It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:43 pm 
Founder
Founder

Eidos, cool setup! I'm surprised and curious to see that you only have ~500MB of duplicated data. :shock:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:50 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I have chosen to only duplicate my software in backed-up files. Since I have taken the shot you see, I have added another 1TB of shared files. I felt it unnecessary to back up everything on the server twice since I already have it on my computers on the AMS towers. I figure is the computer fails restore it. If the server fails re-back it up.

Do you feel that this is too conservative or do you have another suggestion? I am always eager to learn, perhaps I don't have my system optimized yet.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:21 pm 
Founder
Founder

It sounds like you've got a reasonable plan, and I wasn't clear about the use of the AMS towers.

For me, if I lose a WHS drive I don't know exactly what files have been lost since DE moves files behind the scenes to different drives. This would make it hard for me to restore the subset of non-duplicated files from the Client PC to the server.

I don't have nearly the storage capacity at home that you do, though, so I'm able to duplicate everything. :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:08 pm 

My MSS has become the center of my connected home plan.

Attachments:
File comment: My server closet is constantly being worked on like most geeks I am never satisfied but pairing a MSS with Verizon fios 20/15MPS internet is a dream I am very happy. Probably my best find was the big bidirectional room fan I found at best buy for $30 doll
DSC00491.JPG
DSC00491.JPG [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 29345 times ]
File comment: The upstairs office is the main workstation for the house.
DSC00490.JPG
DSC00490.JPG [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 29340 times ]
File comment: My wife connects wirelessly connects in the bedroom.
DSC00483.JPG
DSC00483.JPG [ 137.74 KiB | Viewed 29316 times ]
File comment: My girls connect to there own folder for streaming music I have selected for them.
DSC00484.JPG
DSC00484.JPG [ 130.33 KiB | Viewed 29315 times ]
File comment: The living room streams media via the PS3.
DSC00486.JPG
DSC00486.JPG [ 131.67 KiB | Viewed 29321 times ]
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:21 am 
Founder
Founder

Good stuff, JeffB, thanks for sharing, exactly what the MSS was meant for in the connected home. 8)

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:17 am 

Hello.
Now I got my second unit up and running, (BTW does it show i´m a flightsim nerd) :)

Second photo is the first one who faild going through some testing... no luck there :x

Attachments:
22.jpg
22.jpg [ 136.95 KiB | Viewed 29111 times ]
11.jpg
11.jpg [ 148.48 KiB | Viewed 29109 times ]
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:31 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Nothing like a flight sim and a good sauvignon blanc. Pilot sober my friend... ha!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:49 pm 

Yepp.. "celebrating" that all was working as intended :D
But for a change this evening it was a Pinot Gris grape instead of sauvignon blanc or Chardonnay, a favorite i must say.

Happy Flying!

Thanks  
 Post subject: I got something better..
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:46 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Sure, you guys have all your nice shells on and all. But me, I am developing an ecological niche with MY MSS!

My door and the power supply panels are off so my box fan can cool the case (very well too!)

There is an enterprising spider who has set up a nice little web behind the fan. Not only do all the bugs get blown into it but the big fat ones first get chopped up by the fan blades!

I have encouraged this biological treasure by supplying a bug drawing blue LED case fan. The spider appreciates the mood lighting for his meals as well as the aperitifs.

He lives in the vanes of the CPU heat sink so his bed is kept nicely warmed for his sleeping pleasure. His name is NASpider...

I am glad to provide both a comfortable home and an end to bothersome insects.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:23 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

So... here goes mine to the collection. I recently had to move it from a storage-space on the closet into the closet. It was way to hot on top the closet (Miami weather is a charm) - a router actually got fried up there. Well, inside the closet it gets a little warm too with these fellows in it, but its still better then the previous space. And I need to keep it out of reach from our little baby that is somehow attracted by all those blinking lights... :lol:

Anyway, what you see, from left to right:
  • Router / Access Point (D-Link DIR-615)
  • HP MediaSmart Server (EX475)
  • UPS (APC Back-UPS CS 350)
  • Gigabit Switch (Netgear GS 308)
  • TV Tuner (Hauppauge PVR-350)
  • Almost invisible dark: Cable Modem
  • In the back, plugged in the outlet: Insteon-USB Adapter

What you cannot see: A nightmare of cables in the back... :?

Attachments:
homeserver.jpg
homeserver.jpg [ 43.24 KiB | Viewed 28688 times ]
Thanks  
 Post subject: To Kaibo
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:57 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Wires, wires, Kaibo, trust me, we ALL have been there!

May I make a suggestion? It looks like the server is pretty close to the back wall. It is probably the one box that is the most heat and dust sensitive. If you can turn it SIDEWAYS, you could let the back fans blow a little easier AND you would be able to clean the little holes every once in a while.

And one other thing.. Make sure that there is nothing on the upper shelves that can drip down into all those expensive boxes!

Thanks for the pic.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:57 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I actually thought of putting a vent on one side of the shelf so I get a better airflow. But putting the whole MSS sideways might do the trick too. Even though it won't look that nice that way. ;)

Above the IT-hardware is where all those hardware-tools life. Hammers, Screwdrivers, Screws, spare Cables, etc. That one yellow thing you can see on the picture is actually just some pressured air for cleaning purposes.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:38 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I used to operate on whatever scrounged cables I could find. That menas posisbly using a 20 foot patch cable to run the 1 foot distance from the cable modem to the router. No more. When I purchased a GigE switch I looked at cables - the box stores are insane. Someone at worked turned me on to Monoprice.com - they sell cables for less than our cost from our regular distributors! Now everythign is fairly neat, and even though it makes no different in certain cases, all cables are Cat 6 with hooded ends. The cable modem and router sit on top of a desk, 1ft patch cable. My WHS box sits ont eh floor under the desk, with the GigE switch sitting on top of it. A 2ft cable connect the router to the switch. Another 1ft connects the WHS box to the switch, and it took a 14ft cable to run around the corner and behind my desk to my desktop. All this for less than half the cost of a single Cat5e cable at one of the box stores. And I just realized I misse done, lol. At my TV, I have my old router acting as a wireless bridge to my 360, and the only handy cable I had when I hooked it up was a bright yellow one about 10ft long. I need to replace that with a 2ft one in black to hide it against the stand.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:42 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Nah, those are all patch-cables. Except for the Uplink to the Office and Living Room of course. I even got some color-codes so I know which cable serves which purpose. Helps keep things simple and clean too!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:54 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Yup, I should have taken pictures of the new network I just installed last week for a client. Everything is color-coded. Workstation patches from the punch block to the switch are black, servers to the switch are yellow, UPS monitor board to the switch is red, Firewall and spam filter to the switch are blue, ethernet back to their network interface from the firewall is green. It's a work of art if I do say so myself :D

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next