It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:47 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

mike1812 wrote:
BTW, I'm not an IT professional, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

I can relate. I'm an accountant!

Welcome to the forums. I guarantee that you'll learn plenty from this crowd! If you can't find an answer on the wiki or the forums, just ask. We'll be glad to help you out!

Jim

1 2.0TB Barracuda® XT 7200 rpm drive
2 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda® XT SATA 7200 rpm drives
1 0.5TB stock drive shipped with MSS
Running HP 3.0 updated software

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:16 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Too funny - so am I, though I'm in internal audit now, not really using the CPA license!

Norco 4220, Supermicro board/SAS cards, 4GB ram, WHS 2011, Stablebit DrivePool, 64tb storage (production)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:44 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I just joined a few weeks ago... Love my MSS. been a Lurker for a loong time. Hopeing to get mine sold now. Thanks for the information on how to upgrade it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:46 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

So anyways... i'm new member, been a lurker for years. Got into the MSS when the EX70 came out, and this forum has been a big help along the ride. just posting to say thanks. And my EX470 is now up for sale.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:40 pm 

Hi Everybody,

My name is Kimberly and found this forum really by chance. I was googling about streaming videos or something and came across this forum. Glad I did - found a lot of useful info. I'm also a CPA but do more finance these days rather than accounting. So much of what I do at work and in life centers around the PC - so its interesting going through the threads here.

Kimberly

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:56 pm 

Hi kh5264 Welcome to the forums!!!

Streaming video is addictive and Damian has a ton to articles on this site on that subject. I stream my media both on my network and over the interent using SubSonic and ORB. I obviously run these from my server but these can be installed on a PC. Sometimes when I am stuck on a computer at work I will access my music to play it while I am working. Although I do have an mp3 player why carry that around when you can access you music on the internet using a PC and even some cell phones.

Its a wonderful time we live in for sure and we have more options then ever before for streaming out media. My server has basically replaced a couple 400 Disk CD and DVD player and an mp3. All my music and videos are ripped and stored on the server for easy access and the original disks live safely in their cases. With all the kids gone now they are even safer then before.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:52 am 

Warm regards + dire warnings + profound apologies + sincere thanks & gratitude = no regrets!

Greetings and I’m finally here! You will have to be the judge of what that means… to me, it’s another step in my journey, bringing me closer to an idea/revelation I had some time ago. So for me, this is nothing but a win-win situation… (not the Charlie Sheen kind!) You’ll find out who to blame for this soon. How’d I get here? It starts with one word… digital. That took a giant leap with the brilliant (most would argue obvious) idea/revelation I had quite some time ago. Hate to admit it, but only got a PC (as a gift) Christmas 1999… had 6 Gb hard drive, big at the time. Had dial up internet till September 2007. Learned just enough about a computer to realize that more can be better (for a price). I also observed upgrades never cease. It was clear any “build from scratch” computer would out perform and out last a run of the mill, big-box package type computer, (produced by the thousands), and would do so at a competitive price… If you know what you are doing! I knew just enough… enough to be dangerous! I knew what I wanted… my “minimum requirements”. That’s when the nice people at CompUSA came to the rescue. (I hear the groans… they gave me a few too.) But I did end up with a nice new desktop PC, which I still am using to this day. (Although they did the build, I just told them what I wanted.)
Next step on this journey here came from an addiction. Both for me and my wife… photography. (Our ten day honeymoon to Grand Cayman/Orlando Florida…54 rolls of film shot, 38 of them 36 exposure! Addiction is the correct word!) The cost savings of not paying for developing every picture taken, the freedom to shoot as much as you could want to, the ability to “play” with exposure, depth of field, all that fun stuff… not to even mention the digital “magic” (Photoshop) available… slam dunk. Averaging close to 15,000 pictures a year. Hard drive space? Got more than enough. Backed up? Covered… 2nd hard drive in desktop, and for good measure the photo’s are burned to a DVD (at the beginning, CD). But I’m sorry, we aren’t here yet. Few more steps, right this way…
It is hard not to notice how fast things change. New today, obsolete tomorrow. “Future proofing”, (what I want) will soon be joining all the other oxymorons (military intelligence, dope initiative…), of this, I have no doubt. Makes people want to sit on the fence till things “shake themselves out”. In some ways, I too, am guilty of this. (But I have also learned, sitting on fences can make you a pain in the you-know-what.) I mention that now, only because it delayed completing the subsequent steps. That, plus my brilliant flash of insight, that idea/revelation I had that… everything can get connected! But wait, not here yet! Time for another detour…
Long story short? (hey, I’m tryin’!) Lots of research while upgrading fence sitting to an art form. I’m talking professional status here. My stereo system – 24 years old. The TV – 22 years old (did not even have a S-video cable input, but it’s a Trinitron, and the picture is/was still great, even if not HD). It was past time to upgrade, (as I would eventually have to), if I want to realize everything being connected. So I started with the TV, scouring the bowels of the internet for what ever I could find. Serious research time that also allowed the products time to get better, and to include the connectivity I desired. My audio/video quest… now you know the origins of my name! That journey has been long, so very long. I’m talking years. And the photography didn’t slow down. Memory does have limits. Time to throw in a 1Tb USB external drive, exclusively used for photos. And I do get lucky some times. All that research confirming my idea with my occasional brush with of something called N.A.S. It was time. I had to start making this my reality, but where to begin?
If you haven’t figured it out yet, (I have been known to fly by the seat of my pants on occasion.) I really don’t know what I’m doing! I’m just making this up as I go! I do make a good decision on rare occasions too. With my limited knowledge of anything “network” I took the plunge. Didn’t really consider wireless or not… figured “quality” would be best acquired with a wired network. Big breakthrough when I could not find any wired network stuff, did not realized they don’t advertise/sell wired network stuff, you just turn off the wireless. Now the possibilities had grown exponentially… except not much on storage with streaming audio/video, where I knew I would eventually head. Very few products, allot not worth considering due to limitations each had. Did I mention my luck? Literally fell on an unbelievable deal on one of the most impressive and complete pieces of equipment I had read about. The EX495 was at a smoking hot price from an authorized vendor, and HP matched the price. I pulled the trigger. (Four days later, HP had an even better sales price, I called and they gave me a refund for the difference.) I received this bad boy on April 8th… 2010! That’s right, it’s a year old. (You may have guessed by now that I routinely start out kind of slow, but then I fizzle out altogether!)
The thing is, I’ve been on this “A/V Quest”. My research did not stop. Found a router I thought would serve me best at the time (Netgear WNDR 3700), hooked up the server (with an additional 2 Tb drive) and have been backing up my PC since then. I regret to admit that is as far as I have taken it. All that research time in terms of audio/video gear… I desperately wanted to join the big screen/flat panel HD/Blu ray crowds. And I found a constant source of “crack” for this research addiction I had developed. The source of all that high quality “crack” was AVSForums. You know the rest… searched that site one day for my “new toy” and stumbled across “dbone”… sorry Damian, your busted!
So where have I been for the last year? Well, all that research I’ve done has helped me find/purchase the TV I so desperately desired (Sony 52’ Hx 909) just before Halloween. That took most of the (financial) wind out of my quest for audio nirvana I was searching for. Extensive music collection (nothing mp3… yet) But again, this research paid off, and I also picked up a “entrée level” network 7.2 AVR just after Christmas (Onkyo TX-NR 708 complete with Dolby PLIIz and Audessy DSX in a 11.2 speaker set up (heights & wides)). What I’m saying is I have most of the pieces in place finally! What I’m saying is I have a little bit of knowledge, and that can be extremely dangerous for me!
So, like it or not, I am here to….
Warn you – I have so many questions still… some incredibly simple /mundane, but I haven’t figured
them out yet… consider me the village idiot!
Apologize – for taking your valuable time… both in your efforts to make heads and tales from this
long-winded introduction, and for all my future transgressions against anyone here.
Thank you – for all that I will learn/experience/enjoy on this quest I have begun. I promise will get
busy and read everything in this forum (as well as AVSForum’s thread), but that will take
some time… and lead to many more questions I’m sure!
I do want to be able to utilize this piece of technology to it’s full potential. This (for me) usually mean slow, and difficult, and confusing. From what I have seen here over the last year (I have been a lurker too long) I think I’ve come to the right place for help. My appreciation sincere. Betty Davis said “ Buckle up, it’s going to be a bumpy ride”… but those can be so much fun, and so intense, it’s worth it! (I love rollercoasters too!) Much more to come, my thanks to all here, and thrilled to finally be a member of this forum.
:chicken:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:29 am 

Hey AVTrauma, welcome to the forums!!

I see your journey to get here was in part due to Damian and of course your EX49x Server. Thing about reading things from Damian is if you were never addicted to AV stuff he tends to get you that way or amplify the addiction. Its all good I tell you.

Believe it or not I did read your entire post! Its nice to see I am not the only one around here now who is capable of writting such long posts and I must say I did enjoy reading yours and look forward to reading your future posts as well.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:15 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi all!

My name is Per Berger and I live in Sweden. I have - as I wrote in my first post that I posted in the wrong part of the forum, sorry about that - been working in the IT business for about 25 years and with storage for about 15 years, first on Novell and now on Windows Server 2000/2003/2008. At work we use clusters with SAN cabinets. At home I have only one PC - for the moment - and have used USB drives for backup up til now. I also have a Squeezebox and up til now the SqueezeServer ran in my PC. But, since my biggest interest is photography it struggled with running Photoshop CS, Photoshop Lightroom and playing music at the same time. Something had to be done. I have friends at work who have been using WHS for a couple of years now and loving it. So, now that the prices have dropped due to the MSS going out of production it was "now or never". I could have bought another NAS box but since I am familiar with Windows Server 2003 from work this was the easiest way for me. When I got the server up and running I goggled for "Windows Home Server" and "forum" and found this site. Since I realized that I will with certainty be needing help along the way I decided to join; it also seemed like a nice place... :)

As I said my server is now up and running with 2x1TB storage, backing up my pc every night and also running SqueezeServer. Remote access is enabled so I can reach it and also my PC when away. I am happy!

/Per

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:43 pm 

I am a DIY home server user. I found the site through google because I need advice on my upgrade to 2k11.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:12 pm 

Hello, I'm varun from Washington, a long time article commenter, but a newbie on the forums - needed some help with Mac OS X Lion and my MSS. I have a EX490 with a TR5M attached and a X310. Hello everyone!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:25 pm 

I found it doing a search for a recovery disc. Thanks for the help.

I'm a pro photographer with a need to store my images, short videos, and some music for backup rather that streaming to a TV or other device. I also have Carbonite for critical files. Is there a "best practices" thread somewhere on this forum that could save me some grief?

Thanks,

Don

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:29 pm 

Just bought WHS and made a server out of an old HP pavillion that I was going to pitch out. While looking for info I Binged Whs and lo and behold This showed.Got to say that this is a great site and your add-ins are great. Php and Mysql loaded perfectly. as I gain experience with WHS I will be posting
my experiences here. Thanks hugmongously

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:34 am 

Hello,

I have been visiting your site for a couple years now ever since the HP Ex475 came out. I never had a chance to purchase one at that time but your site offered great guides and reviews for products and services so I would always make your site one of my daily reads at work. Well over the weekend I was able to find a used EX490 on craigslist for $250. I did a full factory reset at the guys house and brought home this gem. I previsously had a probox with 6tb of viddys. I had to delete a 2 tb drive so that I could add it to the MSS as I didn't have a hold spot to move those files. Now that its added I'm moving the the viddys from the Probox over to the MSS. Its kinda weird that I have a gigabit network and the files are only moving at about 11 MB/sec from my probox>laptop>MSS and about 30 MB/sec from an internal hd on a desktop>MSS over the gigabit network. I plan to be active on this forum and am glad that people here are willing to help.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:58 am 

Greetings. A friend pointed out this site to me about 3 years ago when I was looking for a media server and home backup solution. The excellent support posts prompted me to purchase an EX495 and I haven't looked back. I now have 8TB (half filled) and a healthy, happy server. It wasn't always so, but your posts helped me resolve a blinking blue light (corrupt data drive - thanks, comp1962) and, most recently, cloning the system drive (22 sector reallocations per SMART - thanks, ymboc) among other minor problems. Never lost data or backups.
Acquired the PCH C-200 based on damian's excellent review so my solution is complete.
I couldn't have done it without y'all so I signed up to say thanks.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next