discussions about 470 vs. 485. I am leaning strongly at the 485. A bit more expensive, but ready to go and all the good stuff doesn't need to be upgraded (The eSATA thing isn't a big concern to me).

Anyhow, glad to be here!

Ray

Nice to meet you Ray. Now pull the trigger on the 485 and lets get to work!!! :mss:

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:28 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Damian,

Thanks for the welcome (and the offer of help!). :lol:

This whole thing would be easier if I had better computer skills.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:01 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Ray3 wrote:

Anyhow, glad to be here!

Ray

Welcome aboard matey. Argh!!! :beerme:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:43 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

After hearing about the ex485/ex487 impending release and with MAC support I decided to go head and order one. Which is were I am today waiting for the call from HP saying I can order one. I have gone ahead and purchase 2 x 1.5 tb drives. I found this site searching for information on the new units. I have spend some time reading the forums and found a great tutorial on setting up iTunes on the server which I plan to do. I needed a new solution as my aging PowerMac.

Corey from Dallas, TX

Proud owner of a EX485 with 2 x 1.5 TB drives, 750 GB Drive, and 1 TB Drive

Mixed house of Windows XP, Vista and Mac OS X, Apple TV streaming from MediaSmart Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:15 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I also joined during the last two days when I ordered an EX485 (from Amazon) and started searching for information about it. I've been reading and planning full speed, I dont remember much about the chronological order of things. I think I found the site through a post in the "not-so-exclusively-MSS-dedicated" UK site. This seems to be a better place to get MSS related information. Thanks for all the hard work!

Last edited by tenderidol on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next