It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:29 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

This looks interesting. But i cant really find any way to source the darn thing.

My X310 is getting a new lease on life as a torrent system, with 4x2tB Seagate Certified Repair drives. Not like i'll trust them with any data worth that much, so volatile crap that can be easily replaced... Sounds like torrents to me. I haven't been able to make Transmission autolaunch with WHS, so for now i've been logging in over remote desktop, launching it, and then running transmission remote from my own system to do everything.
Might be switching o Deluge, but either way, i wanted a more streamlined option to start things, and that program launcher addin looked... interesting. Anyone happen to know of a source, or perhaps just managed to store it away them self, and would feel comfortable sharing the goodies?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:14 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I don't have the launcher, but depending on what torrent program you use, I know some have a auto start with windows option.
Or couldn't you put a shortcut to the program in the startup folder?

Just thinking of plan B in case you can't find it.

Good Luck

P.S. never thought of using a mediasmart as a torrent server, that is a great idea!!!!

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:58 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Gardian wrote:
Dunno. Never worked with Transmission. I've been logging on to the system and starting it manually for a couple of years.

Gardian wrote:
P.S. never thought of using a mediasmart as a torrent server, that is a great idea!!!!
It was probably the thirst thing i did when i got it configured. The second was mounting the old NAS as a network drive, and sent torrents there once they were removed from transmission. The old NAS, while a lot slower (266MHZ Sparc based 1gB RAM. SO-DIMM, cant remember if it was DDR, or DDR2.) is more responsive when the TV wants to have movies, pause, skip forward/backwards, and so on. And neither system can transcode worth a damn, so the faster responses made the TV experience more enjoyable. It also let me have more storage available on the X310, so to speak.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:21 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Mr B wrote:
Gardian wrote:
Dunno. Never worked with Transmission. I've been logging on to the system and starting it manually for a couple of years.
Now i remember what the issue was. What ever is in the startup folder in the start-menu, doesn't actually run until you log in with remote desktop. You can "hack" windows to auto-log on, but then you wont log on over remote desktop, it sits and waits for the "logged in user" to acknowledge that you want to use the system, and get logged out. And when they get logged out, the software closes, so you have to start it anyway.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:28 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Not sure if this would work for you. Read about the things you need to be aware of. I run PLEX as a service under WHS2011.

https://www.howtogeek.com/50786/using-s ... s-service/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:21 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thank you for the tip. For what it's worth, Transmission still is my client of choice, mostly since for what ever reason i cant get Deluge to agree with being remote controlled. Not sure whats wrong, i had it up and running before the reinstall of the X310. Transmission on the other hand was a few clicks and it's up and running as if i never changed anything.

Anyway, more on topic. The "install as a service" approach was tested before, and failed, but this looked good, so i wanted to try it again. It doesn't work this time either.
If it's something with Transmission, or if it's just WHS playing hard to get, i dunno.
I get a "error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly" if i try to start the service manually.

I might end up re-installig this thing once more after i have fiddled enough with it, and have everything sort of "fresh" in memory. So the broken service is, for now, just disabled.
It is not at all impossible that deluge would run as a service, more... nicely.

Edit
Well, i just guessed, and figured out how to remove a service again at least. Neat.
SC, delete <name of service>

While at it, tried with Deluge as well. It throws the same error.
/Edit

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:21 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I'm not sure here. But, if you install Advanced Admin Console, would it let you launch a software on the server, and then close the connector? (I'm asking since i'm not exactly with a working connector at this moment. I'll have to try it tomorrow, i suppose.) It claims to let you launch stuff from the start menu of the WHS, which would indicate that you can start a software, but i'm not sure what happens to it when you shut down the connector. It's sort of useless if i cant keep it running, so to speak.

I've also tried to use Asoft AdminiME in a sort of exploitative way. Set it to launch a .bat when an error / warning happens, and in the bat call the software's you want to start. Then find a small USB stick you can live without, and fill it with junk, so the server generates a "disk x% full" warning, and the darn thing will trigger the bat, launching your stuff. There was somewhat of a delay on this, but it worked. I was jumping with joy. And then it just kept launching multiple instances of transmission, since it, of course just kept on generating warnings. Cant have that, so that idea got scrapped again. AdminiME is also payware, so i guess there is that... Not sure what functionality goes away when the trial days are over.

Thanks