It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:18 am 

G'morning fellow V1 users,

I still am holding onto my V1 until they pry it from my cold dead fingers... I still love it. Are there really other people out there holding onto these things?

Anyway, I need to replace/retire/upgrade one of my PCs and I'm at my 10 limit. I was simply going to install the WHS Connector, install all the other necessary software on the new PC, get it ready to go, and then in the wee hours before the user got here swap out the old PC with the new seamlessly. (I'm trying not to interrupt his workflow during the workday)

On the new PC I used the identical PC name and user name (to keep permissions/folder access seamless)
Is there a way I can do this? Is it because he is currently logged in to the server?

Do I really need to delete a Computer just to immediately add a Computer with the same credentials?

Sorry, this may be a newbie question, but I TRY to know when to ask for help and when to beat my head against the wall

Thanks so much in advance,
John

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:07 pm 
Founder
Founder

I'm still running my EX495 with WHS v1, mostly just for backing up a couple old PC's and some storage for video streaming. I've built a Ubuntu server for most other things like Subsonic streaming and backing up this website.

Yes, you'll need to delete an existing PC before adding the new one, there's keys set up between server and client, not just hostname/username.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
JohnnyBricks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:00 am 

Thanks Alex.

I deleted the PC (after saving the files in the User's folder), added a "new" PC via the Connector installer, and put the user's files back into the newly formed user's folder.
Of course I lost the first PC's backups, but I didnt really need them anyway.

Thank you for your prompt reply, and for this super helpful site.

- John

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:19 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Great to hear, I have (4) (x-510) with WHS V1 and like you will run them till they won't go anymore.
I also have built a win 2012E server , It's in the DIY thread. For down the road. I fire it up a few times a year to get updates and make sure the harddrives still spin up.
WHS V1 was one of the best things Microsoft ever did. To bad they gave up on it.

Good Luck and enjoy!!! :mss:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks