It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:47 pm 

For the last two hours I have been looking over this Community. I am soooo happy to find you guys!! :D I have a HP EX487 that I just got back from the computer shop (it needed a power supply). I tried to run a back-up of my current computer running Windows 10 and it was slower than a snail. I figure that I need to up-grade this baby to the Max as possible. I was looking around and IF POSSIBLE I would like to up-grade everything inside. I am capable of doing the work myself with instructions, and you guys advice on what to buy. PLEASE recommend and point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:08 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

well a first backup of a client is slow, after that they are incremental backups which should be quicker.
Give it a chance to finish at least a second time.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:52 pm 

Ruben Rocha
Thanks for your answer (I truly need yours and others advice. You guys are more experienced than I am). I truly would rather up grade the EX487 than spend another 4 hours trying to let it back-up to only complete 6% of the process again. To prove that I am obedient, now that you know this new info. If you tell me one more time, I will let it do it's thing no matter how lone it takes. Thanks again!!
AW

EX487
WHS 2009 64-bit Processor
Intel Celeron 2.0GHZ
2GB of DDR2 DRAM,
4ea, 1 TB Drives
Tivo support, with Internal Universal Power Supply

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:51 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

how much storage space does the pc in question have.
It there enough free space for the backup?
Is this a wifi connection or hard wired?
What is installed between the server and the client PC?
But 4 hours is a extremely long time for even several TB's and only be at 6%
I would first look at a coup[e of items.
One is your connection speed. especially if you go through several devices from the client to the server.
One item or network card may be the issue for a slow connection speed
If it is a wifi connection try a wired connection for the pc.

Another thing could be a bad drive in the server. If you have the SMART addon installed on the server it will be more reliable that what the whs console reports.
Or corrupted data or bad drive in the client PC causing the pc to send multiple packets of the same data repeatedly.
That could be done by running chkdsk on the pc.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:37 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Like Ruben said,
Your first terminal backup will always be painfully slow.

Are you concerned about the speed of the follow up terminal backups, the shares backups, or backing up the terminal backups?

ex48x came with a Celeron. Ruben correct me if I'm wrong but you have bios flash in your future if you want to do much with that. I'm not sure what the most chip you can run in the 48x without that bios flash as I'm working primarily with a 49x.

You can still find 4gb sticks of cl6 ddr2 memory on fleabay pretty cheap & easy, especially if you want to wait for China seller to ship.

If you are looking to double performance your going to need at minimum to run a vga monitor to get into bios and set your fans on full. There's lots of threads about what cpu is the best balance between power and heat.

CPU temps will be your enemy, search is your friend.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:14 pm 

To Rubin and Lioninstreet
Guys, there is enough free space for backup on (This PC /client PC: Drive:C used 351 GB, Free 579 GB. Drive D: Used: 286 GB Free: 643. Capacity for each 930 GB). The connection is Hard Wired. The PC and Server is on the Home Network. I utilize the installed software that is on the PC to interface with the EX487 server.
If you would be so kind as to provide me with a link so I can down load the software so that I may answer your question of " What is your connection speed?" That would be nice. I am a little confused thou. which connection speed would you like for me to tell you, the Internet, computer to server, etc. please be specific. I am a beginner and if you will be patient with me we both can benefit (I get the help I need and you get the satisfaction that you REALLY helped a brother in need)
I installed SMART addon on My client PC, but I am not sure how to install it on the EX487. Step by step instructions would be VERY helpful! I call myself trying to run "Check Disk" on my PC to no a veil ( I never got to anything that looked like Disk Health. Again, I am a beginner.)

Lion: When I open the server up, I will max the Memory out if you guys tell me that I should (I just want the BEST performance from the server/network). Truly, I need a step by step, detailed process from beginning to end on what to do, to buy, why I should buy it (the benefits),
Encouragement from you guys and written help along the yellow brick road. [I hope that I am not asking for too oooo much?]
AW

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:16 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Okay lets start with basics.
First install the smart addin. for the server. And see what it says.
You will need to download it and extract it ,to get a .msi file then using file explorer copy it to the software/addin folder of the server.
Then using the whs console install it. by going to settings addins, it will show as available but not installed. Select to install it.
You will now have another navigation tab to look at in the whs console. Select it and check the server drives.
One url to the software is:
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/dl/Ins ... lassic.zip
View that and smart on your pc to make sure there are no errors.
And keep that addin installed on the server.
If there is a issue with the drives it will be flagged.

Then we can go from there.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:13 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

My 2 cents: For starters,
The EX-48? series was the most unfriendly versions they made. #-o
As stated by others, to upgrade much, you will need to flash the bios, to get to the bios you will need a vga adapter / keyboard / mouse and a lot of luck.

The better versions were the EX-490 and X-510 (same hardware). Upgrade the ram to 4 gigs and upgrade the cpu to the E5800 or faster and you will have maxed it out hardware wise.
You can still find them on Feabay but make sure you get the software with them.... You would still be able to use parts off the 487 (trays/powersupply/fans/case/etc.) spare parts are good.

Making quick client backups means not having any more data on the client then is needed. I tell all my clients to keep all extra data on the server and my backups take about 5 minutes daily after the first one is done. The first one takes about 20-30 mins. tops. I have 9 clients (Win7 starter x2) (win7 pro x4) (win vista x1) (win7 home x2) my backup database is 500 gig.
If you have virus/malware scanners running, that will slow down the data transfer rates. FYI.

As you can see, I do not have any win 10 (by choice) I have heard that win10 takes a lot longer to backup and is a lot harder to perform a client recovery when needed.

Bottom line, Ram/Cpu/Cooling/ Giga wired network and keep local data to a minimum and they will serve you well. Lastly, always keep a out of the server backup of all the data that you can't lose.
When Home servers go bad, all can be lost if you don't have a backup.
I run 2 servers, one only has synctoy on it and syns one to the other 3-4 times a year. Plus I have done NON-POOLED server backups yearly and keep them offsite.
So I have 4 copies of may data Server/de copies synced copy non-pooled offsite copy. Over kill yes, but I have data going back 30 + years.

Hope this helps. I really think you need to upgrade your server by getting one of the better servers. Or you could chose to go down the NAS line Drobo / Synology / Qnap / home built / etc.
Good luck and enjoy.
I have 4 x-510 servers all upgraded ram and cpu, two running and two in the box in case I need them. I will run them till they won't go anymore :cheers:
Good Luck and enjoy!!

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 pm 

Ruben Rocha, I will do EXACTLY as you instructed. This will happen most likely this week end when I have more time. I will let you know my progress shortly (stay tuned).

Gardian, You have some VERY GOOD advice!!! I will use it and I am wondering can I backup the server to an external hard drive?????? But truly I think I am a long way before I can even considering doing this or implementing your advice. I do like what you are saying because It will help me to up grade my EX487. Ruben is helping me to start walking first. Then, when the time is right I will open the unit up and dive in. I will do as you suggested an Upgrade the ram to 4 gigs and upgrade the cpu to the E5800 or faster. Question: If money is not an object, what is the fastest CPU that I can install in this EX487 and Is 4 gigs the Max that I should or could upgrade to? (Is it worth the money that I will be spending? I only ask this because you guys are way more experienced than I. ( I REALLY appreciate the advice guys (everyone), keep it coming!)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:03 pm 

Ruben Rocha, I have installed Smart addin on the Server. (My wife and I did it together. She did not want to help but did it anyway. PLEASE, a step by step instructions would be nice.) I have four Hard drives, The two drives that I purchased when I ordered the unit is the problems. Disk health Critical, High bad Sector Count, high Reallocation Event Count. Disk One (Very Top Drive),Capacity 698.64 GB, Model: ST3750630AS, Bad Sectors:72 & Reallocation Events: 72, Temp. 37 Degrees C., 3ea Degraded Raw Data. 2nd Hard Drive( Second one from Top), Disk Health Warning, Spin Retries Detected 4x, Yellow Triangle with Question Mark, Hard Drive Capacity the same, Model is the same, 1ea Degraded Raw Data. You already know the next question, How do I transfer the data off the bad drives so I can remove them and keep the data. Also, what is the largest internal drive you recommend that I should install in there place. I may as well start buying the other items (Upgrade the ram to 4 gigs and upgrade the cpu to the E5800 or faster ) I REALLY would like recommendations and where to buy the items at. Also: The server came with Mc Afee Total Protection Service. What is the preceedure to get my Kaspersky Account to protect my EX487 server?I Really would like to know this one.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:49 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

If they are that bad there may be nothing to save.
It all could be corrupted.

You probably will get a fail notice
But try the following anyway.(This procedure is in the user manual)

Goto the whs console select the server tab that shows the drives and select to remove one bad drive.
This takes a extremely long time even if it is a success.
If it works pull the bad drive, set it aside and don't throw it away yet.
Add a new drive to a spare bay.
Then goto the whs console and select the server tab.
Add the new drive as a pool drive.
When format is complete, it will appear as a pool drive
The best thing is replace one drive a a time.
No need to do anything prior to inserting the new drive, It will get formatted when it is added to the pool.
then let it settle down and attempt to rebuild data, may take a day or so if it can reclaim anything.
after it settles then:
If it works Then repeat the same for the other drive.
If it fails then we need to do it differently.
Do not throw away the old drives. because you can attempt to pull data from it if needed by connecting it to your PC then turn on view hidden items. Then you can just use file manager to copy back the data to your server.

As far as drives for whsv1 2TB is the max for a pool drive.
The best we have seen is the wd red drives. Don't bother with the wd red pro they get hotter .
Here is a link to one.
https://www.amazon.com/Red-2TB-NAS-Hard ... wd+red+2tb
As a note you need two pool drives for folder duplication to work correctly.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Last edited by Ruben Rocha on Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:07 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

As far as upgrading ram,cpu etc.
You will need a debug unit to access bios for the cpu.(good luck finding one)
You still will have the bottleneck of usb1.0 ports and sata 1 which are very slow in today's world.
AS well as a 10/100 network interface.
As the drives I suggested support sata3 connection speed which are like 2.5 times faster on sata3 and all you will have is sata 1.
I don't think you will get much bang for your buck. after you spend money for ram and cpu and debug unit.

As Gardian suggested buy a newer model like the ex490 or a NAS.
Even with a ex490 the internal hardware that you can't change is still not usb3 or sata3
U guess you could use a gigabit network dongle but it still uses a usb 1.0 port.
When My ex490 started to go south south.
I bought a readynas rn316 and the performance comparison is night and day compared to the ex490.
So I just used the ex490 fora backup of the NAS tile the server died.
And you could use your new drives in it also.

It all depends on what your future specific plans are to utilize either the server or a NAS.
But I don't think you will waste your money on good drives like the wd red.
FYI,
If you had a bad power supply that could be what corrupted the drives to begin with.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Last edited by Ruben Rocha on Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:59 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

As far as Kaspersky goes there really is not anything I know of to replace it since it was a addin.
And I don't think it supports the server anymore since it was a two year trial, many years ago.
My 2 cents it really is not needed unless you allow the internet to access the server.
A good virus protection on the client pc's will do the same thing since they protect the pc and anything from the pc to the server will already be cleaned.
For example I use trendmicro max security it allows me ten licensees, which is installed on all my clients. It monitors any file copy to the server
and scans the server because it is on my home network.

For that matter there are a lot of features the server had that either don't work at all or have issues over the years with no updates.
Such as twonky,Itunes they are outdated now.
And I think the hp photo album sharing is broken too.

It could have been one of the best home servers in the market today if microsoft continued to support it.
When they dropped it HP followed quickly behind them.
It is a shame that a great product was thrown under the bus.
Because the market share was to small.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:29 pm 

Ruben Rocha,
Let me start off by THANKING YOU profusely!! Your knowledge and generosity reminds me truly of Jesus Christ. I am NOT saying you are him or anything like that, I just really appreciate the time and attention you are giving me, Thank You. (Now that I have my feelings out of the way). The Power Supply Could have been the problem all along, like you mentioned. [Q: should I buy a backup Power supply. Amazon $40.00 (As you know I just had this one installed.) or a Netgear Ready NAS 316 "6 BAY" For a little more $$? and just wait for my EX487 to go South?]
I am about to order the two wd-Red-2Tb hard drives. or (in your opinion, should I can the EX487 and start fresh with the Netgear Ready NAS? The $$ I have spent so far will have to be chalked up as a lesson learned (and I/we will move onward). Your information about needing a debug unit to access bios for the cpu (good luck finding one). Then I will still have the bottleneck of usb1.0 ports and sata 1 which are very slow in today's world. AS well as a 10/100 network interface. New chips to max out the ram, no updates for twonky, photo album sharing, itunes etc. The most importat thing to me about my EX487 is the Music that Is stored on it. No matter what, I do not want to LOOSE it period.
(I want a very good Server/NAS for my home and family. Not the Top of the line but close to it and maybe a system that I could upgrade to one of the best would be nice). I just do not know what direction I should go. Obi Won Conobee! Help me !

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:41 pm 

Gardian & Lionin Street:
I can not say thank you enough! The advice you guys have given me ........ It blows me away. I want to use everything, but sadly my system has limitations and with you guys on my side I KNOW I am in great hands. So I must ask, should I keep this old EX487 or drop it in the nearest dumpster (with the two good hard drives removed)? I loved the unit but time and updates have passed it by. Is it worth pouring more $$$$ into it? What would you do? And Why?
AW

Thanks