It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: 8tb drive
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:39 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I just put another 8tb drive in my MSS (I'm running 2012E R2. I used HDD Sentinal to do an extended scan of my drive an it passes but I noticed the temp is around 51c. Is this high? Should I be concerned. I use to put drives in an never worry about it but lately I'm paranoid. Damn internet searches. I don't want a bad drive I want to be secure. I could use the space now for sure. I thought maybe the fans were going out but they still spin. Is there a upgrade to the stock fans? I have an upgraded CPU the q9550s which I'm sure pumps out heat also.

Seagate is my hdd sorry

Started extended test again an my drive jumped to 54c.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: 8tb drive
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:00 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Got this from google:
Quote:
With our newer model drives the maximum temperature is now at 60 degrees Celsius. The operating temperature range for most Seagate hard drives is 5 to 50 degrees Celsius. A normal PC case should provide adequate cooling.

Looks like your ok as long as it doesn't go over 60C.

I'm a firm believer in the Red NoN-pro drives, and I will not let a seagate in the house. But I don't want to start that war again.

Good Luck and enjoy.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:16 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I should check them out. For some reason I have in my head WD is cheap. Maybe it's from years past. I've only heard good things so far. That an I heard the death star drives are good...

Looking right now an the highest the drive looks to have gotten is... 54 so if they are 60 I should be good. My drive isn't going to run 12 hrs straight.

As for the fans if they were bad they would just not work correct? I mean they done spin slowest over time.

What's a good fan upgrade?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:57 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have not had any problems with the 2tb reds (I hear the 3tb reds are bad and the red pro's are bad) I have never had problems with death star either, but they do run hot, very hot! so you for sure don't want the death star with that cpu in that small case lolool
Have you gone into the bios and changed the ramp up speed of the fans? With that cpu I would either do the bios change, some have bent one of the pins (Not sure right now which one it was) but with one of the pins not connected, the fans run at full speed, I would not want that.

The bios fan speed is complicated I hear (assuming you have ex-490 or x-510) (also assuming you have the video to see) you have to turn off fan automatic and then fiddle with the % to get them to ramp up with the heat the way they need to.
Found this: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14449&hilit=FAN+SPEED+BIOS
I believe there is a thread about the fans and that cpu might search for.
Found This: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1240
I believe there is also some threads maybe in ex-490 about better fans that move more air and are quieter.
Found This: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007998&IsNodeId=1&Description=80mm%20PWM%20Fan&name=Case%20Fans&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1

Sorry, I'm not much help, I did the Intel E5800 and my system runs about 5C cooler then with the stock cpu, go figure. I guess it is not having to mwork as hard. :-)
Then I "can air" clean the system out 2-3 times a year.

Good Luck, let us know what you end up doing. I know that cpu is getting cheaper and more people are getting it for 2012E and R2.

P.S. Also to your question (do fans slow down after time.) I would say they could, if they get dirt caked on them after years of use or the bearings start to go dry, they could run slower/less efficient. I'm assuming the house is a non-smoking house, because we all have seen what smoke does to fans after time.
The fans are controlled by the third wire, so I would guess they would run the same speed that they are told to by what power they get. But again, if they are not clean, they could be moving less air, but I would think the system would speed them up to get to the correct temp.
Sorry, just thinkin out loud.

My system with E5800 and reds: The system runs at 36C and the drives run at 33C-35C course it doesn't get very hot in Wyoming :-) I sleep the system at night when everybody is asleep, shuts down at 11:00pm and fires up at 6:00am.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:45 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

8tb is a awful lot of data to replace when one of them dies.
I understand we are limited by the drive bays we have but,
going to 8 tb would be a huge hurdle to replace one when they fail.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:59 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

That makes me think, if you don't mind, what is your setup on the mediasmart/2012ER2?
What are you using for the OS drive? I used a IcyDock that mirrored two ssd in the bottom bay for the OS and used two 4 tb reds for the data managed by stablebit drive pool.

I'm curious what others are doing.... :encore:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:05 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Ex495 with a q9550s an a 5 bay external add on from San Digital. I'm running WS2012E R :encore: :TR4M: 2

Thanks