It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:10 pm 

Hi everybody,

I'm new in the forum, and i'm so happy to find a lot of fan like you of the MSS :mss:

I'm french (Salut les français si il me lisent) and i've got a little network with my MSS in the garage.

But in my country it's the winter (it's snowing now :roll: ) and my garage as not any warming system, so it's pretty cold in the night and my MSS is 24/24 turned ON.

it's 10PM right now and i just make a check of the temp system and this is what i have :

ImageImage

Sorry this is the screenshot of my French MSS so it's in °Celsius

If some one can tell me what is the minimum for the system and the processor for running without any trouble ?

Thanks so much and sorry for my very bad English :oops:

:mss:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:15 pm 
Founder
Founder

Welcome to the forum! The processor doesn't go into thermal protect until something like 100C, and warns at 73C. The system temp warns at 60C and goes critical at 65C.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:04 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Assuming you're concerned about LOW temps you have nothing to worry about at 27C. There are a lot of us that would love to have temps that low.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:45 pm 
ubermensch

Quote:
Thanks so much and sorry for my very bad English

It is funny that you apologies for English which is better than most native speakers here have.

You should visit the 'Reverse Introductions" topic and tell us about yourself.

PS-It has to get much colder than Northern European temps before you have to worry about electronics needing any help staying warm :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:23 pm 

Hi everybody :lol:

Thanks so much for all you reply, and your help about my request.

So if i understand, i don't have to be worry about my temp, it's a good news and a very good place i have choised in my garage :lol:

This place as the particularity to remove all the noise of my MSS, and easy to connect on the LAN because it's near the electrical box of the house.

I present you my network so:

1 MSS (in the garage as you can see !)
1 Laptop for wath you want in the house on XP i Wifi
1 Vista MCE only to use for : live tv recording and reading all files, with 2x DVB-S2 tuner card
1 Linksys DMA2100 in Wifi 802.11G for live tv and recording in the bedroom
1 Linksys DMA2100 in WIRED Cable for live tv recorder and slideshow picture of all my MSS like a picture-frame but in realy ore big :lol:
1 PC desktop for my work and all i want

My last research is an additional e-sata enclosure to put inside 4 more 1TB HDD to update my MSS of 3.5TB already Full :(

Thanks a lot

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:48 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

yakuza wrote:
Welcome to the forum! The processor doesn't go into thermal protect until something like 100C, and warns at 73C. The system temp warns at 60C and goes critical at 65C.

Crap! What could be causing the system temp to shoot up to 60 degrees? I shut it down for a few minutes and powered it back up. Now the cpu is up to 48 degress. WOW! I am not doing anything on my server.

Attachments:
hot.jpg
hot.jpg [ 52.32 KiB | Viewed 17229 times ]
tm.jpg
tm.jpg [ 35.34 KiB | Viewed 17219 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:50 pm 

Whaou :shock:

Maybe the fan circulation are not realy clean ? try to do that in first if you don't already check it.

And it's possible the temp captor is not realy true :?

:?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:27 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

This is really weird. I shut id down for a while to let it cool down. It's running hot again. This time, the cpu is at 5e degrees and the system at 59 degrees. The hard drive is hammering away at something. CPU usage is 60-80%. I don't get it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:54 am 
Founder
Founder

Make sure you click the "Show processes from all users" checkbox on Task Manager.

Don't worry about the System temp too much, it's measured on the backplane and measures the air temp through the HDDs. If you have high HDD activity that could raise the temp. That backplane sensor is also known to misbehave for some people. If the CPU is that high, your system is obviously working at something.

It also looks like you haven't updated your HP software??

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:50 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thanks for the reassurance. It really is kinda annoying to have the warning pop up every now and then. So, if this is a known issue, wouldn't it be best for me to get it fixed under warranty. If I can't trust the readings, how am I to trust that the system temperature is ok when it may not be?

I moved the second hard drive into the third bay to see if that would make a difference. I've got one of my Mom's cooking thermometers shoved in one of the empty bays to check the temperature. Well see how it goes.

I wonder why my software wasn't up to date? I have it set for automatic updates. Shouldn't I be getting alerts via the console? Well, I've updated it just a few minutes ago.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:48 am 
Founder
Founder

You could definitely call HP support if you have a concern about the hardware, I would do that before the 1 year warranty expires. Make sure you run the HP Updates from the MediaSmart Tab, you should be up to 1.3 version.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:27 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Ok, I am current. I'm on 1.3.6. Although it's a bit of a pain to get through to support, I had a pleasant experience and got a fix for the temp issue. HP has a hot fix for it. The hot fix disables the warning message. You have to contact technical support to get it. Alex, are you interested in putting the hot fix up on the BB? If so, email your email address and I'll forward the file and instructions to you.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:28 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

ossodiseppia wrote:
HP has a hot fix for it. The hot fix disables the warning message.

I would highly recommend that you consider this "hot fix" as strictly a temporary "patch" and not as a permanent solution to your problem. As I understand it from a number of folks who discussed this with HP support, this just disables the reading from that sensor. It does not fix the sensor! You paid for a unit with functional over-temperature sensors and you need a functioning sensor to get that.

Insist on a replacement frame. (You move the disks to the new unit so you do not loose any data, upgrades, Add-Ins, etc.)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:14 pm 
Founder
Founder

ossodiseppia wrote:
Ok, I am current. I'm on 1.3.6. Although it's a bit of a pain to get through to support, I had a pleasant experience and got a fix for the temp issue. HP has a hot fix for it. The hot fix disables the warning message. You have to contact technical support to get it. Alex, are you interested in putting the hot fix up on the BB? If so, email your email address and I'll forward the file and instructions to you.

I don't know if I can host it, but I am curious to see it: yakuza AT mediasmartserver DOT net

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
ossodiseppia wrote:
HP has a hot fix for it. The hot fix disables the warning message.

I would highly recommend that you consider this "hot fix" as strictly a temporary "patch" and not as a permanent solution to your problem. As I understand it from a number of folks who discussed this with HP support, this just disables the reading from that sensor. It does not fix the sensor! You paid for a unit with functional over-temperature sensors and you need a functioning sensor to get that.

Insist on a replacement frame. (You move the disks to the new unit so you do not loose any data, upgrades, Add-Ins, etc.)

I understand your concern. According to tech support, the system temp sensor is really redundant. The CPU temp is the most important reading. I used a meat thermometer to measure the temp. I left it in one of the drive bays for a couple of days. The temp was pretty steady at about 75 degrees. I'll keep an eye on it and decide a little later if I should ask for a replacement. I am sure the new ones have the same faulty sensors.

Thanks