It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:25 am 

heres mine

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:35 pm 

Nice thong there, hanging in the third picture :lol:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:12 pm 

ehh lol my gf has them everywhere.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:15 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Here's where I'm at for now...

The WD MyBook at the top is not used yet, but I might serve backup duties (dedicated WHSBDBB drive, perhaps?). The bluish glow in the back is coming off the stock fan of the TR4M-B.

What you don't see in the picture is the UPS (APC Back-UPS ES 750) and the router (D-Link DIR-655). Pay no attention to the iMac in front of the picture :)

Cheers!

HP EX470 w/PP3, 8.0TB (2x500GB, 5x1TB+1x2TB WD Green Drives, 2GB RAM), TR4M-B
PC1: Desktop, Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
PC2: Media Center, Windows 7 Home Premium (x32)
PC3: Desktop, Windows XP Pro SP3 (x32)
PC4: EeePC, Windows 7 Home Premium (x32)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:47 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I am feeling very inadequate after looking through all of those setups. :( I've got my MSS with the Big Unit (See link below for explanation of the Big Unit) in the hall closet by my garage door. I wanted it there so that I could grab it on the way out if I needed to leave my home quickly. It was fun putting in the network, running the wires through a bathroom closet and between the floor joists above the hall closet and then down the inside wall of the closet. All of the ethernet cables run to the outlet in the closet and up to the switch.

In the nook, behind my new flat screen (http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2409&start=45), I have ethernet, phone and RCA jacks.

Attachments:
Dscn9293_small.jpg
Dscn9293_small.jpg [ 36.22 KiB | Viewed 34469 times ]
DSCN8227_small.JPG
DSCN8227_small.JPG [ 52.09 KiB | Viewed 34468 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:44 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

So my daughter [8 years old] has wanted to build something with Dad [Me] for quite some time now, but I just couldn't figure out what. Well I finally came up with it, we'll transform an old closet into a room for centralization!

I think it turned out great, we had a great time building it together and my daughter got to try her hand with several tools she's never operated before, with my supervision of course.

The pics being accepted are pretty small, but I'll post all the info on my site within the coming days, so if anyone wants to see/read more they can.

> Basically I first took the time to run a lot of new cabling, time consuming yeah but worth it, then I demo'd the shelf and hanger rod that was there.

> Then the building got underway. We started out with the idea that this closet would house some other "supplies", but once we got going and saw how great it was looking we changed our minds and decided it would be solely for equipment.

I have updated my site to include more info about the setup we built, you can read more about it here: Magnum1.com

> Temperature was a big worry, as it should be, but we plan on leaving the door cracked a bit for ventilation. I'm getting a good reading that varies from 67* to about 71*. As far as fans go, I basically bought a 4 port fan controller and now run 3 fans off it. The controller has dials so I can control the speed of the fans individually. I built the top trim to house two 12" neon tubes that we are going to run that will "trick" it out a bit...ha-ha.... You can see the 2 fans I put together in the center and then I have a single blowing around the router / modem / switch[s] area:

Simply amazing, mainly because my daughter and I built it together in about 4 days:

Last edited by Magnum on Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:00 pm 
Founder
Founder

Very cool project, especially to do with your daughter. 8) Thanks for sharing!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:33 pm 

Can't believe I just found this thread now!!! I will try and get some pics to post, also I will need to ask some advice on cooling my a/v cabinet (after I post some pics I will explain)

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:10 am 

This is the guts of my home network where my MSS/TR4M are connected to the network. The UPS is on the floor and the house is wired via cat5e. Media is streamed from the MSS to my son's playroom (PCH), my bedroom (HTPC, etc) and the family room (HTPC, etc)

Attachment:
IMG_1452 Resize 1.JPG
IMG_1452 Resize 1.JPG [ 93.69 KiB | Viewed 34299 times ]

This is my setup in my bedroom (HTPC is in the bottom left hand corner of the stand). Also note the black electrical tape wrapped around my cable box to prevent my son from putting the cable card in the shower, again...

Attachment:
IMG_1450 Resize.JPG
IMG_1450 Resize.JPG [ 83.25 KiB | Viewed 34299 times ]

This is my family room (I guess the equivalent of a media room). This is where I hope to utilize the MSS the most from streaming content. It hasn't happened yet though as the Disney Channel/Noggin seem to be the media of choice...
The A/V cabinet is the bottom left cabinet.
Attachment:
IMG_1445 Resize.JPG
IMG_1445 Resize.JPG [ 81.03 KiB | Viewed 34300 times ]

This is a picture of the A/V cabinet from the family room above. The HTPC I just built is in the bottom left. The device on the middle slot on the right is an HDMI switch (this is where my receiver should be if I ever get it back from the shop). This cabinet is also where I have a cooling question which I will ask after the next picture.

Attachment:
IMG_1449 Resize.JPG
IMG_1449 Resize.JPG [ 109.3 KiB | Viewed 34312 times ]

This is a picture of the top of the A/V cabinet. You can see towards the back that slits were put in to allow air to flow out of the cabinet.

Attachment:
IMG_1448 Resize.JPG
IMG_1448 Resize.JPG [ 59.39 KiB | Viewed 34306 times ]

So now my cooling question. I got a Harmony remote with RF so I can keep the A/V cabinet doors closed at all times and still operate all the equipment. The problem I am having though is that if I use my PS3 it heats up too much and the fan sounds like I am at an airport. I am also worried that once I get my receiver back if I have those two devices on at the same time I could potentially fry an egg in the cabinet. One solution is to keep the cabinet doors open when using, but I am trying to avoid that mainly to keep my son out of there (see a theme :) ). I am guessing I somehow need to get the hot air sucked out in the direction of the slits in the cabinet. How should I go about doing this, should I mount some fans to the underside of the cabinet where the slits are to pull air out? Any recommendations on silent fans, I came across this the other day (http://www.coolerguys.com/840556082224.html)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:56 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

What is behind the cabinet? Can you get access to the area with the idea of installing fans in the back of the cabinet that would pull the air out. Possibly into a vent that goes up the wall into the attic? I also thought about putting fans in the bottom. If you do that I would also drill multiple holes in the shelves to allow the air to move downward more easily. Another option might be to install the fan(s) on the fireplace side and blow the air into the fireplace chase. It all depends on the accessibility.

I've been considering mounting my plasma above the fireplace but am concerned it would be too high. How far off of the floor is the bottom of yours?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:38 am 

TxDot wrote:
What is behind the cabinet? Can you get access to the area with the idea of installing fans in the back of the cabinet that would pull the air out. Possibly into a vent that goes up the wall into the attic? I also thought about putting fans in the bottom. If you do that I would also drill multiple holes in the shelves to allow the air to move downward more easily. Another option might be to install the fan(s) on the fireplace side and blow the air into the fireplace chase. It all depends on the accessibility.

I've been considering mounting my plasma above the fireplace but am concerned it would be too high. How far off of the floor is the bottom of yours?

Unfortunately the cabinet is built in to the wall, so I have no way of getting behind it. That is the problem, since the cabinet/wall unit is built in I have very limited access, anything I do has to be done directly in the cabinet. That is interesting though to put fans on the bottom to blow air up as well as drilling holes in the shelves.

As for the TV, my wife and I were very concerned about the height at first (the mantle was much higher then we expected). I think I measured the bottom of the tv to be about 5 ft from the floor. Honestly though, we have had zero issues watching tv. It is not uncomfortable and really once it was set up it just felt natural (with the mount the tv is tilted down slightly). I would definitely do it again if I had the choice.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:52 am 
Founder
Founder

Dbone, love the pictures, you've got a ton of gadgets. :) I'm also interested in hearing more discussion about A/V cabinets and keeping them cool, to make that more clear and keep this thread on topic would you mind creating a new one in Off-Topic?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:13 am 

yakuza wrote:
Dbone, love the pictures, you've got a ton of gadgets. :) I'm also interested in hearing more discussion about A/V cabinets and keeping them cool, to make that more clear and keep this thread on topic would you mind creating a new one in Off-Topic?

All the gadgets, and that is with the Wii not in the pictures!!! I agree, I will start a new Off Topic thread

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:47 am 

To keep this thread on topic, thread regarding A/V cooling, etc started here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3230

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:47 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Damian, good stuff, thanks for sharing! I can see we have similar taste in gadgets: MSS, TR4M, Explorer 8300 HD, Harmony remote, that awesome Antec HTPC case...

If that's a Panasonic in your "media room", we have the same taste in displays as well :mrgreen: (I want to get a TH58-PZ800, just waiting for the right price!)

HP EX470 w/PP3, 8.0TB (2x500GB, 5x1TB+1x2TB WD Green Drives, 2GB RAM), TR4M-B
PC1: Desktop, Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
PC2: Media Center, Windows 7 Home Premium (x32)
PC3: Desktop, Windows XP Pro SP3 (x32)
PC4: EeePC, Windows 7 Home Premium (x32)

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next