It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:27 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I have read through many threads on this forum and elsewhere about Windows Home Server 1 compatibility in Windows 10. I am aware that it is not officially supported. I am also aware that there are lots of conflicting reports on whether or not it is working in clients with Windows 10.

I am currently running Power Pack 2 with stock MediaSmart 3.0 software installed on a HP StorageWorks X510 Data Vault.

The stock 64-bit Connector works out of the box in Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Update (Version 1607) on my client (which is an EFI based system but is set up to be running in full BIOS emulation). The Connector is able to connect to WHS without issue (no authentication error).

I am also able to configure a backup for the client to exclude files that I did not want to backup.

THE PROBLEM I HAVE is that the backup process does not start. I see a notification message on the client that a backup is about to start. But the backup never proceeds to beyond 0%. After a long time, I receive an error message about failing to take a snapshot of the drive for backup to initiate.

For the record, all of the disks are formatted using MBR (not GPT) NTFS and at or under 2GB in size per disc / partition.

WHS1 works normally otherwise in Windows 10 except for this function. I would love to find a workaround to get the backup function working.

Please help!!!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:04 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

All I can say is with a ex490 it works with xp,vista,win8 and win 10.
Have you tried a manual backup?
It is possible that a firewall setting may be blocking the server from access to the client.
The first backup does take a long time compared to sequential backups so another possibility is some timeout issue.
so assuming you have devices such as router,switch hub you may want to try a direct connection between that client and the server.
or very possibly the connection to the server is bad or extremely slow.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:35 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hello, welcome and sorry to hear you are having some problems. I do not have nor backed up a win10 pc on my x-510 because I selected to not install win10 on any of my 10 client pc's.
But I have read some of the talk about it. I noticed you said:
Quote:
all of the disks are formatted using MBR (not GPT) NTFS and at or under 2GB in size per disc / partition

I am assuming that you meant 2tb. And if so, do you have a drive larger then 2TB in the client that you are trying to backup? That would be the only thing I could think of. As some PC's come with 2tb and larger drives in them (bad plan for trying to bad them up) but it is what they are doing.

The only other thing I have read, Did that client come NEW with win10 or was it upgraded to win10 from something else it had before/
I have heard if you upgraded, that a clean reload with win10 will fix the backup problem.

That is all I can think of, if you do get it working, please let us know how you did it may help others.
Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:20 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thank you, Ruben Rocha and Gardian.

Unfortunately, further effort to troubleshoot this backup problem has not panned out.

Gardian, you are correct. I meant 2TB. I stated 2TB and MBR formatted drives so to eliminate >2TB and GPT as potential causes of this problem. There is only 1 drive in the system.

I have tried the following, none of which resolved the problem:

1. Doing a complete stock new (not upgrade) installation of Windows 10 Pro (does it make a difference that I am using the Anniversary Update).
2. Used the trick to register and restart VSS (volume shadow copy)
3. Changing routers, cables.
4. Did a chkdsk on the target drives (no errors found).
5. Turn off Windows firewall. There is current no third-party Firewall installed in the system.
6. Turned on Network Discovery in network configuration.

Just to clarify, the backup NEVER started properly, so the progress bar stayed at 0% until it erred out with the following message:

"The backup failed because your computer was unable to create a volume snapshot."

Can someone else give me some other ideas where I can start? I feel that I am close. It is obvious that there is a working solution somewhere because many users have shown this setup to be working...

:cry:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:20 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Have you tried the builtin win 10 backup?
Also, what size is your system partition? It should be at least 350mb.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:48 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I wanted to stick with the WHS solution since I had been using it for years.

For Window 10 (on my client), as I understand it, Windows recreates a hidden boot partition of 500MB, followed by the standard NTFS partition for the system where the OS is installed.

I have since tested it using a 500GB SSD. Same problem. For this installation. The C partition is about 434GB in size. The D partition is about 64GB. Therefore, this drive has 3 partitions (2 data partitions and 1 hidden boot partition created by Windows 10).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:59 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

OK, that kind of rules out the 2tb drive.
I wondered if you had tried the builtin win 10 backup because googling this error I see a lot of instances when you get this error with WHS you will also get it with win10 builtin backup as well, it is a win10 problem, not a WHS. I have also seen where the system partition has to be large enough to create the shadowcopy, but yours sounds like it should be large enough.
But, either way you want it to be fixed.

Here is a link to some stuff you could look at:
https://support.intronis.com/30_Knowledge_Base/22_Troubleshooting/65_VSS/Troubleshooting_Volume_Shadow_Copy_Problems
Most of the googling says:

Run checkdisk on all partitions
Run system file checker

Hope this helps, I would just keep googling:
Win 10 The backup failed because your computer was unable to create a volume snapshot
And limit the search time frame to the last year, that should help point it to win 10.
Good luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:14 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I can't remember If I needed to do this on all my win 10 clients , but after creating the backup settings.
I went back to reconfigure the backup and found some of the drives were not selected or were selected and the drive was missing and just re-elected all the drives hidden or not.
I think one client I had to do this because I had upgraded to win 10 after it was configured for backup to the server . It made a temporary drive for restoring back to win 8 and it self deleted after 30 days.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:05 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I've got 4 Windows 10 Home PC's that are being backed up on our EX485. Haven't had any issues on the backup side or being able to mount a backup to restore files. I've not had to do a cold restore and not tested it so not sure if that would be a problem but at least our files are backed up.

Sounds like your problem is local to the PC not being able to create a volume snapshot ("The backup failed because your computer was unable to create a volume snapshot."). Have you checked the System and Application event logs for related events regarding snapshot issues?

Scott

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:09 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

For the prosperity of another users who may run into this problem...

The cause is a bug in Version 1607 Build 14393.10 of Windows 10 Anniversary Update. The Volume Shadow Copy service is bugged. Version 1607 Build 14393.351 fixed this problem. Both PC Image Backup and WHS Backup works now.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:43 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Very Cool! Thank you for sharing the Win 10 News!!!!! I'm sure it will byte a few.
Great info man!!!!
Another good reason why I didn't upgrade to win10 :rofl:

Thanks