It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:43 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I tested the thumb drive file transfer for the ISO, initially got format errors, then "file too large" for Fat32 format (4gb limit), reformatted 15gb thumb drive to NTFS, copied 8gb GLB ISO to thumb drive, plugged into MSS server, but could not open/view the ISO, no app on server to view it with? Any reccs?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:32 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Quote:
1. I can view the downloaded ISO with Cyberlink ISO Viewer and see all of the content fine... But don't I just copy the raw downloaded iso file to the thumb drive?, then I need a viewer on the Server to see and select the exe (updateinstaller.exe)? Is there an ISO viewer on the server?
2. My lack of experience I am concerned about is for the flash OS load... not the update steps... and I am committed to learning the flash load process....

Your not doing a flash based OS load (the updater isn't an OS) nor are you running run the iso itself.. Meaning, the .iso of the updater doesn't get loaded onto the flash drive, the contents of the .iso does. If your having problems, here's what to do. Once the .iso is downloaded to the client, use the .iso viewer of your choice to open it (I use Pismo File Mount (PFM). Then just copy the folders and file contents that show up and paste them into an empty folder you created on a flash drive. It sounds like you've already done your initial OS load, so just rdp into the server desktop, plug the USB drive into the server and copy the folder with updaters contents onto the desktop. From there you just open the application from your desktop and run the .exe file.

Quote:
My cooling concern was over the new 7200rpm red pro, your twin 30’s are adding cpu cooling? Is both important? Where are you getting your temp measurements? GPUZ (loaded on server?)
Cpu cooling is important too. The heat coming off of the heatsink goes straight up to drive0. Best bet is to get your install done and then start looking at temps. With the MSS full of drives, you'll want to run all fans at full (or set a more aggressive fan slope than the default). You'll need bios access to set that up. Unless you just want to do it because you can, I'd suggest you get the system up and running and make sure temps are an issue for you before really worrying about this.

I use CPUZ, Smart Classic, & the console. What CPU are you using?

Quote:
The USB mouse/keyboard are still confusing me… (easy to do!) Where is the monitor functionality? How do I see what I am typing or screen navigating? Where is the mss desktop or server console visible if I were to be typing or mousing via the MSS usb connected mouse or keyboard? (its still connected to my client pc!), My ex495 has no VGA port, my monitor is connected by dvi or hdmi… I understand I will lose RDP access during reboots… it would be nice to see the MSS server directly… Help me understand…?
If your not setup for the VGA, you wont need to attach a keyboard or mouse to the server. But the only access you will have to the server desktop, typing, and mouse will but thru RDP with the client. And yes, there is no RDP access during server reboots.

Quote:
Regarding my drives, I have stopped all duplication. I don’t care about old PC backups, I could remove/delete them. I plan to just run new backups after cleaning up the drives on my two pc’s… I have already copied (yes lengthy) all of the data off of my mss to pc hard drives. could just copy? Back my photos, files, videos back to server when rebuild complete. Sounds like I should replace all 4 at this time. I wanted to get away from SMR and back to CMR with the red pro’s and add cooling fans to mitigate 7200rpm heat. So… bite the bullet and do as you recommend, factory reset with one drive ), offline updates, then add the remaining drives (maybe consolidate by leaving slot 1 empty, installing new storage drives in 2 and 3…, add the two arctics pmw8’s) , monitor cpu heat, make sense? Attached pix current server disk mgmt.
There's a better chance of data recovery with folder duplication just in case two drives fail at the same time. Just so you know, the new install will reformat drive0, and when you add drives they are also formatted also before being added to the pool.

I know you just grabbed a Red Pro, but check out the Seagate Iron Wolf (non-pro) NAS drives if you're really concerned about running a cooler, slower rpm CMR drive. Their ST2000VN004 is a 2tb 512e (32bit compatable) drive that runs at 5900rpm. They're rated for 180 tb/yr and you get 3 yr warranty. The 7200rpm Red Pro's do spec better @ 300 tb/yr w/5 year warranty, but as you know they run hotter. Both are rated at 1,000.000 hours MTBF.

Those Seagates have to be the coolest running CMR drives out there right now. I just read about them last week (about half way into this techspot article).

https://www.techspot.com/bestof/storage/

If you really want an over the top setup, have you given any thought to running SSD's and just re-align the partitions once the're setup? Today's brand SSD's have a good garbage collection routines that would get you past the issue of NT5.x not having TRIM. There is a lot written on the web about using the 32bit NT5.x OS (like XP & s2k3r2) with SSD's if you want to explore it and I'm sure you'd find a handful of post with long term feedback of how it works for them.

That would really lower internal server temps. Down side is you could easily triple your investment in storage drives... Good luck with it and let us know how it goes! :cheers:

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank lioninstreet for this post
DataGeek
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:24 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

thanx Lion, you rock...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:40 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

An Update:
1. Cyberlinks ISO Viewer won’t allow copy until “Mount virtual drive” is selected. I copied GLB ISO contents to Thumb drive, copied to MSS desktop successfully.
2. My CPU Temps as reported by the MSS/Settings/Hardware tab cycle between 38C and 46C. Fan (stock) speeds 1242, drive temps from Smart Classic 30C for drive 0, 29c for 1,2,3 (All SMR WD reds). How did you load CPUZ on the MSS?
3. My CPU is stock EX495 dual core Pentium E5200 (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... z-fsb.html). Any memory upgrades warranted possible here? See attachment below for CPU.
4. I plan to use my Red Pro for drive 0, then use your recommended Baracuda Ironwolfs 5900 CMR drives for drives 1,2,3.
5. Still parsing thru phase 3, 4….

Attachments:
MSS CPU.JPG
MSS CPU.JPG [ 39.15 KiB | Viewed 9694 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:21 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I encountered another artifact on this journey last wee.....

On page 1 of this thread you'll notice I reported a smart classic disk 0 warning for "pending sector detection" along with Home Network Health alerts for "Disk Health Warning"...

This last week (still prepping for factory reset, stopped duplication, copied contents off to PC HD's) those Drive 0 errors "went away"... weird... I always wondered why a "pending sector" would not immediately resolve on its own? well... it finally did... took 5 years!

I am still going to replace...

Attachments:
smart now clear.JPG
smart now clear.JPG [ 172.13 KiB | Viewed 9665 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:06 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

DataGeek wrote:
An Update:1. Cyberlinks ISO Viewer won’t allow copy until “Mount virtual drive” is selected. I copied GLB ISO contents to Thumb drive, copied to MSS desktop successfully.
Yes that's typical.

DataGeek wrote:
2. My CPU Temps as reported by the MSS/Settings/Hardware tab cycle between 38C and 46C. Fan (stock) speeds 1242, drive temps from Smart Classic 30C for drive 0, 29c for 1,2,3 (All SMR WD reds). How did you load CPUZ on the MSS?
Same way as the updater is, load it onto a stick and then copy to desktop. Note that once you've run the offline updater you might want to remove the application from the server (delete it or cut/paste back onto the thumb drive...). The OS drive partition is only 20gb and you'll fill it up pretty quickly if you leave the offline updater stored on there.

DataGeek wrote:
3. My CPU is stock EX495 dual core Pentium E5200 (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... z-fsb.html). Any memory upgrades warranted possible here? See attachment below for CPU.
I remember reading a post by either Guardian or Ruben Rocha stating the e6800 (or was it e5800?) actually ran cooler than the e5200. Dig around you might find the reference.

I chose the chip I use (q8400s) to get a lower temp quad core. I tried the than the top of the line q9550s but didn't like how hot in runs (high 50s, low 60s) in a 75f ambient environment. My current CPU setup still typically runs in the low 40's even with the dual 30mm fans.

[EDIT] For memory options go here:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=106407#p106407

DataGeek wrote:
4. I plan to use my Red Pro for drive 0, then use your recommended Baracuda Ironwolfs 5900 CMR drives for drives 1,2,3.
You're thinking to put the hottest HDD right next to the heatsink?

DataGeek wrote:
5. Still parsing thru phase 3, 4….
It takes a little time, but I couldn't imagine having to deal with this install manually.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks