It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:17 pm 
Founder
Founder

I was inspired to start this by sguth925m posting pics of his network in another thread.

Let's have pictures of the MSS in your home or office. Is it in the laundry room? Your office? The closet? On your nightstand? :lol: Feel free to describe your network topology, too.

In my case, it's on my equipment rack in my home theater room. I've got cable modem going to Linksys WRT54G router running DD-WRT. That goes to a Netgear gigabit switch that feeds two PCs in the home office, a HP MediaVault, and an HP network printer. Off of that runs a cable to the home theater that feeds another Netgear gigabit switch that feeds the Xbox360, MediaSmart Server, and a DMA.

If you don't have a way to host your pictures, send me a PM and I'll give you my email and I'll host them for you.

Alex

Last edited by yakuza on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:20 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

My network consists of a Linksys CM 100 Cable Modem. ISP is Cox, and I have a 12 mbps connection. The modem is connected to a Linksys RVS 4000 gigabit router. For my wireless needs I have a D-Link DI-624 running as an access point, which is hooked up to a Hawking signal booster. I outfitted my entire house with CAT 6e cable and the runs are all plugged into a D-Link 8-port 10/100/1000 Desktop Switch.

Of course I have my MP MediaSmart Server. I also have a Mirra Server, which I am using right now to also back up my photos. (have about 4000 all in RAW format) Also attached to the network is a D-link DNS-323 NAS with 2 1tb drives in a RAID 1 configuration.

My servers, modem, routers and switch are connected to a APC BACK-UPS 900VA.

Almost forgot...I also have a D-Link DSM-300 wireless media player (going to swap it out for the DSM-750 when it becomes available).

All of my network is centrally located in my house in the hall closet. Just checked the temp in there...90 degrees. Got to work on that next.

P.S. Alex is hosting Sunday and Monday Night football on that rather large screen...BYOB

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:43 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hey Alex,

I noticed you have a projection system.

I have one set up for my xbox console as well. ;)

- Will

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:52 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hi Will,

In fact, that's the only TV in our house. :) I built the 92" screen out of a product called Do-Able, it's documented completely on AVSforum. My next major purchase will likely be a 720p (or better) projector to replace the Infocus 4805 I currently have.

Maybe we need to start a gamertag thread. :)

Alex

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
GGHTPC
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:56 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Cool. I'd like to do a projection but I can't get the room dark enough during the day. :/

I'll take some pics of my setup and post later.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:01 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Nice setup! How do you rate the noise level?

I would have thought people would distance it from the theater because of the fan and drive noise...

Nice Onyx Rockets, by the way!! 750s with Risers?

yakuza wrote:
I was inspired to start this by sguth925m posting pics of his network in another thread.

Let's have pictures of the MSS in your home or office. Is it in the laundry room? Your office? The closet? On your nightstand? :lol: Feel free to describe your network topology, too.

In my case, it's on my equipment rack in my home theater room. I've got cable modem going to Linksys WRT54G router running DD-WRT. That goes to a Netgear gigabit switch that feeds two PCs in the home office, a HP MediaVault, and an HP network printer. Off of that runs a cable to the home theater that feeds another Netgear gigabit switch that feeds the Xbox360, MediaSmart Server, and a DMA.

If you don't have a way to host your pictures, send me a PM and I'll give you my email and I'll host them for you.

Alex

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:09 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

typeshige wrote:

I would have thought people would distance it from the theater because of the fan and drive noise...

Noise? While I can't speak for Yakuza, As the proud owner of a Xbox360 I doubt that the HP MSS is any louder than even a new "falcon" 360. When my launch 360 turns on it sounds like a car at idle and when that drive spins up it sound like a jet engine. Lucky I have a decent sound system...

Nice setup though Alex!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:46 pm 
Founder
Founder

typeshige wrote:

Nice Onyx Rockets, by the way!! 750s with Risers?

Thanks guys! They're actually 550's on risers, I still lust after the 760's a bit, but now that I've got a good sounding system I've managed to avoid the upgrade-itis to bad. :)

The noise is definitely noticeable when nothing else is running, however my project is pretty much over my head and behind me, and it's the loudest thing in the room so I don't mind it too much. I think it's the power supply fan that makes the most noise, and it's not actually that loud, more of the tone of the fan that makes it noisy at all. The 360 spinning a disc is definitely louder than the server.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:48 am 

Here is mine :)

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:56 am 
Founder
Founder

Looks great, KoL!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:33 pm 

yakuza wrote:
Looks great, KoL!
'
Thanks man, yours looks great too :)

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:06 am 

Here's my setup in my office. I got my MSS with CFI SATA port multiplier enclosure. I've got cable modem with Charter, going to Dlink Dir-655 router and from there to my Dlink gigabit hub. This feeds two PCs, work Laptop, HP tc1100 tablet and MSS in my office, Netgear gigabit hub and Vista media center in my living room and my wife's laptop. My house is wired with Cat 6. The only thing using WiFi is my tablet (802.11b :cry: WHS only backs up my MS Onenote files) and my wife's laptop which has 802.11n card.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:30 pm 

Isn't it weird how you have a little desk, it gets cluttered, so you say "I should get a bigger desk, that will help with the clutter". Get the bigger desk, and you just get more clutter -.-

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:13 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks  
 Post subject: Turbocharged!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:29 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

See image #4 at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/custom ... ll#gallery

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next